Classic Package Change

TommyD3

We live in Michigan .

Wines (even in high-end restaurants) are marked up much less than they are on Celebrity.

Mixed drinks, even so called "craft" cocktails are also less.

So I guess it DOES depend on where you live.

Of curse it also depends upon where you live. Sales tax is different in every local, and these are heavily taxed products. Also, what the market will bear is another pricing consideration.

The point is that cruises generally embark from large coastal cities. The prices n board are comparable to what restaurants and resorts in those locals charge.

I can never understand why they give half sized drinks,

Since you have a package you can have as many as you want, or drink the smaller one and order another,and another.....

So why not serve a large one, if it using liqueur on the package

I would imagine because there is far less waste and most people will tend to stop drinking when they have had enough.

Of curse it also depends upon where you live. Sales tax is different in every local, and these are heavily taxed products. Also, what the market will bear is another pricing consideration.

The point is that cruises generally embark from large coastal cities. The prices n board are comparable to what restaurants and resorts in those locals charge.

Then why are drink prices on Princess so much less?

(Mostly under $10 for ANYTHING!)

A couple of years ago there was one wine that we had on both Princess and Celebrity.

Celebrity was charging about 1 1/2 times what Princess was.

My point was only that we're a captive audience.

It's not like on land where, if you feel the price in one bar is too high you can just go somewhere else.

I just can't see how Celebrity can possibly think that moving the Classic package to a "only pay the difference over the Classic max price" will increase their revenues, even with moving several of the current drink prices from below the Classic max price to over the max price by a buck or two. There has to be something else in the works, IMHO.

I think it's a shrewd move by them as the only real danger would be losing a few people who usually pay the upgrade from classic to premium. I think that number will pale in comparison to those who will now buy the occasional premium drink and pay the difference. Let's not forget, a $3 upcharge essentially pays for the entire drink itself.

I'm not a huge drinker, but I'll still be upgrading to the premium package as I probably average 3-4 drinks at the WCB or Martini Bar per day (plus the large Evian bottles and San Pellegrino are nice).

Then why are drink prices on Princess so much less?

(Mostly under $10 for ANYTHING!)

A couple of years ago there was one wine that we had on both Princess and Celebrity.

Celebrity was charging about 1 1/2 times what Princess was.

My point was only that we're a captive audience.

It's not like on land where, if you feel the price in one bar is too high you can just go somewhere else.

same wine at the four seasons is more than outback, both are nice, i eat at both but one sells higher.. i don't like it either, but it's what it is.

We were just on the Eclipse last month. We asked if there were any martinis that were covered under the classic package. There are 3, Apple, Cosmo, Regular. Although, they were served in a standard size martini glass they were only half full. Hearing this news however we are excited to only pay the difference instead of upgrading. We do not drink the majority of the premium liquors and can not justify the upgrade, were as this case they will be getting more money out of us.

That's very interesting that some ships (or bartenders) are still offering the half full drinks. When DH asked about them on our Eclipse cruise out of Southampton, they said no and we paid for my Appletini. That was 18 months ago. :rolleyes:

That's very interesting that some ships (or bartenders) are still offering the half full drinks. When DH asked about them on our Eclipse cruise out of Southampton, they said no and we paid for my Appletini. That was 18 months ago. :rolleyes:

Just last month, we were on the Equinox and no classic package martinis were even served in the martini bar. They only have the large glasses. Upon further investigation, you could get a small sized martini at the Passport Bar downstairs ... since I only drink one or two in a week, really didn't want to upgrade to the premium package and really didn't want to pay full price since we already had the classic package.

I like the idea of this new charging system but am also apprehensive that the post on the previous page that mentioned they may be up to some changes will most likely occur. We have 4 future cruises booked on Celebrity, one of which already includes the Go Best package ... so think we are safe. After that, we are hanging out on the West Coast for awhile and since Celebrity doesn't schedule a lot of those itineraries, even if it does change, I don't see that affecting us too much.

We were just on the Eclipse last month. We asked if there were any martinis that were covered under the classic package. There are 3, Apple, Cosmo, Regular. Although, they were served in a standard size martini glass they were only half full. Hearing this news however we are excited to only pay the difference instead of upgrading. We do not drink the majority of the premium liquors and can not justify the upgrade, were as this case they will be getting more money out of us.

Interesting as on Eclipse last May and Sep people were told they couldn't have 'Classic martinis' at the Martini Bar whereas they had allowed it on previous trips. I wish they would make their mind up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As far as I know, the martini has always been listed under the Premium package. Some reports surfaced that one could receive a smaller martini if they asked. And I believe that practice was halted by Celebrity.

What if one were to order an Absolute martini? Or Stoli?

Last time I was on Celebrity I drank plenty of Cosmos, (I had the Classic package). Has this changed?

I am confused. We just booked equinox. I was trying to get a grasp on whether to purchase the premium bev pkg.

