New UPDATED Current list of Cruise Directors (CD)

I saw an interview with Abe and he said that his 4 favorite ships were Freedom, Mariner, Anthem and Harmony. From talking to him on FB, it seems like he is looking forward to a break from the big ships and also getting to see new ports, as opposed to the Caribbean again. Brilliance does a fantastic itinerary this summer!
Seeing a public interview vs spending 20 mins talking with him.

I'll take the 20 mins.....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Seeing a public interview vs spending 20 mins talking with him.

I'll take the 20 mins.....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I certainly trust what you are saying, but I have also spoken with him via FB and he seems to speak fondly of the Harmony. He did say that he was ready for a "change of pace" so my guess is that he is looking for something new. Brilliance in Europe sure is different to Freedom/Harmony in the Caribbean!

The interview was on YouTube.

Sailing Anthem May 26...is Dennis Charles a great upbeat CD?

I've not sailed with him, so can't really judge, but he slightly irritated me when I watched a 70's night on Jewel which he was hosting. He seems to love to showcase his singing skills.

I am also the same Joe from the RC Blog forum! It seems like a lot of us have accounts on each site.

Oh that I already knew lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No hiding from your cruising buddies!

I was thinking of maybe booking Symphony for May 2019. If I change it to July, would that be stalking?

No hiding from your cruising buddies!

I was thinking of maybe booking Symphony for May 2019. If I change it to July, would that be stalking?

Not at all! It's probably more expensive in July though. But that's the only time I can go. Still teaching in May.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off Explorer... Mike Landry (hotel director) is trying to hold onto Graham Seymour for the rest of 2018 at least. If he can, he will keep him until Explorer repositions from Australia in April 2019

Just off Explorer... Mike Landry (hotel director) is trying to hold onto Graham Seymour for the rest of 2018 at least. If he can, he will keep him until Explorer repositions from Australia in April 2019

Topi is coming on June 8 for 7 weeks, so maybe he is doing Graham's vacation fill in.

Oh dear, this is not what I wanted to read, but I kind of suspected that this would be the case. I am now kind of hoping that he will have finished his contract by the time I get on. However, as he did a 4 month contract on Ovation last summer, I assume that is what he is doing this year. I get on Ovation on 6th June.

Out of my 20 cruises across 3 cruise lines and 8 ships, he was my least favourite cruise director. It is not that he is unpleasant or if he is, I would not know it. It was kind of "blink and you missed him". I think I saw him a total of three times during our 13 night transatlantic cruise, two of which were when he came charging past on the promenade deck with speed. I would not even known it was him if somebody else had not called out his name the first time it happened. We were lucky then that we had Mark Rous as activities manager and he was fabulous. He also covered a lot of the activities that often the cruise director covers like the announcements before the show, progressive trivia, etc.

Still, our cruise is only a 5 nighter this time and I will be on my favourite ship. I will appreciate every second of this cruise.

Corinna

Completely agree! Hunnerup is the least good CD I have ever had. We had Chris Hopkins as our AM who was brilliant, but has apparently left RCI because he couldn’t get a permanent CD promotion. Complete travesty

If Mike Hunnerup was invisible on a 13 day Transatlantic, then that is a total joke. Given that that is how he handled that sailing and given that most reviews of him haven't been positive, why on earth did Royal think he would be worthy of getting Ovation - one of their newest ships?

If Mike Hunnerup was invisible on a 13 day Transatlantic, then that is a total joke. Given that that is how he handled that sailing and given that most reviews of him haven't been positive, why on earth did Royal think he would be worthy of getting Ovation - one of their newest ships?

I shared this news with friend who originally introduced me to Royal Caribbean and who is getting on Ovation the day I am getting off. They had Mike on a couple of previous cruises and had the same kind of experience. He made a very valid comment in that he said that in his experience people on the ex-Asia cruises are not all that bothered about the entertainment and this is probably why he got parked on Ovation for the Asia season.

Corinna

I shared this news with friend who originally introduced me to Royal Caribbean and who is getting on Ovation the day I am getting off. They had Mike on a couple of previous cruises and had the same kind of experience. He made a very valid comment in that he said that in his experience people on the ex-Asia cruises are not all that bothered about the entertainment and this is probably why he got parked on Ovation for the Asia season.

Corinna

Maybe that is why. Also different to Navigator given that the cruises are shorter with less at sea days. As long as he is kept away from the Caribbean market, the better.

