Cruise brochure from 1986 with pricing

Bimmer09

Hi everyone, I am near the end of my Celebrity Reflection review and decided to show, page by page the RCCL brochure from 1986 when I was employed as a musician on the ship Song of Norway. See the accommodations and food offerings and most importantly the pricing back then. I haven't got to the pricing pages yet but when I do $100 in 1986 is now worth $220.89 so you can do the math at home if I don't get to it.

Photos and personal recollections by me will be sprinkled here and there. I did a total of 44 cruises on the ship beginning August 1985 before Labadee was opened as a port stop. 32 of those weeks were from March 1986 to November when I left the ship.

I hope the curious among you will pop over and say "hi".

The Brochure part starts on Page 45, near the bottom of the page-look for the One Phone Call... heading .

Here's the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2447364

Norris

Thank you for the link! I've been meaning to pop over to read your review but have been busy getting ready for my Regal Princess cruise this coming Sunday.

You, your reviews and accompanying photos rank very high (maybe #1?) on my list of "favorite posters". I look forward to a lovely read and can't wait to get to the brochure! My first cruise was in the late 70's, my second in the 80's. I remember well how much more was included although back then there was no way we could have afforded a balcony which were far and few between.

Thank you for the link! I've been meaning to pop over to read your review but have been busy getting ready for my Regal Princess cruise this coming Sunday.

You, your reviews and accompanying photos rank very high (maybe #1?) on my list of "favorite posters". I look forward to a lovely read and can't wait to get to the brochure! My first cruise was in the late 70's, my second in the 80's. I remember well how much more was included although back then there was no way we could have afforded a balcony which were far and few between.

Sharon, thanks for the compliments and enthusiasm!

I am actually booked on the Regal October 14th to Canada etc and will be toting new camera gear as I did on the Reflection.

Bon Voyage!

Norris

Hi everyone, I am near the end of my Celebrity Reflection review and decided to show, page by page the RCCL brochure from 1986 when I was employed as a musician on the ship Song of Norway. See the accommodations and food offerings and most importantly the pricing back then. I haven't got to the pricing pages yet but when I do $100 in 1986 is now worth $220.89 so you can do the math at home if I don't get to it.

Photos and personal recollections by me will be sprinkled here and there. I did a total of 44 cruises on the ship beginning August 1985 before Labadee was opened as a port stop. 32 of those weeks were from March 1986 to November when I left the ship.

The Brochure part starts on Page 45, near the bottom of the page-look for the One Phone Call... heading .

Here's the link

Norris

Post 891 for those that have configured their page counts differently.

Hi everyone, I am near the end of my Celebrity Reflection review and decided to show, page by page the RCCL brochure from 1986 when I was employed as a musician on the ship Song of Norway.

Here's the link

Great memories, from that era even though I was never on any of the ships. I highly recommend taking a look. For anyone interested, the post Norris refers to is #891. The page number may differ depending on how you access the boards and your settings. For me it was on page 5.

beginning August 1985 before Labadee was opened as a port stop.

Norris

I was in Cap Haitien as a student in 1978-79 and my Haitian friends took me to LaBadee for a beach afternoon. Local fisherman caught fish and lobsters and made us a feast on the sand....the most gorgeous private cove ever. Barbancourt rum and Premier beer....crystal clear warm water. It is a shame that is is no more, but thanks for the memories ! :(

Here's a link for an October 1977 to June 1978 brochure for 2 and 3 night cruises on the Pacific Princess from LA to Ensenada which was just after The Love Boat series began using that ship.

Prices nearly 40 years ago are similar to today's prices & that's why things are not like the good old days of cruising. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=245585&d=1348005243

I was in Cap Haitien as a student in 1978-79 and my Haitian friends took me to LaBadee for a beach afternoon. Local fisherman caught fish and lobsters and made us a feast on the sand....the most gorgeous private cove ever. Barbancourt rum and Premier beer....crystal clear warm water. It is a shame that is is no more, but thanks for the memories ! :(

That sounds idyllic and I take my hat off to RCCL for finding Labadee. It was our most relaxing port on our recent Reflection cruise. It's just a beach day but in a wonderful cove as you say.

I imagine it had to be developed the way it is to entertain and accommodate the 6,000 or so Oasis class passengers.

Thanks for the memories!

Norris

Here's a link for an October 1977 to June 1978 brochure for 2 and 3 night cruises on the Pacific Princess from LA to Ensenada which was just after The Love Boat series began using that ship.

Prices nearly 40 years ago are similar to today's prices & that's why things are not like the good old days of cruising. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=245585&d=1348005243

WOW! Thanks for that......it makes me appreciate today :)

WOW! Thanks for that......it makes me appreciate today :)

Me too! ;) Checking how much $100 in 1977 would be today...$400! :eek: That would make the cheapest cruise fare of $237 the equivalent of $948 now for a 3-day cruise. At that price we could cruise on a luxury cruise line such as Crystal Cruises.

At today's much more affordable prices more of us commoners can afford to enjoy cruising and not be stuck in steerage. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

Sharon, thanks for the compliments and enthusiasm!

I am actually booked on the Regal October 14th to Canada etc and will be toting new camera gear as I did on the Reflection.

Bon Voyage!

Norris

Thanks Norris!

I actually just finished reading your entire thread and really enjoyed seeing the photos of you from back in the day. You haven't aged at all! ;)

Well, best be going, Steve is grumbling at me that I need to get ready - the Regal awaits!

PS - Why is it that we never see our own city as well as those visiting? I really must take the time for an Art Deco tour....

Thanks Norris!

I actually just finished reading your entire thread and really enjoyed seeing the photos of you from back in the day. You haven't aged at all! ;)

Well, best be going, Steve is grumbling at me that I need to get ready - the Regal awaits!

PS - Why is it that we never see our own city as well as those visiting? I really must take the time for an Art Deco tour....

Hi Sharon and I'm glad you are enjoying the step back in time to a simpler age.

Have the best time on the Regal! I get my chance to experience her in October.

Cheers!

Norris

Hi Norris - I have been a follower for several of your cruise reviews. Your report of Song of Norway brought back memories to 1987 when I took my first seven day cruise with friends celebrating a 40th birthday! My 12 year old son saw more of Jamica with the kids club than we did. It began our love of cruising and fortunately we have over twenty all over the world. We are elite on Princess and look forward to October for Rome to Fort Lauderdale on the Royal. Thanks for jogging my brain! Karen

Hi Norris - I have been a follower for several of your cruise reviews. Your report of Song of Norway brought back memories to 1987 when I took my first seven day cruise with friends celebrating a 40th birthday! My 12 year old son saw more of Jamica with the kids club than we did. It began our love of cruising and fortunately we have over twenty all over the world. We are elite on Princess and look forward to October for Rome to Fort Lauderdale on the Royal. Thanks for jogging my brain! Karen

Here's the link

Norris

Wow! It's a collectors item. :)

Just curious, how old are you?

Enjoy your cruise. And if God wills, grant you good health, and that you live and not die before your next cruise.

"I cruise to eat healthy, and to live longer."

Thanks Karen for stepping back in time with me and I'm glad it brought back memories of your own.

While I'm not going to claim "those were the days" as you get more options for your money today, fun was still fun no matter what year and I saw nothing but happy carefree faces.

Norris