Jump to content

Some Thoughts For First Time Crystal Cruisers


Keith1010
 Share

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Jdfireman said:

Looking to see if anyone knows the Casino times pre covid? 

Thank you 

This is going to vary by cruise.

 

In general if a sea day table open around 11:00 AM until Close (close is when people leave) and slots open all day.

 

If in port. opens maybe around 30 minutes after ship leaves and stays open until close; again late.

 

Keith

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, Thank you to Keith for all your help.  I think it is important to let you know the decisions we made based on your advice.  

  1. Prago:  You suggested that the second night, usually the Waterside has some special dining.  However, since this cruise picks up guests on the second night, it most likely will be the third night.  Based on that, reserved Prago for the second night.  Of all the specialty restaurants, it seems to be most folks favorite so if we like it, we may book it again. 
  2. Massage (Spa): Yes I said they were very expensive however I figured, it is a Post-Covid Vacation.  Booked 2:30 PM on Thursday in Long Island.  The thought is Beach or walk in the morning. Four days of beaches before this so it might be a ship day.  Give enough time for flexibility pre-dinner drinks and relaxation. 
  3. Umi Uma & Sushi Restaurant: The Last night of the cruise.  We love Sushi and this seems like an idea why to end the dining experience on a luxury cruise. 
  4. Swimming with the Pigs on Exuma: You suggested going to the CruiseCritic.com excursion reviews. With mostly beach excursions on this cruise, seem like a alterative would be nice.  Also, my wife was excited to see the famous pigs. 

For those of use that are on one of these Bahamas cruises, we need to get a Bahamas Health Visa. Unfortunately, you can't currently complete the request now due to the Bahamas Government only opening up the site for 14 day prior to your travel. Hopefully that will be expanded when the rush to get these Visa's are less popular. 

 

My last question for anyone that is a Crystal Past Guest.  Is the Vintage Room (Lunch, Champagne Lunch or Diner) a must do?  My wife loves wine however mostly Chardonnay.  Your thoughts will be appreciated. 

 

One of the most important things we can do on CruiseCritic.com is let folks know, whom give use information/advice; what we decided to do.  It is like saying, "See, I listened to you.  You helped me decision. So, thank you."  That is why I share the above.  Thank you Keith and everyone else that gave so much feedback to a first time Crystal Cruise guest. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

OK, Thank you to Keith for all your help.  I think it is important to let you know the decisions we made based on your advice.  

  1. Prago:  You suggested that the second night, usually the Waterside has some special dining.  However, since this cruise picks up guests on the second night, it most likely will be the third night.  Based on that, reserved Prago for the second night.  Of all the specialty restaurants, it seems to be most folks favorite so if we like it, we may book it again. 
  2. Massage (Spa): Yes I said they were very expensive however I figured, it is a Post-Covid Vacation.  Booked 2:30 PM on Thursday in Long Island.  The thought is Beach or walk in the morning. Four days of beaches before this so it might be a ship day.  Give enough time for flexibility pre-dinner drinks and relaxation. 
  3. Umi Uma & Sushi Restaurant: The Last night of the cruise.  We love Sushi and this seems like an idea why to end the dining experience on a luxury cruise. 
  4. Swimming with the Pigs on Exuma: You suggested going to the CruiseCritic.com excursion reviews. With mostly beach excursions on this cruise, seem like a alterative would be nice.  Also, my wife was excited to see the famous pigs. 

For those of use that are on one of these Bahamas cruises, we need to get a Bahamas Health Visa. Unfortunately, you can't currently complete the request now due to the Bahamas Government only opening up the site for 14 day prior to your travel. Hopefully that will be expanded when the rush to get these Visa's are less popular. 

 

My last question for anyone that is a Crystal Past Guest.  Is the Vintage Room (Lunch, Champagne Lunch or Diner) a must do?  My wife loves wine however mostly Chardonnay.  Your thoughts will be appreciated. 

 

One of the most important things we can do on CruiseCritic.com is let folks know, whom give use information/advice; what we decided to do.  It is like saying, "See, I listened to you.  You helped me decision. So, thank you."  That is why I share the above.  Thank you Keith and everyone else that gave so much feedback to a first time Crystal Cruise guest. 

 

Very glad I could help with many of your questions.  It's always great to help others and I have always appreciate when others have helped me.

