Beverage Package

sunny2runner

So we are thinking about having my husband get a beverage package and me not on our first Princess sailing.

I only drink 1-3 drinks a day or less on a cruise so it makes no sense for me to get a package when I would only spend $10-30 a day on drinks but he likes to have drinks all day long.

Can we do have one person have a drink package and the other not?

Just don't try to have him get you drinks using his AIBP. If one is caught "sharing" the package then you are charged for all drinks you have had to date and the cost of the package that you paid for is not refunded. Really a major bummer.

A bartender that we have now cruised with 4 times now, told us some interesting news on our cruise the 2/19/17 sailing on the Regal. He said princess is aware of all the sharing that is going on with the beverage package. He said in the very near future the beverage package is going to be revamped. He did not really going to far into specifics....

He also pointed out that he basically has to drop everything if someone in club class comes up to the bar. They take priority over everyone...

So we are thinking about having my husband get a beverage package and me not on our first Princess sailing.

I only drink 1-3 drinks a day or less on a cruise so it makes no sense for me to get a package when I would only spend $10-30 a day on drinks but he likes to have drinks all day long.

Can we do have one person have a drink package and the other not?

There is a thread, probably 3 weeks old, where a lot of analysis is done on the cost of the AIBP, relative to what people can actually drink in a day. I'm not sure there was a consensus, there usually never is, but it sure seems to me that you have to be a heavy drinker to get your money's worth out of AIBP. I think the math basically indicates that you need to have something like 10 alcoholic beverages a day for it to just break even. That's a lot of booze.

A bartender that we have now cruised with 4 times now, told us some interesting news on our cruise the 2/19/17 sailing on the Regal. He said princess is aware of all the sharing that is going on with the beverage package. He said in the very near future the beverage package is going to be revamped. He did not really going to far into specifics....

He also pointed out that he basically has to drop everything if someone in club class comes up to the bar. They take priority over everyone...

What exactly is club class? I keep seeing it mentioned.

We just did this on the 2/19 Regal cruise - my DH got the package and I did not. I did have a sip out of his drinks a few times, with no issues, but if I were getting a full drink, I used my own card. It really seemed to confuse the bartenders if he went up to get a drink for both of us, with just his card - meaning he got a free drink, and they charged his card for my drink. Made it somewhat inconvenient if we just wanted one of us to go to the bar for drinks for both of us. We did take advantage of the 40% off bottles of wine in the dining room, that we then shared. I highly recommend the Hogue Genesis Cabernet :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What exactly is club class? I keep seeing it mentioned.

Those in full suites and in the top mini-suite category are in Club Class.

The main benefit is that there is a section in a main dining room which functions as an anytime dining section for them with immediate seating anytime they show up at breakfast, lunch (sea days), and dinner.

Based on this thread, they also get priority attention at bars.

We just did this on the 2/19 Regal cruise - my DH got the package and I did not. I did have a sip out of his drinks a few times, with no issues, but if I were getting a full drink, I used my own card. It really seemed to confuse the bartenders if he went up to get a drink for both of us, with just his card - meaning he got a free drink, and they charged his card for my drink. Made it somewhat inconvenient if we just wanted one of us to go to the bar for drinks for both of us. We did take advantage of the 40% off bottles of wine in the dining room, that we then shared. I highly recommend the Hogue Genesis Cabernet :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I get the drink package my mom does not. But she does like a glass of wine with dinner. She drinks Moscato which Princess only serves by the glass. Many times I have gone to the IC bar to get us both glasses of wine before dinner, I can not tell you how many times the bartender gave me both without changing for hers. I have been told find me and I will take care of you. I don't seek out opportunities to cheat but I don't question the server. And I always tip extra in cash when using my drink package.

I get the drink package my mom does not. But she does like a glass of wine with dinner. She drinks Moscato which Princess only serves by the glass. Many times I have gone to the IC bar to get us both glasses of wine before dinner, I can not tell you how many times the bartender gave me both without changing for hers. I have been told find me and I will take care of you. I don't seek out opportunities to cheat but I don't question the server. And I always tip extra in cash when using my drink package.

