New UPDATED Current list of Cruise Directors (CD)

When I booked Symphony TA the first day it was offered, there was no clue who the CD or any other staff would be. RC moves CDs enough that I sure wouldn’t be trying to book a cruise based on who the personnel onboard is. On Symphony, we have at least 300 other passengers we know, we have CC activities that will be great, and the entertainment RC provides each week (musical, ice show, production shows) is great and not dependent on who the CD is or isn’t.

How the game show or belly flop contest is conducted isn’t a big enough thing for me to decide not to sail on a ship. But, if it’s that important to a person, I think they should go or not go based on their own criteria.

I don't know anyone on the SY TA, nor do I participate in the M&M or CC activities. I'm not really on a cruise to meet people. What I do want to do is enjoy what the ship has to offer and enjoy the entertainment and activities, the latter of which will be particularly important given the number of sea days.

I appreciate that you have been on a lot of TA's before, but I haven't and my motives for booking a cruise are likely different to yours.

This TA is my fourth. Haven’t been on that many. You are missing out by not trying CC events. I’d put Indra’s Great Race Scavenger Hunt or the Slot Pull or BrianAlt’s Pub Crawl as far superior to anything a CD comes up with. It’s obvious that the CD “makes” your cruise, so enjoy. We have had CDs change two weeks before. Personally, I’d just hate giving that much power to any RC personnel only to find out two weeks ahead that RC’s plans have changed for them. This is my last post on this topic. I hope you find the CD that makes the cruise everything you dream of, and that if they swap them out, that you are able to find joy, peace and happiness on a cruise without that person if changes are made.

This TA is my fourth. Haven’t been on that many. You are missing out by not trying CC events. I’d put Indra’s Great Race Scavenger Hunt or the Slot Pull or Pub Crawl as far superior to anything a CD comes up with. It’s obvious that the CD “makes” your cruise, so enjoy. We have had CDs change two weeks before. Personally, I’d just hate giving that much power to any RC personnel only to find out two weeks ahead that RC’s plans have changed for them.

For my Anthem sailing, the CD switched from Abe Hughes to John Blair 2 weeks prior to sailing. Not a great trade off, and if I had known 3/4 months in advance that John was going to be CD, I would have probably decided on the Allure instead for that Summer, where we would have had Tim Connor, who is said to be a great CD.

Given that I know well in advance as to who the CD will be for the SY TA, it gives me the opportunity to look into other options. It doesn't necessarily make or break a cruise, but for a TA, it is important. Even if I did do the SY TA, I wouldn't be coming to the CC events anyway. I don't go on a cruise for that.

I just got off Anthem yesterday. If anyone has the privilege of sailing with Clo O'Conner she is the funniest CD I have sailed with in 28 Royal cruises. I didn't see her around the ship too much, but she added new life to the Name That Tune and Love and Marriage game shows. Her unscripted comments made all the shows. We couldn't stop laughing. She could easily do her own stand up comedy act. She was also the first CD in my 16 Anthem cruises, that scheduled a full headliner show on the last sea day afternoon when it's too cold to be outside.

I just got off Anthem yesterday. If anyone has the privilege of sailing with Clo O'Conner she is the funniest CD I have sailed with in 28 Royal cruises. I didn't see her around the ship too much, but she added new life to the Name That Tune and Love and Marriage game shows. Her unscripted comments made all the shows. We couldn't stop laughing. She could easily do her own stand up comedy act. She was also the first CD in my 16 Anthem cruises, that scheduled a full headliner show on the last sea day afternoon when it's too cold to be outside.

I was on that sailing too and I agree 100%. She is the first female CD I've had and I thought she was hilarious! So now my favourites are Clo and Tim Connor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on that sailing too and I agree 100%. She is the first female CD I've had and I thought she was hilarious! So now my favourites are Clo and Tim Connor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was the 2nd time I've seen her, and she is so much fun. I'm hoping she is still on for my May 3rd cruise.