 

I don't think they will be offering the Vintage Room Luncheons for several reasons including only one sea day which is the only opportunity for this and the short duration of the cruise and because of COVID-19 protocols. Should it be offered I highly recommend it.  It is a wonderful experience.

 

Keith

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Very glad I could help with many of your questions.  It's always great to help others and I have always appreciate when others have helped me.

 

I don't think they will be offering the Vintage Room Luncheons for several reasons including only one sea day which is the only opportunity for this and the short duration of the cruise and because of COVID-19 protocols. Should it be offered I highly recommend it.  It is a wonderful experience.

 

Keith

Well, you answered my question once again.  It did not say the specific day.  Now I know it is Friday which is the only seas day.  Your advise is appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure there is a thread here that covers this...We have a B2 cabin on Serenity.  Can anyone tell us what is slightly limiting the view?  Can't tell from the deck plans...I see that they are at the same location as the slightly limited view OV cabins a deck below...  EM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I'm sure there is a thread here that covers this...We have a B2 cabin on Serenity.  Can anyone tell us what is slightly limiting the view?  Can't tell from the deck plans...I see that they are at the same location as the slightly limited view OV cabins a deck below...  EM

Roy from our board has lots of photos of rooms at:

 

https://limitedviewcabins.wordpress.com

 

I am not sure if any of those are on his list.

 

Regardless the obstruction is minor.  If you stand on the verandah and look down you might see the gangway and/or its poles which hold them in place when they are not in use.  It is very minor and I would not hesitate to book them.

 

Keith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there any place on the Crystal website to report special needs, such as medical conditions and allergies?  I looked all over and the only thing under preferences is the bed configuration.  Would there be someplace if I had not booked with a TA?  She has taken care of it, but I think she thought it was a pain because Crystal is taking so long to answer.  (She is also busy moving...working remotely).  EM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Is there any place on the Crystal website to report special needs, such as medical conditions and allergies?  I looked all over and the only thing under preferences is the bed configuration.  Would there be someplace if I had not booked with a TA?  She has taken care of it, but I think she thought it was a pain because Crystal is taking so long to answer.  (She is also busy moving...working remotely).  EM

EM, even if you booked yourself through Crystal there is no place on the site for you to provide this information yourself.  If you have booked through Crystal yourself you would have contacted Crystal reservations and they would have noted this in your records which is what your TA likely did.  In terms of allergies once on board the ship you can also meet with the Executive Chef or Restaurant Manager who has overall responsibility for all of the restaurants to discuss allergies.

 

Keith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you.  I was afraid I was missing something.  The allergy is buckwheat, not common, but with the current fashion for 'healthier' foods, kashi has found it's way into galleys and kitchens. Kashi includes buckwheat in it's multi-grains.   She has had allergic reactions on Celebrity, Princess, MSC and one other.  A healthy dose of benadryl takes care of it eventually, but the next day is like the twilight zone...  EM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Thank you.  I was afraid I was missing something.  The allergy is buckwheat, not common, but with the current fashion for 'healthier' foods, kashi has found it's way into galleys and kitchens. Kashi includes buckwheat in it's multi-grains.   She has had allergic reactions on Celebrity, Princess, MSC and one other.  A healthy dose of benadryl takes care of it eventually, but the next day is like the twilight zone...  EM

You are very welcome and they will take good care of her.  Hope you enjoy the cruise.

 

Keith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 5:44 PM, Sthrngary said:

 

 

My last question for anyone that is a Crystal Past Guest.  Is the Vintage Room (Lunch, Champagne Lunch or Diner) a must do?  My wife loves wine however mostly Chardonnay.  Your thoughts will be appreciated. 

 

 

I loved our Vintage Room dinner. The courses were superb and the wines specially selected to pair with each course even better. The head sommelier guided the entire experience.

 

 But be aware of a couple of things. First, there is a substantial extra charge for it. The charge is justified--the wines are high-end and pour freely. And it really is a special experience.

 

Second, at the least at the dinner I attended, we started with a champagne, then a white wine (Savignon Blanc, not Chardonnay) with  the first course, then all the following wines (I think there were four more in total plus the dessert wine) were reds. I don't think this was unusual. So do be sure your wife will enjoy wines other than a Chardonnay

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me what is in the letter that comes with the luggage tags?  We sail Saturday, fly out Friday, and it appears we are not getting that communication.  EM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2021 at 5:58 AM, Jdfireman said:

Hello all is the pool on the ship fresh or salt water.  

