Cruising with Lymphedema and my Flexitouch.

I am getting ready to sail on my second cruise since acquiring truncal lymphedema post double mastectomy and DIEP flap reconstruction. On my last cruise I took my Flexitouch lymphatic pump with me and was able to fit in daily afternoon sessions. If anyone has any questions about managing lymphedema and cruising I am willing to try to help answer them.

At home I actually use 2 pumps at the same time to decrease the amount of time I am "hooked" up to the pump. When I travel I just take one with me and alternate sides each day.

• 8 months later...
I, too, have a lymphedema pump that i'm taking with me on my cruise. Do I need special permission? Did you pack it in a suitcase? Did you take it in the medical box it came in? Thank you.

Permission is not required . However if you think you'll need an extension cord you'll have to contact the cruise line's Special Needs Dept. as you'll require one approved by the cruise line.

Medical Equipment should always be carried on board.

I, too, have a lymphedema pump that i'm taking with me on my cruise. Do I need special permission? Did you pack it in a suitcase? Did you take it in the medical box it came in? Thank you.

njsonja - I did not ask permission to bring my pump on board. It was not in the original box either. I just packed it in a rolling carry-on and took it on board with me. Security didn't even ask to open the suitcase when it went through the xray machine. (this happens only about 50% of the time for me at airport security).

I'm so glad that you are able to cruise and take your pump with you. Having a chronic condition such as lymphadema certainly isn't fun but i'm glad the technology exists for lymphadema pumps. I have truncal lymphadema so at home I actually use 2 pumps at the same time to cut down on the amount of time I am hooked up. Since I have to do both my right and left sides I do them at the same time.When I travel I only take 1 pump with me and just alternate sides each night, left one night, right the next. It's not a perfect situatoin but I make it work so that I don't have to lug around 2 pumps.