Edge Sky Suites - What's the Scoop?

vtcruising

I've seen a number of pix and there are cross bars between the tracks on each deck that may cause an obstructed view for the S3 cabins. CC posted a picture today on FB and the cross bars are quite visible. Check this out, the FB picture showed the bar on all decks and one pic they were the same orange.

Not seeing any orange cross bars on any of the pictures you linked to. Could you post an actual picture to illustrate?

Not seeing any orange cross bars on any of the pictures you linked to. Could you post an actual picture to illustrate?

On the USA Today scroll down a bit and a small pic on the left with Richard Fain.

On the USA Today scroll down a bit and a small pic on the left with Richard Fain.

From looking at the renderings I don't think that the orange cross bars should interfere with the view. I believe that they are basically just where the end of your balcony stops and the railing sits on top. I don't believe that the "overhang" created by the bars will be any different than the overhang on any other conventional balcony on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm trying to get a feel for the balcony situation on the S3's. Based on what I can see from the data we have, the way my brain is interpreting it is that the outer balcony edge head on will be within the track of the MC. Yet, it *looks* in pictures to be completely enclosed on all sides. Is this accurate? Is the front infinite in nature, where the top glass slides down? Or is it conventional? Will they have the new interior opening glass or the old sliding style?

I'm on the fence A1/S3; leaning more S3 to try out the Retreat and Luminae (haven't been in a SS since right before Luminae launched so it'd be new to me and DH). We don't mind shade on the balcony- our fave A1's are the ones right below the cantilevered arms. I just wonder how much fresh air we'd be getting on the S3 balcony and what our side to side view would be.

For the price differential- I'd hope the view isn't as crappy as my mind is picturing.

Without any hesitation, grab the S3! The suite experience is wonderful. The last couple of times in AQ were a dissappointment. Blu was mediocre at best

I've seen a number of pix and there are cross bars between the tracks on each deck that may cause an obstructed view for the S3 cabins. CC posted a picture today on FB and the cross bars are quite visible. Check this out, the FB picture showed the bar on all decks and one pic they were the same orange.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=1130

Oh, I just found this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2017/03/13/celebrity-edge-new-ship-magic-carpet/99123424/

The Cruise Critic link also says this (see below). Note the word "all". There seems to lots of different info on the Sky Suites. Wish Celebrity would just come out and define the specs and offering of each cabin category clearly. Maybe it is possible that based on initial customer feedback from the recent reveal they could change things. Lots of time to change the inner offerings of a cabin design before the actual buildout starts.

"There will also be 146 one-bedroom Sky Suites onboard, all with outward facing king-sized beds."

Just booked an S3 and adjoining C2 for DH 50th. Passed On the CS because I wanted the outward facing bed... will be disappointed if that is not the configuration. Also all of the aft S1 with adjoining SV rooms are sold out. There are no S2 with adjoining rooms so this was our only option, or a CS. I hope I made the right decision. We will also get to experience the infinite veranda in our sons room.

Just booked an S3 and adjoining C2 for DH 50th. Passed On the CS because I wanted the outward facing bed... will be disappointed if that is not the configuration. Also all of the aft S1 with adjoining SV rooms are sold out. There are no S2 with adjoining rooms so this was our only option, or a CS. I hope I made the right decision. We will also get to experience the infinite veranda in our sons room.

That sounds like a great option for your family. We are also hoping for an outward facing bed in the S1, but with a new ship and so many new things to see and do, we might not spend a lot of time in bed! ;)

I'm trying to get a feel for the balcony situation on the S3's. Based on what I can see from the data we have, the way my brain is interpreting it is that the outer balcony edge head on will be within the track of the MC. Yet, it *looks* in pictures to be completely enclosed on all sides. Is this accurate? Is the front infinite in nature, where the top glass slides down? Or is it conventional? Will they have the new interior opening glass or the old sliding style?

