Celebrity Edge....2018

RMS Olympic

This ship looks amazing! Such a great job that Celebrity has done. It's always nice when the build-up is worth it!

We have no interest in Caribbean cruises, so we will have to take a pass on this ship until it (hopefully) moves to Europe in Summer 2019. Too bad that they saddled it with such a bland itinerary, but we will be anticipating reports back from those who are on the first voyages.

Michael

What is an "infinite verandah"? A balcony with no railing?

It's kind of a clever concept. Take a window like you see on many river cruise ships - wide, and the top half lowers down to create a railing. Then about 10-12 feet back from the window, put a set of French doors. Depending on how the window and doors are open or closed, you create an indoor/outdoor space where a balcony would be. Here's a floor plan:

72-12.jpg

(Via https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Celebrity-Edge)

I priced out a spring 2019 sailing on our preferred aft corner Sky Suite, and it's about a 50% premium over the same suite, same itinerary on the Reflection. Um, that gives me some serious second thoughts.

(Also, the Reflection is a lovely ship and I'm quite happy with that!)

• 2 weeks later...
We booked Feb 3 as well. It's going to be a long wait [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes it's a long wait but that gives us lots of time to cruise all the other new ships. Like the Symphony.

We're sailing with our Aussie Family.

We can't wait.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm hoping the pricing won't be too out of control too quickly. Planning on booking onboard for an April 2019 sailing.

Pricing thus far seems in line with other Celebrity trips. I'm more concerned about issues with a brand new ship. We usually like to wait a year, so the kinks are worked out.

The Edge is a beautiful ship with few new modern features. Unfortunately it seems like it seriously lacks in terms of activities. It seems like it's geared toward a boring uptight crowd.

A little early to judge I think since they have only revealed only a portion of the ship. Besides there's a ship fir everyone and not every cruise ship has to be an amusement park to be fun.

• 1 year later...
On 3/15/2017 at 4:44 PM, RMS Olympic said:

I wonder if the opening of the glass doors will automatically turn off the air conditioning. If not the cooling system is going to be taxed to the max.

It looks like the way these are designed, the inner door and the outer door cannot be open at the same time.  I'll be finding out in person in a couple of weeks!

1 hour ago, Tom.Kitten said:

It looks like the way these are designed, the inner door and the outer door cannot be open at the same time.  I'll be finding out in person in a couple of weeks!

Looking forward to your review!

Our sailing is 24 Nov 2019....

bon voyage

On 4/9/2017 at 6:06 PM, Seadragon555 said:

Anyone know why Celebrity's Edge is not booking a TA from Europe to Miami before starting service in the Caribbean? Seems like a huge waste of fuel and time to not give passengers a chance to enjoy a TA on a brand new ship.

They are using this voyage to get the crew ready and work out any kinks.  We will be on board in April, not looking forward to yet another Caribbean cruise, but can't wait to explore the new ship !

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2017 at 4:09 PM, starri said:

I'm hoping the pricing won't be too out of control too quickly. Planning on booking onboard for an April 2019 sailing.

I booked for Easter week though rFamily vacations out of NYC.  Our cabin was more than $1k less than the brochure rate.  You might contact them to see if there are any cabins left from there inventory.