Ruins small children

MMW37

We will be in Progreso for the first time with Carnival in early May. Our two boys will be 2 and 5. If we would like to tour ruins, it looks like Dzib will be our best bet? Some stairs are fine, as we babywear and don't use strollers, but I'm thinking a long bus ride and heavy climbing would probably be a bad idea.

We will book through a private company - our preference. Is there anyone else to look into besides AP? I see that the Dzib tour and the combo with Merida are both listed as 4 hours - is this accurate? If so we will likely just see the ruins so we can spend more time there and swim. Any suggestions for what to do with the rest of the day? We aren't really into shopping or being hassled by vendors. Any other tours we should look into instead of this one? We'll probably do a beach day in Cozumel, so I'd rather not do the AI here.

Thank you!

Please consider that in May, the weather in Progreso and it's surroundings can be very hot (80°F - 90°F). Maybe you can consider going to the cenotes . You can take a look at "El Chorchito" reserve. Some local friends took me there, but I know there are companies that take you to the site. There is a cenote that is kind of a kid's pool, not very deep. Why won't you look with shoreexcursioneer? I have used this company for many of my excursions in Cozumel, Belize, Costa Rica and Costa Maya, every time with good results.

I will look at shoreexcursioneer, thank you! Thoughts on Dzib vs. Mayapan? The pyramids sound nicer, but that tour is more expensive.

Shoreexurrioneer uses Autoprogreso for the Dzibilchaltun tour. It is about a 30 minute bus ride. There is a sink whole the kids will enjoy jumping in. Dzibilchaltun

• 4 weeks later...
Any way you'd considering waiting to go when the children are older?

They are going to be hot, tired, and bored silly. :o

Nope, we travel several times a year as a family and believe exposing our kids to all sorts of places and activities is a good thing. To each their own though!

• 2 months later...

Dzibilchaltun is about 30 minutes from Progreso. You can take a taxi from Progreso if you want. There is a surface cenote swimming hole there, with a shallow end and a deep end. Note that you are not permitted to bring bags or backpacks into Dzibilchaltun unless they are fully transparent. They do have lockers where you can store your stuff.

A few months back I went on a Young Adventurer excursion with a company called YucatanCenote.com Eco-Aventuras Shore Excursions. They are a private local company who have designed a series of 3 different young adventurous family-friendly excursions. Pyramids, Cenotes and delicious meal. Because it is all private, you are on your own schedule and not that of everyone else.