How Late can you arrive

BuyRiteTV

Sailing on Breeze 11/5/2017 and have called Carnival three times and get different answers each time. My group will be in Houston and have a morning brunch. Can we get to the ship at 2 or 3 with no problem boarding. Carnival says 3 hours and one says 30 minutes before. Just traveled on NCL Gem and they stopped letting passengers on two hours before. Thanks for any help.

Just out of curiosity ... if you are going to be in port that morning, why wouldn't you board sooner? Usually the boat leaves around 4:00 (or so). Technically, you pay for embarkation day, why would you not want to board as soon as possible?

Just out of curiosity ... if you are going to be in port that morning, why wouldn't you board sooner? Usually the boat leaves around 4:00 (or so). Technically, you pay for embarkation day, why would you not want to board as soon as possible?

Because they are going to brunch. 😀

You are going to run into problems around then 90 minute mark before sail away because they have to finalize their boarding list for customs. I wouldn't even consider showing up less than 2 hours ahead. Even with a 4 pm departure they will be holding muster drill around 3 so they can get that done and everyone out on deck for sail away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Shaking head...... Can't wrap my brain around the fact that you would go to a morning brunch right before you're going to embark on a cruise. Dinner the night before or maybe brunch on disembarkation day if you have a late afternoon flight makes sense, but what you're doing makes no sense whatsoever to me and I can infer that there are others thinking the same way I am.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Shaking head...... Can't wrap my brain around the fact that you would go to a morning brunch right before you're going to embark on a cruise. Dinner the night before or maybe brunch on disembarkation day if you have a late afternoon flight makes sense, but what you're doing makes no sense whatsoever to me and I can infer that there are others thinking the same way I am.

You can shake your head all you like but not everyone has the desperation to get on board the second the gates open like cattle to the slaughter.

The OP asked about the latest they could board because their plans dictate it. Dismissing their choice because its not your preference is judgemental and (pardon the phrase) makes no sense.

This is what it says on my boarding pass for Breeze sailing on 4/9:

"Important information: It is important that you check-in at least an hour prior to our scheduled ship's departure. Should you arrive later than 30 minutes prior to sail time, you may not be able to board."

Happy sailing 😊

You can shake your head all you like but not everyone has the desperation to get on board the second the gates open like cattle to the slaughter.

The OP asked about the latest they could board because their plans dictate it. Dismissing their choice because its not your preference is judgemental and (pardon the phrase) makes no sense.

I hope they enjoy their brunch in Houston while everyone else is getting on board in Galveston. I assume that the OP never heard of Mr. Murphy and every vacation they have taken has gone 100% smoothly. Those of us who are experienced cruisers are just letting the OP know that it's our opinion that it's not a good thing to plan what they are possibly going to do prior to embarking. I wouldn't do it if the restaurant in question was at the port, let alone 1-2 hours away.

And since I have been Platinum for years, there's no cattle call for me.

I hope they enjoy their brunch in Houston while everyone else is getting on board in Galveston. I assume that the OP never heard of Mr. Murphy and every vacation they have taken has gone 100% smoothly. Those of us who are experienced cruisers are just letting the OP know that it's our opinion that it's not a good thing to plan what they are possibly going to do prior to embarking. I wouldn't do it if the restaurant in question was at the port, let alone 1-2 hours away.

And since I have been Platinum for years, there's no cattle call for me.

Mr. Murphy?

Depends on where in Houston they are having brunch. I live on the south side in the Clear Lake area. If they are brunching on this side they should be OK as long as they don't dawdle over a pitcher of mimosas after they finish eating. Much farther north and I wouldn't recommend it due to the possibility of traffic problems.

I have boarded as late as 3:00 p.m. for a 5:00 p.m. sail away. If the ship leaves at 4 I wouldn't arrive later than 2:30 p.m..

On lines where we are not top tier and get priority boarding we usually show up around 1:30 to 2:00 p.m. and not have to deal with the crowds.

Take care,

Mike

Unless your brunch is set in stone...I think your group should change plans. There are so many things that could go wrong and I, personally, wouldn't take the chance of missing my cruise. I agree, Mr. Murphy, has almost ruined quite a few vacations of mine. The stress of trying to beat whatever he set in my way wasn't worth it. Now, I leave for wherever I'm going early to give myself lots of time.

I hope you and your group have an awesome cruise whatever you decide.:D

With the length of the drive I would equate this with arriving by air to the port city the morning of the cruise. Not something I would chance with a 4 pm sail away.

The Department of Homeland does like all passengers to be done with the security and physical check-in 90 minutes prior to sail away and most cruises schedule the mandatory on board safety drill about 1 hour prior to the scheduled departure. So in this scenario that would mean the OP's group would need to be at least pulling up to the cruise terminal by 2 pm, quickly handing off all checked luggage to the few porters that will be around, and pray there are no snags with anyone in the group going through security, with the carry-on luggage, or changes needed to be made at the check-in desk.