Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pudy68

Questions about Los Veranos Canopy Tour

Hmmmm, that showed up as post #25, so if that's correct, then there really isn't a page 2 after all.

That is, until I hit the 'submit' button for this post!:D

30 days & counting......ooooo-la-la!

The lunch option has long since expired. It expired even well before they took it off the website.

The main difference between booking with Veranos and booking with a third party agent is going to be the ability to pay with a credit card. You can't pay with a card at Los Veranos, so there is no fraud protection or medical insurance like there is if you book with a third-party agency. The prices will be similar - both ways are much cheaper than going through the ship. Other than that, either way you pay about $72 and go on the Veranos tour...same difference.

Actually, if you're willing, you can pay with a credit card at Los Veranos, but they charge an extra 5%. I'll take my chances!:D

We have 3 going when we hit Puerto Vallarta in April. The price we were given is $71 cash (5% more with credit card!) We bought travel insurance that will cover us in the event that we are injured etc, so we will pay cash... We have 3 doing the zip line and 2 spectators - it will cost the spectators $20 each for transportation (well worth it imo to stay together - plus a cab would probably cost that much anyway!) We are really looking forward to this excursion! We are doing Randi's Happy Horses again too!

Sorry, I meant that with a third party agent, you can pay with a credit card and get the same price as paying cash with the tour operator. Most booking agencies don't charge a surcharge to pay with a card.

You can pay with a card with Veranos directly, but they hit you with the 5% surcharge.

The DH, another CC couple, and I paid $66 each for the 15-line excursion. It does have the highest and longest zip-lines. The last line takes you into the bar area. :) There is a restaurant right there and the four of us did eat there. The food was tasty. Should you want there is a rope swing and a “creek?” to swim in. It was definitely money well spent and a great time. I am very glad we went with them as when we returned to the ship we heard about the excursion with only 8 lines. The DH and I are of a “certain age” and the other couple would fall into the “young category of 40’s. As with everything, it is personal, preference but I felt very safe and after the initial “scary factor” had a wonderful time. In addition, you can buy a DVD to wow your pals on return. My co-workers are still amazed that an old woman could do this especially after they saw the heights of each line, which is filmed in the DVD.

my friend and I did this excursion in December. LOVED IT!!!!!!! I'm terrified of heights, but the staff was outstanding. They make you feel very comfortable and safe.

(btw, we booked with Los Veranos instead of the others available, based on what I'd read on these boards. Thanks all!)

I've just booked the Los Veranos tour with Sylvie who btw was just a pleasure to deal with. I didn't think about asking her, but I was curious how much the DVD was? My husband and the older children are going on the tour while I'm with the younger children doing something else and I would love to see a video of some sort. Thanks so much.

I booked this tour directly with the owner, Sylvia. My husband and I took the bus ride up there with our 3 sons who were going to do the tour. She charged us $15 each for the ride up there. Once we arrived I handed her over $200 in cash. (I believe it was $72pp for the zipliners) She could have provided me with change in American money but I wasn't sure so had exact change. My husband and I watched the entire security demonstration with the people ready to go. WE watched them suit up and give their demonstration about how to stop and start and change to different lines with the hook. Then we climbed into the tree house where the first line was and took pictures galore up there. There are tons of mosquitos there. Make sure to apply alot of bug spray before the climb. It is very steep, and kind of wet on the pieces that you walk up on. We did get out of breathe. It is a steep climb and the steps are made out of bark of a tree. You climb up about 50-75 of these steps and then you climb like a metal circular staircase that extends around tree trunk to the first platform. Then after they took off on the first line we climbed out of the tree house and went to a seating area they had. We were able to take pictures of them as they made the final desent. It took about and hour and a half for them to do all the lines. There is a small beach there but we werent interested in swimming there. Didnt look inviting. But people with small children along were letting them play in the sand and swim there. The only bad part is that they don't run the bus back to town so quick. They want to hold you there so you spend money at their bar and eat at their restaurant and shop at their shop. Once the tour was over we wanted to get back to town already but had to wait about an hour for the bus to finally leave for town again. They will try to sell pictures of the person zip lining for $10 each and a video of the entire tour ziplining for $30 VHS or $40 DVD. They are high pressure for these two items.

Forgot to say the ride out to their site is about 45 minutes each way and it is a very bumpy ride, windy, (bus has no windows or sides), also on a 2 lane highway, overlooking a cliff, very scary. But a very picturesque ride.

You can do the beach and water with your little kids. Bring some snacks and you should be fine. They have bottled water available to drink. With cups. Like a hinkle smidt type of machine with bottled water.

Forgot to say the ride out to their site is about 45 minutes each way and it is a very bumpy ride, windy, (bus has no windows or sides), also on a 2 lane highway, overlooking a cliff, very scary. But a very picturesque ride.