I don't drink alcohol or most soft drinks, but I will order a club soda with cranberry juice when my husband orders his Scotch with the AIBP. I tried to pay for the club soda and the bartender just said not required. That's just good service and maybe because my husband orders his drinks straight up, the bartender can do it.

There is a thread, probably 3 weeks old, where a lot of analysis is done on the cost of the AIBP, relative to what people can actually drink in a day. I'm not sure there was a consensus, there usually never is, but it sure seems to me that you have to be a heavy drinker to get your money's worth out of AIBP. I think the math basically indicates that you need to have something like 10 alcoholic beverages a day for it to just break even. That's a lot of booze.

I have attached the most recent version of the Princess AIBP beverage calculator that I maintain.

Paul

Princess All Inclusive Beverage Package AIBP Evaluator rev4 posted 02-14-2017.xls

Edited by cruisincdns

Those in full suites and in the top mini-suite category are in Club Class.

The main benefit is that there is a section in a main dining room which functions as an anytime dining section for them with immediate seating anytime they show up at breakfast, lunch (sea days), and dinner.

Thanks for this!

Looks like a number of prices have gone up compared to the first edition of the spreadsheet. My wife used to get Gran Marnier for $5.75 and now it's showing as $8.00

Fortunately we both have the AIBP as a perk on our next two cruises. I shudder to think of the bar bill for a 28 day cruise with 18 sea days. :eek:

Thanks everyone for your input! We hadn't intend to share. Its just that I don't drink much and only like a glass of wine here and there and sometimes a fruity cocktail on the pool deck.

My husbands wants the freedom to drink whatever he wants/whenever he wants. The only time he cuts loose is on vacations so it may make sense for him to get the drink package especially some of the drinks prices seem high.

One additional question, does the cost of the drink package include gratuities.

Thanks everyone for your input! We hadn't intend to share. Its just that I don't drink much and only like a glass of wine here and there and sometimes a fruity cocktail on the pool deck.

My husbands wants the freedom to drink whatever he wants/whenever he wants. The only time he cuts loose is on vacations so it may make sense for him to get the drink package especially some of the drinks prices seem high.

One additional question, does the cost of the drink package include gratuities.

Yes.

I have attached the most recent version of the Princess AIBP beverage calculator that I maintain.

Paul

I wish I could view your calculator. I do not have any programs on my computer that will allow me to open it, but thanks for posting it anyway.

Candi

Just don't try to have him get you drinks using his AIBP. If one is caught "sharing" the package then you are charged for all drinks you have had to date and the cost of the package that you paid for is not refunded. Really a major bummer.

Interesting comment, is this fact, hearsay, rumour.

It may not matter much with only one person getting the AIBP. For us it would have been 4 people on a recent 7 day cruise with 4 sea days.

We did not have the package but did do the BOGO happy hours, Platinum discounted hours and champagne at Sabatinis breakfast. The AIBP would have been at best a break-even for us even with the free champagne factored in. I would also say we are at the upper-end of consumption while cruising. I thought it would have made sense for sure.

Whatever you do keep track of what you drink and compare it in the end to find out what makes the most sense.

... He also pointed out that he basically has to drop everything if someone in club class comes up to the bar. They take priority over everyone...

So, just how does a bartender know someone at the bar is in club class? Is there a certain glow about them? Do they wave their cruise card and shout it out? Based on one bartender's statement and without corroboration from Princess, I don't think the bartender is accurate that Club Class passengers get priority service at the bars.

So, just how does a bartender know someone at the bar is in club class? Is there a certain glow about them? Do they wave their cruise card and shout it out? Based on one bartender's statement and without corroboration from Princess, I don't think the bartender is accurate that Club Class passengers get priority service at the bars.

I have no idea. Just reporting what he said. I guess time will tell if he was correct.

So, just how does a bartender know someone at the bar is in club class? Is there a certain glow about them? Do they wave their cruise card and shout it out?

Maybe that bartender had served that person before and remembered from the cruise card that the person was indeed in Club Class.

The crew members spreading rose petals in their path might be a clue...;)