Cruise Critic Community
Kiwicruiser25

Urgent shareholder advice - Carnival

I bought mine only a couple of months prior to claiming. I'd buy now, while the share price is so low. 

On 10/8/2019 at 8:52 PM, MicCanberra said:

Good luck. Price is now $40.91, the lowest it has been since November 2014.

Its tempting - still sitting at around $44 which is historically low. Am  I doing these figures right? 

Cost say $4500 for 100 shares 

Dividend say $200 

2 cruises OBC say $350 

So 550/4500 is 12% return (ignoring capital gain) I'm assuming the OBC is tax free? 

8 hours ago, lissie said:

Its tempting - still sitting at around $44 which is historically low. Am  I doing these figures right? 

Cost say $4500 for 100 shares 

Dividend say $200 

2 cruises OBC say $350 

So 550/4500 is 12% return (ignoring capital gain) I'm assuming the OBC is tax free? 

OBC could be in USD or AUD depending on where you cruise but apart from that your figures are good. We've been happy with our share purchase which we've had for about four years even though the current price is just a tad under what we paid. Still, shares go up and down all the time and we're not looking at selling them any time soon.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

OBC could be in USD or AUD depending on where you cruise but apart from that your figures are good. We've been happy with our share purchase which we've had for about four years even though the current price is just a tad under what we paid. Still, shares go up and down all the time and we're not looking at selling them any time soon.

I'm guessing it relates to the on board currency? WE're cuising Cunard out of Sydney but their on-board currency is US$ . If we cruised P&O Australia it would A$ ? 

I'm also wondering about this wording. They make the statement that OBC is available on cruises up to 31 July 2020 -and I read that this gets rollled over every at the AGM . But there is also this: 

Reservations must be made by February 28, 2020. 

So does that mean you can't book anything to get a discount from 1 Mar to 31 July.  We're doing our first cruise in late Feb - and  Iwouldn't book another one until we've done the first - does that mean we have to wait until 1 Aug? 

It has always been voted to continue the OBC at the AGM. I don't let the expiry date influence my future bookings.

13 hours ago, lissie said:

I'm guessing it relates to the on board currency? WE're cuising Cunard out of Sydney but their on-board currency is US$ . If we cruised P&O Australia it would A$ ? 

I'm also wondering about this wording. They make the statement that OBC is available on cruises up to 31 July 2020 -and I read that this gets rollled over every at the AGM . But there is also this: 

Reservations must be made by February 28, 2020. 

So does that mean you can't book anything to get a discount from 1 Mar to 31 July.  We're doing our first cruise in late Feb - and  Iwouldn't book another one until we've done the first - does that mean we have to wait until 1 Aug? 

Yes, OBC depends on the onboard currency. 

Usually you can't apply for shareholder OBC until three months prior to your embarkation date. It has nothing to do with when you book the cruise. I have cruises booked up until May 2021 and will be applying for my shareholder OBC at the appropriate time for each cruise.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, OBC depends on the onboard currency. 

Usually you can't apply for shareholder OBC until three months prior to your embarkation date. It has nothing to do with when you book the cruise. I have cruises booked up until May 2021 and will be applying for my shareholder OBC at the appropriate time for each cruise.

Thanks was having a senior moment! My partner is very keen. I think we should wait until we've done a cruise and seen if we like it LOL!  Its a bit terrifying for a died-in-the-wool backpacker like me!   The shares do look like they are at a fairly low price point at the moment down about 22% this year - and the main issue seems to be fuel price. As a long-term hold and as money we can afford to lose its hard to argue with him!