Does anybody know what happened to Bill Brunkhorst? I have not seen him mentioned since late summer last year when he was rumoured to be heading for Quantum, but I am not sure if he ever materialised on that ship. A friend has been asking about him.

Corinna

Does anybody know what happened to Bill Brunkhorst? I have not seen him mentioned since late summer last year when he was rumoured to be heading for Quantum, but I am not sure if he ever materialised on that ship. A friend has been asking about him.

Corinna

He was on QN last Fall but don't know of his next assignment. He is one of the lowest profile CD's that the company has, I barely hear anything about him.

He was on QN last Fall but don't know of his next assignment. He is one of the lowest profile CD's that the company has, I barely hear anything about him.

We had him on our very first Royal Caribbean cruise on Splendour in December 2015 and to me, he was low key, but very nice. His AM was Aysy and she was bouncing off the walls with energy so having a cruise director who was a calm presence worked really well. He was very visible, but his style was just more understated. He is not somebody I would actively seek out, but I most certainly would not mind if he was our cruise director on a future cruise.

Corinna

I wish RCI could get Richard Spacey back. Along with Leigh and his AM Frankie. All 3 would be/are great CD's. Erky doesn't work in the cruising industry anymore but he was said to be awesome as well!

At least Richard left for another line of his own accord. Although Leigh and Frankie made some mistakes, I still think Royal was wrong to fire them, especially when there are quite a few other dud CD's who still work for them. I had Frankie as AM on Explorer and Oasis and I liked him, and Leigh was great as CD on Explorer. Shame.

I was on the Grandeur last week but the CD was not Paul Rutter. His name was Bob. I don’t recall his last name but it began with an L. He wrote a book about his life working on a cruise ship which was sold in the liquor store. Perhaps he works in the corporate office and was filling in for Paul Rutter as he isn’t on the list of cruise directors.

I was on the Grandeur last week but the CD was not Paul Rutter. His name was Bob. I don’t recall his last name but it began with an L. He wrote a book about his life working on a cruise ship which was sold in the liquor store. Perhaps he works in the corporate office and was filling in for Paul Rutter as he isn’t on the list of cruise directors.

Already on the most recent update to the list:

Grandeur OTS - Bob Leininger began November 30 until mid-May. Bob returns in the Summer until October 6, then Mitch Merucci from October 6 until December 1, followed by Bob starting December 1 for another 4 month contract. (Who is filling in for Bob for his upcoming vacation?)

Message to everyone that reads this thread - please find the most recent update to the list rather than looking at the first update of this thread, which is over a year old. If it is continued, I will ask Host Clarea to close this thread and will start a new one.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Joe

I've not sailed with him, so can't really judge, but he slightly irritated me when I watched a 70's night on Jewel which he was hosting. He seems to love to showcase his singing skills.

Ugh...I kinda got that same feeling after watching a few youtube videos of him as well. Welp, we will go and make our own fun as usual.

Paul Rutter is getting Quantum and I think he's pretty bad. I was worried he would be on Grandeur again at the end of the month because Bob was supposedly leaving at the end of March. I lucked out, but I will hold judgment until I cruise. I've seen some complaints on Bob as well. Paul Rutter is also one of those guys who's been there forever and in my opinion, needs to stop and do something else because he's lost the drive that makes a CD good.

I kind of wonder if CD is the end line. You make CD, which is an accomplishment, but to get above that, you need a certain...trait. If you have it, you make it to upper management, but if you don't, you are relegated as a CD forever. Those who want to be CDs, have to wait till those leave, or get promoted. I can see why Activity Managers who are the step below, seem to be uniformly good, while CDs are hit and miss.

Paul Rutter is getting Quantum and I think he's pretty bad. I was worried he would be on Grandeur again at the end of the month because Bob was supposedly leaving at the end of March. I lucked out, but I will hold judgment until I cruise. I've seen some complaints on Bob as well. Paul Rutter is also one of those guys who's been there forever and in my opinion, needs to stop and do something else because he's lost the drive that makes a CD good.

I kind of wonder if CD is the end line. You make CD, which is an accomplishment, but to get above that, you need a certain...trait. If you have it, you make it to upper management, but if you don't, you are relegated as a CD forever. Those who want to be CDs, have to wait till those leave, or get promoted. I can see why Activity Managers who are the step below, seem to be uniformly good, while CDs are hit and miss.

Grandeur has tended to have decent AM's (Darryl, Andre, Tanya etc.) but not all AM's across the fleet are great. I didn't rate the AM on Harmony last summer and some other AM's across the fleet get mixed reviews.