Tell Me Why.....

Oville

OK, I get that this was not exactly the reason for your post, but may I ask, which was which?

And would you mind defining "boring" as well as "excellent suite perks" and "much better entertainment?" This way, when I read others' opinions about Viking, I have some comparative points of reference.

Thanks!

I have been on Oceania, so I have to assume that the excellent food reference is for them. True! They are pretty laid back when it comes to entertainment and their ships are smaller than Celebrity's which means 'boring' to some people. There is some daytime entertainment and an awesome afternoon tea. They use high quality food products and have European trained executive chefs and an Asian chef for their Asian restaurant. Evening shows are relatively small, some of the singers are really good.

I have only been on Celebrity's expedition ship in the Galapagos, so I have no reference point for their large ships. I have been on Princess ships with great evening shows and on HAL ships with good and mediocre singing. The larger the ship, the more things going on during the day up to the point of constant music bombardment inside and outside. I heard it when several ships were on anchor in Grand Cayman.

Well as the Original Poster of this thread I'm so happy to see it still it going on with so many helpful suggestions.

Someone early on dissed me about my title "Tell Me Why" saying "some subject titles are so short and not descriptive?" Well all I can say to that is I've learned so much from all of you who understood my question and thanks so much.

Katie

Bravo, Katie. Most OPs disappear from the conversation after the first negative comment.

I like your title. It is enticing. It excites curiosity. And we are still here after how many months and how many posts??

Okay, I see where I misread MayB in her boring quote....you clarified that quite well Ronbe65......and having sailed the Baltic after boarding in Barcelona, I offer up that for us it was a great itinerary...filled with history, varied cultures, beautiful scenery, and new adventures.

With respect to WWII, the whole continent and others are filled with the history and sacrifices - and I honor your perspective. My father is a WWII Vet who fought front lines in Europe.....and every time I travel there, I strive to learn more, and always respect more.....and I have to say that I asked and learned a lot, and gained insight and respect for facts I hadn't known previously about WWII, while we were on the Baltic portion of our cruise. So Boring.....not at all for us.

But that's just my opinion.

We will be experiencing Viking in yet another part of our world later this year and cannot wait to enjoy and soak up all there is to offer....explore more, learn more, gain new perspectives......and I am super excited that we are fortunate enough to do so on Viking.

Edited by Vineyard View

However, this is my point: Viking ships are too good for Baltic cruises ("overqualified").

I suggest that those who want to get the best of Viking ocean ships choose itineraries that are up to their potential as top class resort cruise ships: Caribbean, Mediterranean (May-September).

All I can respond to your suggestion is:

• Thank goodness Viking does not agree. There is nothing inviting about the Mediterranean in the high heat and crowds of the summer or of the Caribbean at any time (been there, done that, no desire to repeat).
  • Thank goodness Viking has deliberately chosen to be boldly different from the other cruise lines.
  • Thank goodness Viking has chosen to offer port intensive itineraries and to feature ports that are off the beaten paths.
  • Thank goodness Viking has chosen to focus on enrichment and culture and not shopping, snorkeling, steel bands and sunbathing.
  • Thank goodness Viking has successfully translated its river cruising milieu into a unique niche in the ocean cruising industry.
  • Thank goodness there are other choices out there for those for whom this kind of cruising and these kinds of itineraries are of no interest.

• Thank goodness Viking does not agree. There is nothing inviting about the Mediterranean in the high heat and crowds of the summer or of the Caribbean at any time (been there, done that, no desire to repeat).
  • Thank goodness Viking has deliberately chosen to be boldly different from the other cruise lines.
  • Thank goodness Viking has chosen to offer port intensive itineraries and to feature ports that are off the beaten paths.
  • Thank goodness Viking has chosen to focus on enrichment and culture and not shopping, snorkeling, steel bands and sunbathing.
  • Thank goodness Viking has successfully translated its river cruising milieu into a unique niche in the ocean cruising industry.
  • Thank goodness there are other choices out there for those for whom this kind of cruising and these kinds of itineraries are of no interest.

Totally agree with you.

