Need help with Melbourne day itinerary

SF

Our ship will be in Melbourne overnight and on the first day we'd like to visit Healesville Sanctuary and a winery nearby in Yarra Valley.

1. How much time should we allow for a visit to Healesville Sanctuary?

2. Are there any good wineries nearby that would be open on a Tuesday for tastings? Any that have food?

3. What is the best way to get to these places from the port? Since we are four people would we be better off hiring a private driver for the day?

Any suggestions on companies ?

Any information would be greatly appreciated as we are trying to plan our day.

I'd suggest maybe 3 hours (ish) to have a good look around the sanctuary - but that also depends on what you want to see, whether you're interested in listening to the "keeper talks", etc., which are spread out through the day ...pretty sure you can get that information on their website. Also depends on whether it's school holidays or not...school hols, be prepared for hordes of both kids and parents who push their prams everywhere without a care for anyone else ...and the likelihood that you'll see very little because everything has gone into hiding :o

I think the bigger wineries (Di Bortoli, TarraWarra, Yering

Station etc.) all have open cellar door/tastings through the week - though you might find you need to book if you're planning to eat a meal there as well. Can't comment personally, but family/friends have been to Yering and TarraWarra and enjoyed wine/food.

It's a fairly extensive list, so I've not trawled through it all - but might help - https://visityarravalley.com.au/things-to-do/wine?term_node_tid_depth%5B0%5D=256&&page=2 ...

There are buses that go CBD to Healesville Sanctuary but if you're wanting to visit a winery as well, I think you'd be better with a private driver (especially if you decide on one that isn't close to Yarra Glen or Healesville). Again, no personal experience (I'm from the general area - so tend not to do the local touristy stuff unless we've got overseas visitors) but I believe there are also a few private tour companies who do "wildlife and winery" tours ... that might be your cheapest option, especially if you can find one that's all-inclusive.

I'm assuming too from your post that you mean you're looking at doing all this on the day you're staying over? Otherwise I'd be a wee bit worried making it back to the ship...I'm not quite as far out as Healesville, but worked round Yarra Glen (next town as you head back toward Melbourne) for a wee while - and even ten years ago peak hour traffic wasn't a lot of fun.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. All the information you provided is very helpful.

Yes, we are planning to do this our first day so as not to have to worry in regards to getting back to the ship on time. We are leaving the second day to tour Melbourne.

You don't say whether you're Australian or an International visitor. That will make a difference to the answers we give. Healsville and the Puffin Billy Train are closer than Healsville and the vineyards. Also the ship will dock at Port Melbourne which despite it's name is a pleasant seaside suburb with a nice beach and plenty of shops and cafes. There's a tram at the end of the pier which takes you into Melbourne CBD but it's also a nice walk around the bay into the city.

Don't forget you'll want to spend the evening until dark watching the fairy penguins at the Phillip Island Penguin Colony. The shearwaters are also active at certain times of the year and the seals loll around all day of course.