Carnival Hub App Question

hawkinsh

My cruise leaves in 15 days on the Triumph. I have installed the Carnival Hub App, but I am not sure what it does. I do not plan to buy the internet package. Can someone tell me what I will be able to do on the app once we sail away?

I used it mainly for the ship maps and Fun Times, but we did use the messaging feature as well ($5 each for the entire cruise)

Here is what the website says:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152/~/carnivals-wi-fi-service-and-hub-app

arnival HUB App

What does the Carnival HUB App do?

The following features are available at the touch of your fingertips, for your entire cruise while on board your Carnival ship.

What's Happening: A day-by-day schedule of hundreds of on-board events, available for the full cruise as soon as you embark!Includes a ?favorites? feature that also allows guests to see which events their sailing companions will attend.

Food & Drinks: A comprehensive list of delicious dining options and dining-related events, enticing refreshment venues and beverage-related events. Purchase from the app CHEERS! and Bottomless Bubbles beverage programs once on board.

Deck Plans: Searchable deck plans with key areas highlighted, providing a comprehensive layout of the ship?s various on-board offerings.

Account Balance: Real-time information on guests? current Sail & Sign shipboard account balance.

Pixels Photos: On the Carnival Horizon and Carnival Vista, you will be able to view your photos on the app and order digital or print copies.

Onboard Chat Access: The opportunity to chat with family & friends on board all cruise long from the comfort of your deck chair (this feature currently limited to ages 13+).

When looking at scheduled events you might want to do if you indicate that you want to go it will basically auto-create a customized itinerary for you and give you a reminder 15 minutes beforehand. This one feature alone is super-useful.

I was underwhelmed by the HUB App. It was helpful to look up times, but that was it. I would have appreciated weather, menus, interesting description specific to MY SHIP and more. I was also surprised that they didn't include the chat feature when we bought an internet package. I removed it from my phone while waiting to disembark.

How did you use the app without incurring roaming charges from your carrier (mine is Verizon)? This is what worries me. Usually we just turn our phones off before we embark. I'd like to take advantage of this, and even possibly the $5/cruise option, but am worried if I leave my phone on I'll get Verizon surcharges.

How did you use the app without incurring roaming charges from your carrier (mine is Verizon)? This is what worries me. Usually we just turn our phones off before we embark. I'd like to take advantage of this, and even possibly the $5/cruise option, but am worried if I leave my phone on I'll get Verizon surcharges.

When you board you turn your phone on airplane mode, then turn wifi on. It's over the ships wifi.

As others have said, put it in airplane mode and it is free to use the app for ship maps, schedules, dinning options, etc. but it is $5 per device to use the chat option (for the whole cruise) with anyone onboard that also has it.

So you get that if you dont pay the $5 a day fee?

Yes. The fee is only if you want messaging capabilities. And it's not $5 per day for messaging, it's a one time fee of $5 for the entire cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We don't sail for another 63 days, but I checked it out already. If you click the bottom of the countdown page, say you have boarded, it will give you instructions that say to put your phone in airplane mode so it doesn't do roaming charges. The phone through the app will work for the messaging only using a special sensory thingy in the ship (I'm VERY technical as you can tell).

My cruise leaves in 15 days on the Triumph. I have installed the Carnival Hub App, but I am not sure what it does. I do not plan to buy the internet package. Can someone tell me what I will be able to do on the app once we sail away?

We just used it on the Glory before she went into dry dock and loved it. It will walk you through the steps once your on the ship and very easy to use. But one warning, it will tell you what you owe on your account which I loved but quickly found that it will give a very accurate account of what you have spent and where but if you put pay off that while on the ship it does not show that you put any money towards the balance so I still had to go to guest services to see where we were at as far as a balance. We always pay the balance off before we get off the cruise. You will also have options for buy internet through the hub which we did so that we could keep in touch with everyone back home.

But one warning, it will tell you what you owe on your account which I loved but quickly found that it will give a very accurate account of what you have spent and where but if you put pay off that while on the ship it does not show that you put any money towards the balance so I still had to go to guest services to see where we were at as far as a balance.

Seems one would know how much they already put down against the charges (or just check the folio on the TV - if available)

On the messaging app when you get a message does it make any sound alerting you that you have a message? On my last cruise (Princess) there messaging was free but pretty useless didn't make any sound when you got a new message had to keep looking at your phone to see if you have any messages so we just don't use it.

We just used it on the Glory before she went into dry dock and loved it. It will walk you through the steps once your on the ship and very easy to use. But one warning, it will tell you what you owe on your account which I loved but quickly found that it will give a very accurate account of what you have spent and where but if you put pay off that while on the ship it does not show that you put any money towards the balance so I still had to go to guest services to see where we were at as far as a balance. We always pay the balance off before we get off the cruise. You will also have options for buy internet through the hub which we did so that we could keep in touch with everyone back home.

Did you use the Hub App chat feature? If so, what was your experience with it? We just booked on the Glory for next year, but eager to hear how it works because it wasn't available yet on our last cruise. I read somewhere else in the forum (for a different ship) that the chat feature was "sketchy," as they put it. Never receiving messages or receiving them after it was too late. We used iMessages with the Social plan last time and it worked well. If we hear that the Hub App chat feature isn't all that reliable, we'll use the app but skip paying for the chat and just get the Social plan again.

On the messaging app when you get a message does it make any sound alerting you that you have a message? On my last cruise (Princess) there messaging was free but pretty useless didn't make any sound when you got a new message had to keep looking at your phone to see if you have any messages so we just don't use it.

It wasn't available on our last cruise, but I've read in the forum that yes, it does alert you to new messages. My guess is, in the case of iPhones, you have to allow sound notifications for the app. Someone who's used it can confirm.