Peregrina, I usually agree with everything you mention but I'm thrilled that they are in the Caribbean for the winter. We usually do sandals every march but in 2018, we're doing Viking.

Okay, I will ask questions. How would you describe evening entertainment? We have book a PH Veranda for a 7 night cruise. My assumption is that we get 2 specialty reservations per restaurant. Is that true on a 7 night cruise?

Thanks,

Katie

This assumes one really prefers the specialty more than the dining room. The main dining room on Viking is very nice. We did Italian one night and it was fine, but thought the dining room was better. (different than some mass market cruise lines). Then again, we though the buffet offered some some excellent choices.

Peregrina, I usually agree with everything you mention but I'm thrilled that they are in the Caribbean for the winter. We usually do sandals every march but in 2018, we're doing Viking.

As long as they don't put the entire fleet there for December/January, I'll be a happy camper. Hoping they open up some new and exciting destinations for December/January that aren't Mediterranean (and aren't Caribbean) because DH does not want to vacation in the same places time after time. He is very much been, there, done that, what's next?

It took me a good while before I "finally" got around to reading this thread but I am so glad that I did! And this post may be the best expression of what we all collectively felt when we opted to give Viking Ocean a try. I know it is not good to wish our life away but I can't wait for our "In the Wake of the Vikings" cruise in September 2018!

It is one of those say the opposite of what you actually mean kind of responses. One poster wrote and MayB was just throwing it back at him. She has not chosen to be bored and in fact it is qute the opposite.

Save

Thank you for understanding what I meant!

Since the fjords are on our bucket list, we had a fairly vast array of choices. It wasn't easy, and you know what? Don't tell Mr. B., but I'm hoping he'll love it enough in '18 to go again, further north, in '19, should we be granted the strength and ability. Then we'll start all over again, between our tried and true cruise lines and the other two we considered for '18 (Viking and Cunard).

As we love to say on the Crystal boards, choice is good!!!

And then I often like to say, I love CC.com. :D By that, of course, I mean I love the helpful members.

"I'd rather be blue over you

Than be happy with somebody else..." :)

May B, Have a very enjoyable cruise!

LOL, thx! Is it Elvis???

I'm enjoying your trip report although not finished yet.

No one would. That's why I would not choose Baltic cruises.

As I mentioned in my post that was my opinion (itineraries are 100% subjective).

In my opinion Baltic cruises are not boring, they are dead boring and sad.

The seabed of this shallow cold sea is a cemetery for thousands and thousands perished during WW2. This is not ancient Greek shipwrecks. This is a fresh wound.

Grey sea, low sky, cold weather.

Of course, sailing in fjords is more exciting. There are beautiful views there, no doubts.

However, this is my point: Viking ships are too good for Baltic cruises ("overqualified").

I suggest that those who want to get the best of Viking ocean ships choose itineraries that are up to their potential as top class resort cruise ships: Caribbean, Mediterranean (May-September).

So sad, about the Baltic. For students of WWII, all those sites bring "life" to the story, and provide many opportunities to mourn the perished. We've done this on our Baltic cruise on Celebrity, our stop at Cherbourg on way from Amsterdam to Istanbul, also on Celebrity, and on two AMAWaterways river cruises.

So sad, about the Baltic. For students of WWII, all those sites bring "life" to the story, and provide many opportunities to mourn the perished. We've done this on our Baltic cruise on Celebrity, our stop at Cherbourg on way from Amsterdam to Istanbul, also on Celebrity, and on two AMAWaterways river cruises.

Well said MayB.

I agree....Honor and respect

LOL, thx! Is it Elvis???

I'm enjoying your trip report although not finished yet.

Don't know who wrote it but Streisand performs in "Funny Girl" movie. It might have been done originally by Fanny Brice.

As I mentioned in my post that was my opinion (itineraries are 100% subjective).

The seabed of this shallow cold sea is a cemetery for thousands and thousands perished during WW2. This is not ancient Greek shipwrecks. This is a fresh wound.

Of course, sailing in fjords is more exciting. There are beautiful views there, no doubts.