I'm on the fence A1/S3; leaning more S3 to try out the Retreat and Luminae (haven't been in a SS since right before Luminae launched so it'd be new to me and DH). We don't mind shade on the balcony- our fave A1's are the ones right below the cantilevered arms. I just wonder how much fresh air we'd be getting on the S3 balcony and what our side to side view would be.

For the price differential- I'd hope the view isn't as crappy as my mind is picturing.

I was looking at this video today more closely and got a better idea about the look of the nice big S3 balconies and what the views/impact of the Magic Carpet rails might be. Freeze it on the frame at 2:58 to get a nice view of the S3 balconies. When The Magic Carpet is on deck 5 in frame 3:00, you can get a feel of what the S3's on deck 6 might see when it is docked there.

https://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=celebrity+edge+news&s_it=video-ans&sfVid=true&videoId=8589A4EE3DC803FB7D5E8589A4EE3DC803FB7D5E&s_chn=prt_btest-accessible-test-g&v_t=comsearch-txtlnkusaolp00000051

Looking at frame 3:51 makes me look forward to dinner on the MC when it is on deck 16 (I think that is where it is in that frame). Wow!

For those who want a suite in the aft with a nice big balcony, there is an aft S1 available on the 1/27/19 cruise on the Celebrity site this morning. It is 12260 and I almost traded our S1 that is on a lower deck, but was nervous that it was similar to the Solstice class ships where it would have a large overhang (and is under a public space).

I'll hang onto what we have, but anyone looking for an aft S1 for that cruise, there is one available. It probably won't be there for very long - they have been sold out since the first week. When I saw an aft S1 that had popped up early one morning a couple of weeks ago, I tried to put a hold on it and it said it was no longer available. A friend of mine on that same cruise later emailed me that she had booked that cabin that morning. :D

For those who want a suite in the aft with a nice big balcony, there is an aft S1 available on the 1/27/19 cruise on the Celebrity site this morning. It is 12260 and I almost traded our S1 that is on a lower deck, but was nervous that it was similar to the Solstice class ships where it would have a large overhang (and is under a public space).

I'll hang onto what we have, but anyone looking for an aft S1 for that cruise, there is one available. It probably won't be there for very long - they have been sold out since the first week. When I saw an aft S1 that had popped up early one morning a couple of weeks ago, I tried to put a hold on it and it said it was no longer available. A friend of mine on that same cruise later emailed me that she had booked that cabin that morning. :D

I have that suite booked on the Feb 3rd cruise. I have never been on Celebrity or had an aft cabin. I booked it for the large balcony, and because it appears the suite restaurant is on that deck. I am now nervous about the noise from the public deck above, does anyone have any experience that they can share?

I have that suite booked on the Feb 3rd cruise. I have never been on Celebrity or had an aft cabin. I booked it for the large balcony, and because it appears the suite restaurant is on that deck. I am now nervous about the noise from the public deck above, does anyone have any experience that they can share?

We won't know for sure about the noise until the first people to stay in that suite start reporting in and who knows what will be above that deck - it may be a quiet venue. I too was tempted because the aft S1s are the only suites that are isolated from the "suite compound" - those on the 12th deck have a direct path to Luminae and then a quick trip up the stairs or elevator for the Retreat lounge and pool area. My gut feeling is that it is a good choice, but time will tell.

The reviews of the S class S1s on the deck under the OVC are mixed - many seemed not to be bothered by noise and hopefully Celebrity took the noise issue into account when designing this ship and will try to avoid the same issue. We have friends in 12259 (12th deck port side) on the cruise before yours - they are very much looking forward to being in that suite and are watching for it to open up the other week of their b2b.

We try to sail in aft cabins when possible - the views are amazing and those huge balconies in the S1s are big enough for loungers and a bigger table for meals (hope they are included on Edge class). It should be a wonderful first experience with Celebrity for you!

