Any excursion recommendations for Norwegien Fjords

Tikka234

Hi can you recommend any excursions for these ports

Stavanger.

Flaam

Olden

Haugesund.

Looking at the Flaam train.

Our excursions are not up to book yet have looked at viator not much on for these ports

What do you recommend.

Also on the 3/4 hour excursions do you take packed lunch /snacks with you?

Thanks

Flam,,definately the train,,but you will have to book it well in advance because it sells out at an alarming rate and space is limited. We did the ships trip last year and thought it was very good. The queues in Flam around the ticket office were endless and they soon declare it full for the day and close it.

Stavanger is a nice enough place to spend the day just exploring the town and harbour etc,,some nice shops. I did the open top bus thing which is right there next to where the ship docks. I've also done the stavanger countryside tour which was,,in my humble opinion,,really quite boring and gave you very little time off the coach. Yes,,we had a good ride round the surrounding area of stavanger but I found it really tiresome to be honest. This year I will be doing the Lysefjord and pulpit rock trip from stavanger but as yet have not decided wether to do the ships trip or get one of the boats that do it there on the day. Lots of people say that the Viking museum and the old sardine canning museum are worth a visit,,and I may have dreamt it but I think they might be free..someone here will know for sure. I've also done the leisurely stavanger tour,,that was ok,,only a couple of hours I think so it gives you time for a wander round as well. It took you to the 3 swords monument and a good ride round. Personally,,I think that stavanger is the least Norwegian of the ports on the fjord cruises.

You can book Flam train online for half the price of the ship's excursion. Train station was about 200m flat walk from where we docked. All ports of call very easy to DIY no need for ship excursions. You can book good tours with local operators.

Have a look on the Port's of Call, plenty of recommendations there. There's also lots of information on Tripadvisor and Visit Norway website.

Stavanger - Definitely do the Pulpit Rock trip - it's very good. Unfortunately we had a rainy cloudy day when we were there back in 2003 so Stavanger itself didn't look as good as it could have done. Hopefully it will be okay when you are there. We're also back there this year on Arcadia and hoping the weather will be kind to us.

Olden - We did the 'Toy' Train trip which goes from just over the road from the ship and takes you around a lake, through the village and back to the ship - takes about an hour. We got off in the village and went and had a cake and coffee/hot chocolate in the little restaurant/cafe in the middle of the village - it was very good. The trip to the large glacier is well known and is apparently good, and the one to the lake and glacier is also recommended. Reviews of both trips say they are worth doing.

Flaam - many years ago we did a countryside trip that took in a wonderful waterfall, but the train trip is probably the one to do. Flaam is in a lovely position and is a very pretty little village.

Haugesund - never been. We're actually going there this year in July on Arcadia and will be just getting the shuttle bus (if one is needed) and walking around. It looks like it has a number of cafes etc around a canal (I think) which will be lovely if the weather is nice. We can live in hope! :D

Enjoy your cruise!

Stavanger - Definitely do the Pulpit Rock trip - it's very good. Unfortunately we had a rainy cloudy day when we were there back in 2003 so Stavanger itself didn't look as good as it could have done. Hopefully it will be okay when you are there. We're also back there this year on Arcadia and hoping the weather will be kind to us.

Olden - We did the 'Toy' Train trip which goes from just over the road from the ship and takes you around a lake, through the village and back to the ship - takes about an hour. We got off in the village and went and had a cake and coffee/hot chocolate in the little restaurant/cafe in the middle of the village - it was very good. The trip to the large glacier is well known and is apparently good, and the one to the lake and glacier is also recommended. Reviews of both trips say they are worth doing.

Flaam - many years ago we did a countryside trip that took in a wonderful waterfall, but the train trip is probably the one to do. Flaam is in a lovely position and is a very pretty little village.

Enjoy your cruise!

Stavanger

I would recomend the Pulpit Rock trip as I think that you need to find something to do, Stavanger was a bit subdued for us on a Sunday!

Olden

We did the Briksdal Glacier from Geiranger, which was an exceptionally long time on a coach, must be better from Olden and is well worth it, you need to do a bit of walking at the top to see the Glacier, but it is fantastic!

In Flaam we did a tour that involved getting another train at the top of the Flaambahn (Myrdahl) and went to Voss I think, where we had lunch we then had a coach drive back to the ship, excellent scenary on that trip, someone said on another forum that it is called Norway in a Nutshell, I cant remember!

Haugesund - never been. We're actually going there this year in July on Arcadia and will be just getting the shuttle bus (if one is needed) and walking around. It looks like it has a number of cafes etc around a canal (I think) which will be lovely if the weather is nice. We can live in hope! :D

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you were going July 30th are you on the same one as us?

I can highly recommend the Flora & Fauna excursion from Stavanger. The private island they take you to is fabulous. The King of Norway had a private birthday party there as did Prince Albert of Monaco and we could see why.