I am at a loss to understand how it is boring to:

sail through the Stockholm archipelago;

walk on the 13th century city wall in Tallinn, visit the St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral,admire the view from Toompea Hill, and then immerse oneself in the World Heritage Site that is Tallinn old town;

stand in the Rock Church in Helsinki;

visit Copenhagen with it's picturesque canal front buildings, and it's impressive castles;

then crown the foregoing with fantastic St. Petersburg.

If loss of life in the Second World War is a reason not to cruise an area, then one would not cruise trans Atlantic.

I am at a loss to understand how it is boring to:

sail through the Stockholm archipelago;

walk on the 13th century city wall in Tallinn, visit the St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral,admire the view from Toompea Hill, and then immerse oneself in the World Heritage Site that is Tallinn old town;

stand in the Rock Church in Helsinki;

visit Copenhagen with it's picturesque canal front buildings, and it's impressive castles;

then crown the foregoing with fantastic St. Petersburg.

If loss of life in the Second World War is a reason not to cruise an area, then one would not cruise trans Atlantic.

Very Well Said! Your list brought back a wave of instant memories from our Baltic Cruise. Thank you!

Trigger Warning:

Avoid Danube, Rhine etc. river cruises. WWII territory & many Viking tours focused on the conflict!

It took me a good while before I "finally" got around to reading this thread but I am so glad that I did! And this post may be the best expression of what we all collectively felt when we opted to give Viking Ocean a try. I know it is not good to wish our life away but I can't wait for our "In the Wake of the Vikings" cruise in September 2018!

They should make this a "theme cruise" and outfit passengers with helmets, shields & swords to storm down the gangplank!

I too believe port excursions are more of a personal 'taste'. My wife and I have cruise on the Star twice (once on the Homelands and once on the West Indies) and both times we mixed both the included and non-included excursions. For example on our Homelands cruise we elected not to take the included tour into Berlin primarily because of the large time commitment, including long stretches on a bus both going and returning. But again, that's us. Most all excursions we've taken, both included and not, have been wonderful.

Etexvrc, did you tour St. Petersburg with Viking excursion or hire a local Russian tour company? I'm scheduled for Homelands cruise in July on the Viking Sky. Did you see a ballet?

Peregrina, We will take Viking Homelands cruise in July - this is our first cruise with Viking. I love this post - if we were not already booked, we would probably do so because of your thoughts. I have followed threads for months, and you are a wonderful source of information.

Luvnps, we are taking the Viking Homelands on July 15 with the Iceland pre-cruise add-on. By chance, are you on our cruise? How are you touring St. Petersburg --local tour company or Viking?

We have sailed Azamara, Celebrity, Paul Gauguin plus the big ships of Princess and RCL. It has been a while since we did the huge ships but I can speak to food and compare Azamara, Celebrity and Viking river because we have done all of them in 2016.

All the food was perfectly fine. Paul Gauguin could not be beat for food and the beautiful Tahitian islands.

Azamara and Celebrity are similar except Azamara has a back bar to watch sail aways and we personally liked that there was no formal night on Azamara. Celebrity's Japanese Restaurant was our favorite of any ship so we (and a whole lot of others) went to the Asian restaurant on formal nigh

Viking river was unique in that they use local, fresh food products and offer local food options so you get an extra feel of the places you visit. The wait staff on Viking is unbelievable. They are so accommodating. You can ask for extras or can ask for substitutions etc. We had the best food on Viking, not because they serve filet mignon or lobster each night, but because they had fresh, authentic food and a wait staff that is fabulous. We did try to see if we could get the same server each night. Food was very good and no one had any complaints and we travel with picky "foodies".

We are fortunate to live in an area that if we want to dress formally, see an opera or Broadway-type show, we can do it easily. We take these kind of trips for the places we visit and to get a feel for an area, it helps to also see and try foods of different countries. That isn't to say they just have authentic food but we appreciate that it is offered.

First time to try Viking ocean. We leave June 3 Viking Homelands and we will see if the river cruise philosophy transfers to the ocean cruises.

Trav25, I'm scheduled for Viking Homeland Cruise in July. Please share any advice/suggestions with me after your trip!:cool: What excursion are you taking in Russia--local company or Viking?