Thank you very much for the info, I appreciate it. Your friend doing the b2b are they waiting for 1259 to open up on the Feb 3rd date, I only ask because I just looked and I am in that cabin, not 1260 as I mistakenly said before.

Thanks, actually it is for the cruise prior to the 1/27 cruise. :)

• 2 months later...

Now that there has been the Eden reveal, the aft of the ship has been revealed. For those of us booked in aft S1's, we can now see what the balconies look like.

These are the things I've noticed:

-The balconies are not wrap around like the S1's on S Class

-No port holes in the S1's (there are a few port holes seen, but not for each S1 and seem too far forward)

-The balconies look completely covered - they appear to be private, but likely won't be as sunny as the S Class S1's. Good for those who like shade, but not as good for us sun worshippers.

7b5ae0339725b130f118733fa51031fd.jpg

So I'm trying to figure out (insert noggin scratch here) where the MDR (if any) will be?

Good question! Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to find out. Here is a quote from the Eden FAQs that kk99 posted:

20. When will all specialty dining be available for booking?

We will have a full Culinary Reveal in the near future where we will announce all the dining, restaurant and bar concepts and reservation information.

Hopefully, since it is a "full Culinary Reveal," the MDR info will be there (whether there is one or not and where it is).

Good question! Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to find out. Here is a quote from the Eden FAQs that kk99 posted:

20. When will all specialty dining be available for booking?

We will have a full Culinary Reveal in the near future where we will announce all the dining, restaurant and bar concepts and reservation information.

Hopefully, since it is a "full Culinary Reveal," the MDR info will be there (whether there is one or not and where it is).

Maybe instead of one MDR they will do what Disney does: have several MDR-esque venues for guests to rotate through. Your waitstaff rotates with you. Met parents did a Disney cruise and experienced that concept. They really enjoyed it.

Maybe instead of one MDR they will do what Disney does: have several MDR-esque venues for guests to rotate through. Your waitstaff rotates with you. Met parents did a Disney cruise and experienced that concept. They really enjoyed it.

Given that when I booked I was given an option of late dining or Select, that tells me there is at least one MDR - otherwise why bother with a dining time?

As for rotational dining, the three rooms on Disney ARE in fact MDRs. It is not "MDR-esque". Disney ships have three Main Dining Rooms. And NO Select or My Time dining. Rotational dining and Select wouldn't work without a lot of headaches and complaining from everyone.

So to me that very headache idea and the fact that I have Select dining tells me one MDR. Or maybe two - one for traditional dining and one for Select. (Or the way I've seen it on RCCL Radiance class where the MDR is two levels and My Time had one while traditional had the other.)

So I'm trying to figure out (insert noggin scratch here) where the MDR (if any) will be?

Looking at photos of the outside of the ship, towards the aft section with the big windows, I would say the MDR will be on decks 3 and 4, maybe even part of 5. This would be forward of Eden. With the limited info we have on the deck plans, I still think it makes sense to be in that general area. Then again Celebrity may do something totally new and creative and push it to the "Edge".:)

Back to OP's original question: Celebrity has still not resolved the ambiguity of the floor plans for the various types of Sky Suites [i asked at the NY dog-and-pony show and no one there knew half as much as those of us on CC have known for months!] I had expected to find out when I opened the door to my S3, but I am increasingly leaning toward using my concurrent reservations on Equinox instead. Who knows how much longer the wonderful Hot Glass Show will be around, while the Edge class can be sampled at any time over the next 10-20 years.

• 8 months later...