I been cruising with royal since 1995 I had good CD and band ones there been time I wrote to royal about bad cruise director and the response I had got was we sorry for your bad experience,so I have learned that is not even worth complaining about it I just go cruise and make my cruise fun and enjoy the ship and shows,yes I agree Christopher is a amazing cruise director he should of got symphony but there nothing we can do.

Sent from my Z982 using Forums mobile app

I been cruising with royal since 1995 I had good CD and band ones there been time I wrote to royal about bad cruise director and the response I had got was we sorry for your bad experience,so I have learned that is not even worth complaining about it I just go cruise and make my cruise fun and enjoy the ship and shows,yes I agree Christopher is a amazing cruise director he should of got symphony but there nothing we can do.

Royal have heard from me tonight. I am very disappointed that such a potentially great CD did not get the job. I wasn't expecting him to get Symphony, but at least a permanent CD assignment, as he totally made the activities on Anthem while John Blair was CD and was terrible. Everyone in our roll call agreed.

I am also extremely disappointed in Royal for giving the Symphony to Bobby. The guy shows 0 enthusiasm. I can name so many great CD's who I would have nominated, but instead they go for Bobby. If they read feedback from Harmony last year, they will realize that Abe did a far better job on there than Bobby and he should have been rewarded with Symphony. Michele is said to be good (I'll find out in July) but he is too newly promoted to get their newest ship, IMO. Bing Bong won't start until Miami unfortunately.

Several of the AM's are poor as well. Our AM on HM last summer was really out of her depth.

Does Royal care about good CD's and AM's anymore?

I feel you Joe I wish they could listen to us

They won't though. They clearly never read the reviews from Harmony last year. I had planned to do the Symphony Transatlantic as a celebration cruise, but cancelled those plans now that Bobby is confirmed as CD. I am looking into other options as we speak. If they realize that subpar CD's are turning people away from their flagship, maybe they will finally learn.

They should of at least gave the take out symphony to Dru my opinion

Never had Dru, but he gets good reviews. I vote Abe for the SY takeout. A good one to rotate with him would be Ricky Matthews, whose high energy would be perfect for SY. Many others in there as well.

I'm hoping Michele is good, but he's not even been a CD for 2 years, and I think that one ought to have a certain number of years experience before getting the newest ship. Jerome was OK on Allure, but nothing notable. They should maybe just get an English speaking CD and have a Spanish speaking AM for the Europe season, so maybe Abe and they could temporarily demote Hugo to cover the Spanish speaking duties while in Barcelona. That would work.

ncb - Who would you suggest for the Barcelona season?

Never had Dru, but he gets good reviews. I vote Abe for the SY takeout. A good one to rotate with him would be Ricky Matthews, whose high energy would be perfect for SY. Many others in there as well.

I'm hoping Michele is good, but he's not even been a CD for 2 years, and I think that one ought to have a certain number of years experience before getting the newest ship. Jerome was OK on Allure, but nothing notable. They should maybe just get an English speaking CD and have a Spanish speaking AM for the Europe season, so maybe Abe and they could temporarily demote Hugo to cover the Spanish speaking duties while in Barcelona. That would work.

ncb - Who would you suggest for the Barcelona season?

Jerome will be good for the Barcelona season he good CD also he speaks Spanish and other languages

Jerome will be good for the Barcelona season he good CD also he speaks Spanish and other languages

Jerome didn't make much of an impact on me when I had him on Allure in 2015, although having said that, he seemed fun when I watched his Morning Show Bloopers on YouTube. I suppose with it being a Med cruise, the CD matters less. He speaks 5 languages and that would probably seal the deal.

Just an FYI...currently on Indy and our CD is Tom Connor from the UK. Thought Simona was due to be on...

Lucky you - Tim is fantastic! Thanks for the update. I imagine he is there for the next 2 months until Joff comes back.