bjay3

Budapest Taxis

We are getting into Budapest from Vienna by train prior to our river cruise. I am hearing bad things about the train station and especially getting a taxi outside the station to go to our hotel. Anyone have experience with taxis in Budapest or what to do from the train station. My phone won't work there so can't call for a taxi.

We are getting into Budapest from Vienna by train prior to our river cruise. I am hearing bad things about the train station and especially getting a taxi outside the station to go to our hotel. Anyone have experience with taxis in Budapest or what to do from the train station. My phone won't work there so can't call for a taxi.

When in Budapest we found Uber to be cheaper and better than taxis or public transportation...and again really cheap.

Hi BJ,

Can you get in touch with your hotel and have them call a cab for you?

Can you purchase a phone card to be used in Budapest?

Can you arrange for a limo to meet you at the train station? We use Blacklane.

My experience with cabs in Middle Europe is that it is best to call a reputable firm rather than hope to pick up an honest cab on the street.

We, too, were told to only book cabs through the hotel or restaurant. The one time we had to use one the driver was super nice, cab was clean and the fare was very reasonable. We were kind of left stranded by the Hop-On, Hop-Off and went into a nearby hotel to have them call one for us.

I have used BUDAPEST taxis at the airport and train station. Only use the cars in the rank and ignore anyone who approaches you, the meter will start w a small amount on it already. When I travel, I save the local hotel front desk number and a few local authorized taxis to my phone. The dispatchers speak English and it's worth the effort to not be stuck somewhere.

I have used BUDAPEST taxis at the airport and train station. Only use the cars in the rank and ignore anyone who approaches you, the meter will start w a small amount on it already. When I travel, I save the local hotel front desk number and a few local authorized taxis to my phone. The dispatchers speak English and it's worth the effort to not be stuck somewhere.

We prebooked private transportation from the airport to our hotel and were very satisfied. The driver was waiting for us and easy transfer. Less anxiety worrying about getting a cab, standing in the waiting line, etc. We booked through Viator and they were in contact with us any time we had a question or when we had to delay pickup an hour due to flight change. I am sure you can book as easily from the train station. Charge was $70, but well worth every penny.

Cole

I second the UBER recommendation. We were pleased with our ride from the hotel to the airport post-cruise. It was about 3/4 of the cost of the hotel arranged car which was about the same as a taxi would have been.

OP says their phone won't work .....

how then does one get UBER?

OP, have you looked into adding 'international service' to your phone? When I travel I do and it really isn't very expensive ...... if you have a 'modern smart phone' you need no other special equipment. Right now my iPhone 6 can be used virtually anyplace in EU 'on demand' ... if I make a call or send a text it costs $10 for the day (24 hours) and my existing limits (minutes and data) apply. This works fine for quick trips where I use the phone for emergencies only. For longer trips I buy blocks of minutes and data .... usually $40 a month carries me very well ....

Uber was even cheaper & much easier than taxis & public transportation. Most of our trips were about $8-$10 from Old Town where we were staying at the Hilton to the Pest side. We obtained international internet access for Uber acces by purchasing a SIM card before we left home & swapped out the card once we arrived in Europe. If anyone wants the name of the company we purchased the prepaid SIM card from I can look for the contact information.

I'm wondering if there is an official taxi line at the train station as there is at the airport. At the airport there is a booth where the person assigns you the taxi and tells you the fare. All on the up and up. I would go over to TripAdvisor and ask on the Budapest forums. There are always locals willing to assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Uber was even cheaper & much easier than taxis & public transportation. Most of our trips were about $8-$10 from Old Town where we were staying at the Hilton to the Pest side. We obtained international internet access for Uber acces by purchasing a SIM card before we left home & swapped out the card once we arrived in Europe. If anyone wants the name of the company we purchased the prepaid SIM card from I can look for the contact information.

I would if it's easy for you!!! Thanks

Here is the data card we purchased. This worked so well to communicate with those also travelling with us as we communicated by Facebook Messenger...very cheap.

http://www.telestial.com/data.php

Oh, you all probably already know this but just make sure you have an unlocked cell phone so you can swap out the SIM card.

I'm wondering if there is an official taxi line at the train station as there is at the airport. At the airport there is a booth where the person assigns you the taxi and tells you the fare. All on the up and up. I would go over to TripAdvisor and ask on the Budapest forums. There are always locals willing to assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree, airport couldn't be easier. Just hand the person in the booth your hotel address. No need for a phone or concerns with baggage delays. It was about $22 usd to our hotel by the great market.

I would love to know where you purchased the SIM card!