tbmrt

What did you wish you brought with you to DR or Cuba cruise other than "usual" stuff?

Since the Fathom itineraries are different than most, thought this would be a fun thread.

Since the Fathom itineraries are different than most, thought this would be a fun thread.

Nothing. I was perfectly happy with what I brought. You don't need anything "special" - i guess the only difference would be something you don't mind getting dirty or throwing away if you are doing trees, filters, or floors in the DR. But Cuba you don't need anything different.

fathom asks specifically that you NOT bring *things* to give the people on the ground because that sets up a false economy for the people. And it's true - now that they're pulling out, while ships are going to Havana, the big things on the seas now cannot get into Santiago or Cienfuegos - those people who might have gotten things from passengers and sold them for money are now going to be without that extra income. And in the DR, I can't see many people paying for excursions where they'll be doing work. I just hope that what has been set up is sustainable.

For the majority of the activities in the DR, long pants (or at least below the knee) and close-toed shoes are required. You don't find that out from the online descriptions and there were some people who were not prepared.

If you are doing the teaching English, make sure you have conservative clothes with shirts that cover your shoulders.