Thank you 

I stumbled across a PDF brochure on Crystal's website that says it is saltwater (yay!). Wish I could find that document again so I could link to it for you but alas, I cannot. Had lots of good info. Maybe someone else here can help?

 

Karen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/7/2021 at 3:34 PM, Stickman1990 said:


The White Party is a very much optional event, primarily held in the reception/foyer area which is themed for the night - so by no means a mandatory dress code 

I have a special request regarding the white night attire - hoping it is okay to ask in this thread. Keith1010, a few pages back you posted several pictures of various outfits you and Ann Marie wear while on Crystal. That was great - thank you! If you have any pictures specifically from the white night event it would be helpful to me. I did see the ones you posted most recently, from July 4, but that was a special US Independence Day version. I would appreciate seeing pics from a more "normal" white night event from past years. Or if anyone could refer me to a specific blog post or other CC thread to have a look - pictures help me more than the descriptions.

 

I am so appreciative of all the information here and in other CC threads and SO EXCITED for our first Crystal cruise in October!

 

Karen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There were a lot of women in white dresses, mostly sundresses.  We wore white pants and colored tops.  I put on a white top with mine, and decided it was too much white...so wore blue instead.  EM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

There were a lot of women in white dresses, mostly sundresses.  We wore white pants and colored tops.  I put on a white top with mine, and decided it was too much white...so wore blue instead.  EM

Thank you Essiesmom. I did scroll through pics from Keith's 2019 world cruise blog & saw he & Ann Marie wore colored tops with white pants, as you describe. I have a simple white top I thought of pairing with a black & white skirt so seems that will work well. Though I should probably not wear that top to Prego beforehand. White clothing & pasta sauce usually spell disaster for me! 😁 

Thanks again for responding.

Karen

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2021 at 1:47 PM, chinocookie said:

What is the earliest time we can disembark when returning to Manhattan Port from Bermuda on November 19?
Thank you.

I would have your TA check with Crystal on this one.  Whatever you do if you are making flight arrangement I would add a delay to the disembarkation time just in case there are any timing issues on arrival or delays with disembarkation.

 

Keith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

We've been on our first Crystal voyage now for a mere 36 hours and without making this a PSA I can say it has been very impressive. We boarded in Miami 9 Aug 21 and already started comparing this Serenity experience to our Oceana, Viking, Celebrity, Norwegian, Princess, Holland, Carnival, the old Renaissance, etc.. for cuisines, entertainment, ship layout, stateroom and service. So far everything has been superb. Five more days to make a complete assessment but its trending towards the top!

Edited by jrandjr
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jrandjr said:

We've been on our first Crystal voyage now for a mere 36 hours and without making this a PSA I can say it has been very impressive

 

Great to hear you're enjoying your cruise - have a great time and experience all that Crystal and Serenity have to offer

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, jrandjr said:

We've been on our first Crystal voyage now for a mere 36 hours and without making this a PSA I can say it has been very impressive. We boarded in Miami 9 Aug 21 and already started comparing this Serenity experience to our Oceana, Viking, Celebrity, Norwegian, Princess, Holland, Carnival, the old Renaissance, etc.. for cuisines, entertainment, ship layout, stateroom and service. So far everything has been superb. Five more days to make a complete assessment but its trending towards the top!

Oh that gives me such hope for the future (Oct. 11)!

Glad you are enjoying yourselves & appreciate that you took the time to post!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are in day 4 and have had a chance to come down from the high of cruising again. Initially we were going to compare this to all 10 cruiselines we've experienced but decided just to compare luxury lines only to be fair. Oceania and Viking River are our only other luxury cruise experiences. 

 

Crystal has the edge on Oceania in all the following categories and it didn't take long to see and feel it.

 

SERVICE - crew can't bend over backwards any further.

ENTERTAINMENT - shows have left us wanting more. Love all venues.

STATEROOM - PS is much more roomy in similar category.

CUISINE - the specialty restaurants are simply outstanding.

BREAKFAST - Love the split times at different venues and no self service.

CASINO - spacious, airy and plenty tables and machines.

PASSENGER DIVERSITY - saw and met a very wide range of people.

 

Is there anything else to be considered?

 

Edited by jrandjr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...