Holding passport for reposition thru Panama Canal

I am down to only a few pages in my passport and wondered if they hold your passport for a Panama Canal reposition Florida to California cruise?
No, they don't. We've only run into that in the Med and Baltic. Just out of curiosity, why would the number of free pages matter?
No, they don't. We've only run into that in the Med and Baltic. Just out of curiosity, why would the number of free pages matter?

Depending on the itinerary, you need to keep a certain number of pages available for stamping. Most people don't hit the limit, but if you are a frequent international traveller, you can get a passport with extra pages. You used to be able to get extra pages to add to your passport, but as of last year, you cannot.

Now you need a new passport when you run out of space.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/news/visa-pages-no-longer-issued.html

You can get a fat passport if anticipate a lot of international travel.

Depending on the itinerary, you need to keep a certain number of pages available for stamping.
Yes, I knew that ... but what I meant was how would that relate in any way to whether the ship or the passenger was holding the passport? :confused:
I am down to only a few pages in my passport and wondered if they hold your passport for a Panama Canal reposition Florida to California cruise?

We have done the Panama repo cruise on HAL three times in the last five years and our passports have not been held. We are doing the same cruise again next month and do not anticipate any chance in policy.

We have done the Panama repo cruise on HAL three times in the last five years and our passports have not been held. We are doing the same cruise again next month and do not anticipate any chance in policy.
It's my understanding that some countries require the cruise lines to hold passports, and that it's a nuisance that the ships would prefer not to contend with. If that's true, then it would be a change in some country policy, not a change in HAL policy.

I have two trips coming up. Panama Canal and a Norway cruise. If they stamp every port on Panama I will possibly run out before Norway with no time to get a new passport. I have three years left on old one, but not many free pages.

I have two trips coming up. Panama Canal and a Norway cruise. If they stamp every port on Panama I will possibly run out before Norway with no time to get a new passport. I have three years left on old one, but not many free pages.
Thanks for the explanation, but you can relax. On our FLL > L.A. cruise no one even looked at, let alone stamped, our passport between embarkation and debarkation. :)

When entering any series of Schengen countries (e.g. Norway) you will get one stamp at the first one, and additional ones only if you exit and re-enter the Schengen group, such a stop in Russia. What countries are you visiting on that cruise?

edit: HERE IS a list of Schengen countries

Edited by jtl513

No passport stamps on a Panama Canal cruise. If you want stamps you will have to ferret out where to get them as you travel.

As I recall, there are 3-6 non-US countries visited on a full transit,

non of which routinely inspect or stamp US passports.

On my recent trips to St. Maarten (flying) and a 21 day circle Caribbean cruise, the only stamp I got was entering and exiting St. Maarten at the PJI airport. Even US Immigration doesn't stamp your passport anymore when you re-enter the country.

It's my understanding that some countries require the cruise lines to hold passports, and that it's a nuisance that the ships would prefer not to contend with. If that's true, then it would be a change in some country policy, not a change in HAL policy.

I do realize it is a policy of some countries and not a HAL policy. I also realize my wording was a bit ambiguous so thank you for clarifying.

There are 2 questions here..

1) No, HAL does not hold your passport on the Panama Canal Cruise between FL and CA.

2) if you have 3 pages left in your passport book you will not need a new book for more pages for Panama Canal cruise. It's doubtful that you will get any stamps in the book on that cruise.

Regarding your additional information about a Norway cruise...

What countries are visiting? Are you flying to/from Norway? Flying or cruising in and out of Shengen countries, multiple times? Do you need to have visas inserted into your passport book? Some take a double page like, Brazil, but I don't know what Russia requires.

I'd say 3 pages is a quite a bit of room for stamps but if you may be doing a lot of international travel, consider getting your passport renewed early. It takes about 3 weeks, and I'd allow for 6 before your first cruise. If that amount of time is not available to you (did I miss when these cruises are) then you will have to hope for the best or pay for an expedited renewal which I think is $40, it's shown on the state.gov website. Then get it renewed after your return from your Norway cruise so you won't have worry next time.

It's nice to have traveled enough to run out of room in a passport! Good for you!! Enjoy, m--

We have done quite a few full Panama Transit canal cruises and they have never taken our passports anywhere along the route.

We have had the ship hold them in the Baltic, eastern and western Med, South America, etc.

Agreed... Med, SA and also have had our held in South Pacific. m--

I will fly into Oslo a week prior to embarking in Hamburg for a 12 day Norway only cruise and then flying from Hamburg back to Oslo before flying back to US.

I have one full page left, one page with three squares left and various singles throughout the book.

We did Panama Canal crossing on Windstar Star Breeze in December and they did hold our passports. As we entered Costa Rica from Panama they actually made an early morning stop in a small port where customs agents were based and our passports did come back to us stamped. We then sailed across the bay to our stop for the day, Puerto Jimenez. I wonder if that was because we be disembarking in Costa Rica later in the week.

Just got off the Zuiderdam Saturday from our Panama Canal cruise.

The passport requirement is for Costa Rica. I had to show my passport upon check in at Fort Lauderdale.. then it was safely stowed in the cabin safe for 10 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will fly into Oslo a week prior to embarking in Hamburg for a 12 day Norway only cruise and then flying from Hamburg back to Oslo before flying back to US.

I have one full page left, one page with three squares left and various singles throughout the book.

You do know that some countries have a requirement about how many pages MUST be remaining in your passport?!?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will get stamped at the airport entering Oslo from the US flight. No stamp after you fly Oslo to Germany as Norway and Germany are both under the Shengen agreement - look for the Nothing to Declare portal, assuming you have nothing to declare. Same for flying back to Oslo. I only see the need for room for one stamp.

I agree that some countries have a requirement that some number of pages be left in the book... I'd check each country's website. That's also where I learn how many months before passport expiration date each country requires. If you can print a screenshot of the requirements it may give you some peace of mind but really, I can't the need for concern for these cruises. But I always check the countries websites for the countries on my itineraries and go by the axiom, "Their country, their rules". m--