I specifically asked our cruise rep from celebrity about drinks at slush and the martini bar--he said that we would be able to get drinks at all the bars but it would be made with the "house" brands instead of the premium selections. Since we aren't picky about brands or huge drinkers I just went with the classic and the rep advised this was a good choice for us since we weren't looking for specific brands, etc.

But....after reading this thread it seems this isn't correct. The menu lists frozen drinks at slush for $10. So if the cap is $9 on classic pkg does that mean we can't get frozen drinks or that they will just downgrade the alcohol? Or no "house" alcohol and pay the difference? So confusing........😏

we boarded Equinox yesterday and the changes are in effect. We have classic and much simpler now that everything under 9 is covered

Not sure if this is new also but hubby was able to upgrade to premium and i didnt have to. He likes his scotch so made sense for him.

Some of our favorites are not listed on the Premium package any longer; Tanqueray 10, Glenlivet, Macallan & Courvoisier VSOP.

Any one heard what the up charge will be for the liquors that have been taken off the Premium package??

I am confused. We just booked equinox. I was trying to get a grasp on whether to purchase the premium bev pkg.

I specifically asked our cruise rep from celebrity about drinks at slush and the martini bar--he said that we would be able to get drinks at all the bars but it would be made with the "house" brands instead of the premium selections. Since we aren't picky about brands or huge drinkers I just went with the classic and the rep advised this was a good choice for us since we weren't looking for specific brands, etc.

But....after reading this thread it seems this isn't correct. The menu lists frozen drinks at slush for $10. So if the cap is $9 on classic pkg does that mean we can't get frozen drinks or that they will just downgrade the alcohol? Or no "house" alcohol and pay the difference? So confusing........😏

With the old system, if the drink exceeded the limit of the classic package, you would have to purchase it at the entire cost. Last month at the martini bar, there were no small martinis being served at the martini bar but you could get a small one at the Passport Bar just downstairs with the house alcohol. If you wanted a large martini at the martini bar, since none are under $9, again, you would pay the entire cost of the drink. This was before (or current ... depending if all ships have crossed over with the new policy).

Now (or in the future), it looks like Celebrity is changing their policy on the classic drink package and you are able to get a martini in the martini bar and just pay the difference. So, if the martini is $14 and your limit is $9 on the classic package, you will be charged $5 + 18% gratuity .. so you can get your martini but it will cost you just under $6.

Aside from the Martini Bar, I hope the bartenders will tell you if what you ordered is over your limit before surprising you with a bill. Especially if it's something that was OK before and is over your package limit now.

I guess I'm not understanding how the changes work. On a recently posted bar menu Stella Artois is priced at $7.5. It is on the premium package. Has the price increased to over $9 or can you get it on your classic package since it is under $9? Are all the beer selections on the premium package all over $9?

I guess I'm not understanding how the changes work. On a recently posted bar menu Stella Artois is priced at $7.5. It is on the premium package. Has the price increased to over $9 or can you get it on your classic package since it is under $9? Are all the beer selections on the premium package all over $9?

This was already addressed--Post 26.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the information. I was reading a review by someone who just departed the Equinox on 4/2 and posted bar menus showing Stella at $7.5. That's a big increase! I guess the new changes will affected people differently. Now I understand, if it's on the premium list it is over $9 for a beer anyway.

Thanks for the information. I was reading a review by someone who just departed the Equinox on 4/2 and posted bar menus showing Stella at $7.5. That's a big increase! I guess the new changes will affected people differently. Now I understand, if it's on the premium list it is over $9 for a beer anyway.

Some things just don't make sense. Heineken and Heineken Light are on the Standard and Miller Lite is up to classic. It's great that Sam Adams is on Classic. Some of this seems a bit arbitrary.

We take Classic as our perk ..and always ask if what we order is included..

If there's a slight up charge plus tip for an occasional Amaretto and Baileys, etc .that will be in lieu of the extra cash tip we usually leave...

As long as we get the daily water, teas at Cafe Baccio & dh get his beer and basic scotch it'll be OK..Have to take a closer look at the lists...do not see Bud Lite on Classic ????

Edited by hcat

As long as we get the daily water, teas at Cafe Baccio & dh get his beer and basic scotch it'll be OK..Have to take a closer look at the lists...do not see Bud Lite on Classic ????

That's because it's on standard, which is included in classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please bear with my question. This will be our second Celebrity cruise and the first where we are purchasing a drink package.

I understand from the posts above that we won't be paying pay full price to "upgrade" to premium alcohol and drinks on Premium but, if a drink, like Remy Martin VSOP, which is listed on Premium and not on Classic, would we pay the full amount.

I also have a question.

Regular bottled water is included in classic.

Pellegrino is not.

So now if you have classic would you just pay the difference to get the Pellegrino?

(I think they've opened the proverbial can of worms with this change)