We have also visited Pulpit Rock but this excursion isn't as good as the above.

I can highly recommend the Flora & Fauna excursion from Stavanger. The private island they take you to is fabulous. The King of Norway had a private birthday party there as did Prince Albert of Monaco and we could see why.

We have also visited Pulpit Rock but this excursion isn't as good as the above.

I have tried looking for the Flora and Fauna excursion but not sure what I'm looking for

We have to do the 'at Leisure' trips as my wife is disabled. They are usually pretty good, but the Leisurely Stavanger (or equivalent) was dire and not worth the money. A couple of hours driving around between open fields with the odd house wasn't exactly riveting. A quick spin back and forth over the bridge afforded some reasonable views, but no photo stops. I would just wander around the town for an hour or two and then enjoy the ship whilst it's quiet!

Re the snacks, the tours normally go quite early so you are often back by 1pm-ish. As we have a big breakfast on holiday it's fine to wait til you get back onboard for lunch.

Also some of the Norway excursions have a stop for 'lapper' pancakes which were good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Re the snacks, the tours normally go quite early so you are often back by 1pm-ish. As we have a big breakfast on holiday it's fine to wait til you get back onboard for lunch.

Also some of the Norway excursions have a stop for 'lapper' pancakes which were good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

can you go off the ship again if you go back for lunch

In Flaam we did a tour that involved getting another train at the top of the Flaambahn (Myrdahl) and went to Voss I think, where we had lunch we then had a coach drive back to the ship, excellent scenary on that trip, someone said on another forum that it is called Norway in a Nutshell, I cant remember!

Yes,,there is trip called "Norway in a nutshell". I did it last year but for the life of me I cannot remember where from:confused:

It must have been Flam because I do recall it ended with the train trip down from Myrdal. It was a good day out and we had a brilliant young man as our guide. We also had a very good lunch at a nice hotel near a lake.

Not wanting to steal this thread but has anybody done a ship tour called " the roof of Norway " ? I'm looking at options for our May fjord cruise and I quite fancy this one. I think it goes from Bergen. I can't decide on this trip or just wandering around Bergen,,which I have already done twice. My husband and son are doing a hike but that's my idea of hell really!

I have tried looking for the Flora and Fauna excursion but not sure what I'm looking for

P&O do it, I was looking at it last night. I decided against it because it said that in May when I am going that the gardens are newly planted so there wouldn't really be that much to see. Shame really because As a florist it's just my cup of tea:D

A new cabel car is to be open in Loen 20 may 2017,around 6 minuttes away from Olden.

The cabel car take you from fjord and up to mount Hoven 1011 m over the fjord.

https://hovenloen.no/english#intro-en

https://www.instagram.com/loenskylift/

https://www.facebook.com/hovenloen

http://www.inthesnow.com/worlds-steepest-cable-car-yet-open-norway/

And its also possible to hire a car at the dock.

Welcome to Olden :)

Yes,,there is trip called "Norway in a nutshell". I did it last year but for the life of me I cannot remember where from:confused:

It must have been Flam because I do recall it ended with the train trip down from Myrdal. It was a good day out and we had a brilliant young man as our guide. We also had a very good lunch at a nice hotel near a lake.

If the place you stopped for lunch looked as per the photo yes it was from Flaam!

DSCN0576.jpg.dc974be2ea7360e2e7e7e3532aa5e4cd.jpg

Lots of suggestions from many kind people who may have a different view on port stops to you. Here is another from someone that likes to do things themselves,does not like being herded around like cattle, and tries hard not to conform to the cruising image when ashore. FLAM Exit ship early......walk approx 200m to train station.Purchase ticket for your return trip .....return 200m to ship for breakfast....and in my case hurry my wife along! We boarded the train in good time and watched the ships tour passengers being led across by the tour guide....saved 75%pp. Plus travelled with non ship people. Olden Exit ship......See TAXI sign. "See Cheaper than ship tours" notice next to it. They run mini bus and taxi to the glacier and other tours..We had a great day on our own ....saved 50%pp on ship tour. Stavanger .....Burgen....No trips for us here . We passed on visiting the homes of old composers and writers.For others that may be their cup of tea.We are active so had a great experience visiting the fish and general markets around the port area Also visiting the old wooden shiplap buildings near by.We exited the ship early ,went back to the ship for lunch and a nice sit down, and went out again for another stroll afterwards. We like to do things our way...So I would say go with what ever way you choose based on your own lifestyle and preferences. Above all have a great cruise and holiday!

When we went to the fjords in 2012 a tour to this island was also being offered by a local company on the dock just a few yards from where we berthed in Stavanger. Our table companions did it, said it was wonderful and a fraction of the price of P&O's tour. This was in mid-August; if you're going in late July you should see the gardens in all their glory.