Cruise Critic Community
NantahalaCruiser

Wild Price Swings in Senior/Residence/Military Fares on Equinox September Sailing

Anyone notice the recent wild price swings in Senior/Residence/Military fares on the Equinox September 25, 2017 sailing?

Up until today, we had a 2B cabin booked at a 2C (loyalty discount) senior fare of $1199. While surfing the CC threads last night, I happened to stumble across a post that mentioned a really low fare on our cruise - a senior fare for an A2 aqua class cabin of only $949! I immediately jumped onto the Celebrity website and put a hold on one of the two available A2 cabins at that fare. But when I went to put a hold on the other A2 for our traveling companions it was gone! Luckily another A2 appeared a few hours later and I locked that one in. I also noticed that there were several C3 concierge class cabins available for a slightly higher $999 senior fare.

This morning our TA was able to make use of my two A2 holds and switch our 2B cabins to two A1 cabins (loyalty upgrade) at the senior fare of $949.

As of now, there are no available A2 cabins and the senior fare for an A1 is $1549. However, there are still a few C3 concierge class cabins available for a senior fare of $999. So with a loyalty upgrade you can still book a C2 for a senior fare of $999.

By the way, after placing the two holds last night, I immediately posted a thank you to the fellow CC member whose post had alerted me to this great fare - and also sent an email to Cruise Critic thanking them for the services that their website provides us.

That's a great deal! BTW, do you have any perks with the Resident or Senior discount?

No perks with the Resident/Senior/Military fares - just discounted fares.

I was trying to keep my above story simple, so did not mention that with our original 2B cabins our friends that don't drink that much had the Senior fare while we had the Bigger 2 perk fare for $350 more - I had chosen to pay the additional $350 since $350 - $150 OBC gave an effective price for the Classic Beverage Package of $200 or $18.18 per person per day - a great deal.

However, with the excellent Senior fare we found for the AQ cabin, the Bigger 2 perk fare was $800 more which equated to $59.09 per person per day for the CBP. This was less that the regular CBP price of $64.90 per person per day (including gratuities) but more than we were willing to pay since our estimated value with our typical consumption is more like $40 to $45 per person per day.

How many Celebrity cruises must you be on to take advantage of the loyalty discount? Our upcoming Sept. cruise will be our third on Celebrity. When I saw that the C3 was priced lower than our 2A I thought about changing but our 2A is on the hump and I did not like the location of the C3. It was to far aft.

How many Celebrity cruises must you be on to take advantage of the loyalty discount? Our upcoming Sept. cruise will be our third on Celebrity. When I saw that the C3 was priced lower than our 2A I thought about changing but our 2A is on the hump and I did not like the location of the C3. It was to far aft.

Just one.

The upgrade must be to the same type cabin and there are some exceptions where even that is not allowed.

Just one.

The upgrade must be to the same type cabin and there are some exceptions where even that is not allowed.

Yes; for example, my TA indicated that the loyalty upgrade would cover from C3 up to C2 but not from C2 up to C1.

Apparently it does not apply to suites, so A2 to A1 is the highest allowed.

There is one additional fine point. You cannot upgrade from category X to category Y unless there is at least one available cabin in category X when you are requesting the upgrade - either at the time of you initial booking or if you are transferring your booked reservation to a new cabin class.

That's why, as described in my OP, even though there were several A1s available on my cruise, I had to find and put holds on two A2s (for both my wife & I and our friends) so that I could later ask our TA to transfer our two reserved 2B cabins to A1 cabins. If I had only put one A2 on hold, we could have tried to use it for transferring both reservations, but would have run the risk of that one A2 cabin immediately being picked up by someone else when it was released for the first transfer to A1; if picked up by someone else, then we would not have been able to make the second transfer to an A1 without an available A2.

Depending on the cruise itinerary/date/ship I've seen wild swings in pricing both for resident rates and perk rates. Probably has something to do with their pricing model. That's why I tend to check my cruise price a couple times a week, like you it has allowed me to save money and/or move to a higher category cabin.