Bringing this thread back to life, anyone have more info on the configurations for Sky Suites yet? Still seems to be that we'll find out when the first preview cruises happen. Not good for people who like to plan! I don't know if I would be willing to do an S3 if that is the configuration with the bed facing the sea (my preference) because of the MC - I booked an S2 port side because I like to be able to see forward and aft. Hopefully all the beds face the sea but I've been taking bits and pieces of info trying to figure it out ;p

Bringing this thread back to life, anyone have more info on the configurations for Sky Suites yet? Still seems to be that we'll find out when the first preview cruises happen. Not good for people who like to plan! I don't know if I would be willing to do an S3 if that is the configuration with the bed facing the sea (my preference) because of the MC - I booked an S2 port side because I like to be able to see forward and aft. Hopefully all the beds face the sea but I've been taking bits and pieces of info trying to figure it out ;p

I still haven't been able to figure it out either. For my 2 three night preview cruises I have an S1 for the 1st one and recently switched to an S3 for the 2nd one. I decided that I didn't want to leave the suite life after 3 days and the S3's seem like an adventure. I booked one toward the aft end. The balcony also has an interesting window toward the aft. I also will be front and center for MC action (but booked one a few decks up from 5 and a few down from 12 so less noise maybe when being used. I am hoping the S3 beds are facing the ocean as depicted - I like the window/mirror in the bathroom too. The balconies on the S3's are bigger than the S2's (102 sf vs 79 sf - S1's are 163 sf).

I think if I had been booking it for 7 days, I would have gone with the S2 (if no S1 available) until others reported back. The preview cruises are going to be exploration cruises for me and I am willing to have a little adventure in my life. :D Normally, I don't like to take chances with my vacations. It will be interesting to see if those S3's will be loved or hated.

I still haven't been able to figure it out either. For my 2 three night preview cruises I have an S1 for the 1st one and recently switched to an S3 for the 2nd one. I decided that I didn't want to leave the suite life after 3 days and the S3's seem like an adventure. I booked one toward the aft end. The balcony also has an interesting window toward the aft. I also will be front and center for MC action (but booked one a few decks up from 5 and a few down from 12 so less noise maybe when being used. I am hoping the S3 beds are facing the ocean as depicted - I like the window/mirror in the bathroom too. The balconies on the S3's are bigger than the S2's (102 sf vs 79 sf - S1's are 163 sf).

I think if I had been booking it for 7 days, I would have gone with the S2 (if no S1 available) until others reported back. The preview cruises are going to be exploration cruises for me and I am willing to have a little adventure in my life. :D Normally, I don't like to take chances with my vacations. It will be interesting to see if those S3's will be loved or hated.

I have an S1 corner aft balcony on deck 11 and heard they would be even bigger than the other s1’s, but of course will not know until someone reports back, as my cruise is the first TA...I booked as soon as they were released...I agree that it will be interesting to see what you and others say about these suites...I was on the original inaugural, but decided to cancel and gather more information.

I also was able to book our specialty restaurants for six of us who are cruising together, so that we could get the times we wanted, along with dates. I have a feeling that these are going to be fast sellers and may sell out early, but again, just my guess. Lots of conjecture at this point, but staying reserved with a touch of excitement...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

I have an S1 corner aft balcony on deck 11 and heard they would be even bigger than the other s1’s, but of course will not know until someone reports back, as my cruise is the first TA...I booked as soon as they were released...I agree that it will be interesting to see what you and others say about these suites...I was on the original inaugural, but decided to cancel and gather more information.

I also was able to book our specialty restaurants for six of us who are cruising together, so that we could get the times we wanted, along with dates. I have a feeling that these are going to be fast sellers and may sell out early, but again, just my guess. Lots of conjecture at this point, but staying reserved with a touch of excitement...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My corner aft S1 on the 11/21 cruise is on deck 11 as well so I will report back and take lots of photos. I am realistic, but have more than a touch of excitement! :D

My corner aft S1 on the 11/21 cruise is on deck 11 as well so I will report back and take lots of photos. I am realistic, but have more than a touch of excitement! :D

Wow!! That’s exactly what we have on the May 2019 Iberian Peninsula sailing!! I can’t wait to see your photos! [emoji2][emoji991][emoji568]

I’ll be reading every review posted about the Edge. We are really looking forward to sailing on her.