You can do the beach and water with your little kids. Bring some snacks and you should be fine. They have bottled water available to drink. With cups. Like a hinkle smidt type of machine with bottled water.

Welcome home BHL123! let's talk and compare trips.

I booked this yesterday and I received my confirmation e-mail last night. I am being quoted $71 per person if I remember to bring my confirmation page with me (to show that I reserved on line for the 10% discount)! They also attached 2 colorful pages of info.

Pudy - Do not forget that confirmation paperwork. It is very important to have that to get the cheaper price. They will take it from you when you arrive and staple it to your paperwork. The price you are charged is based on that paperwork. So bring it along. They do have free lockers that lock ifyou want to put your camera in there. It is practically impossible to take pictures while doing the zip lining as you need to hold on with both hands.

Any chance someone can send me a copy of thier DVD? I will be glad to pay for the postage and blank cost. I am probaly going to take this trip but can't see myself buying the dvd for $40, esp. when it's only me and not both of us doing it. If the whole DVD was mostly all my experience, then I might could see it, but isn't it your group with you interspersed?

The DH, another CC couple, and I paid $66 each for the 15-line excursion. It does have the highest and longest zip-lines. The last line takes you into the bar area. :) There is a restaurant right there and the four of us did eat there. The food was tasty. Should you want there is a rope swing and a “creek?” to swim in. It was definitely money well spent and a great time. I am very glad we went with them as when we returned to the ship we heard about the excursion with only 8 lines. The DH and I are of a “certain age” and the other couple would fall into the “young category of 40’s. As with everything, it is personal, preference but I felt very safe and after the initial “scary factor” had a wonderful time. In addition, you can buy a DVD to wow your pals on return. My co-workers are still amazed that an old woman could do this especially after they saw the heights of each line, which is filmed in the DVD.

Linda, I know there is walking on all of these but could you please tell me the difference between the two tours you've done. One in our group has a knee problem and can't walk very long distances on uneven ground. All I've read leads me to LV so far. I'm assuming that LV takes a lot longer since there are many more lines or are their's shorter ones?

Thanks for your help.

The DVD will be of you and many others. Not sure how much will even be of yourself. That is why we didn't buy it. Too expensive.

Regarding the person with knee problems. They probably could do it. The steep steps have a railing you can hold on to and you don't have to rush. Can be the person at the end and go slow if they need to.

ACCagent, It would depend on the knee injury. I have one so-so knee and I was fine (the DH and I are late 50's early 60's) we went last so we did not have to rush up the climb. If the person had surgery and had trouble with bending knees as some may have with knee replacement there "might" be a concern on the higher lines as you take them with knees bent. It is uneven on some "pavers" for lack of a better term. Imagine a very large paver going up in elevation for each step. You can take 2 steps on each if you have a small shoe size and a giant step on each if you have "big feet" such as myself at 9.5. They start off with short lines and then go longer and higher. It was an experience not to be missed! We did buy the DVD (have to let the kids and grandkids know we are having fun spending the inheritance..LOL). :D You will see yourself in many clips and the others in your group. I thought they did a great job and it was worth the $40. To us it was a memory our family will have forever but it is personal preference. We did not receive a push to buy the DVD or pictures. After the first line you are asked if you want the photo and the CD of the picture. It was very "no pressure" and very pleasant. We did not take the 8 line excursion but heard from others on the ship and my co-worker who will be returning to P.V. in Sept and taking this one after seeing us that the other was OK but not that high or long. My co-worker had fun on the shorter one so don't think you won't. If you want a once in a lifetime "I can't believe I was that high or zipped that long" then this is the one for you. If you want to try it and see if you like it the shorter one may be for you but I felt the more zips the more secure you feel. We try to enjoy the moment and live it up so we picked this one and I have to say IMHO this one met and beat my expectations.

eyern1, the web site will show you the "advertised version" and the other DVD you purchase is your personal trip.

Linda

You are welcome. The stairs are kind of wet, they are flat wood, narrow but you have to walk slowly to go up them anyway. You could take 2 at a time but I am in really good shape and I was out of breath when I reached the top. The mosquitos were also bitting like crazy as we waited on the stepping stones. Sylvies workers are nice young boys who speak perfect English. There is a safety drill for about a half hour that they do for everyone. They make the tour fun. Part of the time you will go with your legs fully extended. Part of the time you will go with your legs bent at the knee tucked into your stomach. Kind of like in a ball position. They will tell you when to change your positions. It is also kind of muddy around there. They were offering car washes to people while they were zip lining. They would wash your car for you. Don't wear beach thongs. You feet will get really dirty. I would recommend gym shoes or hiking boots for all.