If I had only known... What do you wish someone had told you prior to your 1st NCL cr

morningstar4

This is the second time I see this now in an NCL forum. I have my first NCL cruise booked for November, on Epic in a Studio cabin. What's the deal with the electric?

The power in your cabin will only work when there is a card in the slot on wall by the door. We always bring an old cruise line card to keep in there, so that you don’t need to leave your current sail card in there. This seems to be how all newer cruise ships are conserving power. It is even showing up in some Carnival ships.

Before my first cruise I wish someone had told me that cruising was more additive than heroin. Maybe I would have bought a camper instead. :o

Hahaha! This one is so true! Went on my first cruise in February on the Escape. Booked a cruise for next February on the Bliss while on board. Realized a year between cruises is unacceptable. Booked a cruise on the Gem in June. While on board booked the Encore TA for November 2019. Realized I still can't wait all the way until February to cruise again, so now we are going on the Escape in October. Now trying to figure out if we can squeeze another cruise in between the Bliss in February and the Encore in November! I cannot get enough of cruising! There is simply not enough vacation time or money!

If there is a YouTube video, please share it here.

There are too many pier runner videos for me to find him.

Sorry no video I just have the mental image of me crying and begging security not to close the door so my husband wouldn’t be left there on our honeymoon! He was laughing hysterical when he got on because of the applause and some booing that he got running down the pier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Toward end of cruise on sea day afternoon, keep your eye out for the Crew Talent Show. Especially if mention is made of "The Fountain". That skit must not be missed!! I passed over on many cruises before I discovered this hidden gem[emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I thought it was gross, but that's just me... :)

• Like 1

The port consultants work for and are paid by the stores in the port and only recommend stores that have paid for the recommendation. they have the stores best interests in mind, not the passenger's.

The port talks are nothing more than long advertisements for the handful of stores that have paid for the right to be part of the advertisement.

• Like 3

That is not something that is done on NCL. Their MDRs are just like restaurants, and you are only seated with your own group. Personally, I'm much happier with NCL because of it. I don't care to eat at a table with a bunch of strangers. When I cruise other lines, I ask for a table for 2--or how many people are with us in our party.

One time (and only one time) we two (husband and I) agreed to be seated with others. It was a brash young couple and the guy kept jokingly kept calling me grandma. Through the entire meal. Never again.

• 11 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:10 PM, morningstar4 said:

9. Pay for a future cruise deposit while onboard and save money.... haven't figured out how to do this yet, but if someone else knows please fill us in...

You do it at the CruiseNext Desk.  Buy 2 CruiseNext certificates, each worth $250, for $500 and get $250 OBC.  Then you can apply 2 certificates to a new booking that is Balcony or above.  Usually they have an offer where if you book a cruise on the cruise you get a free stateroom upgrade.  I've done it twice and basically I've gotten the highest balcony class for the price of the lowest balcony class.  So mid-ship on a higher floor for the price of a rear or front ship on a lower floor.  Both the cost of the CruiseNext certs and the OBC end up on your account so you save $250 on the next cruise plus the cost of the free upgrade.  The cruise you book will have the same offers as what are currently offered online.

Sorry if someone has already answered this for you.

• Lunch in the MDR on embarkation day
  • Vibe pass if possible on a hot destination cruise with sea days ( Group 1 boarding) always have a good sun-bed available and a great level of bar service and hot tubs.
  • Ask steward to empty the fridge to store water etc remember if you have tons of water like we do from a drinks package and gold latitude membership you can take a bottle or two each on you excursions ,you can’t bring them back on but that’s not a problem as you will need to drink them on a hot day.
  • Research the ports well, decide what you want to do then find the best price/ time deal. You can  book excursions through a company with a guaranteed back to the ship policy which will not only be cheaper than NCL but a better experience I.e. in our experience a smaller group,  longer stays etc Have done this In Caribbean, Europe and even Russia its a breeze.
  • if you are not enjoying the music in a evening venue don’t be afraid to get up and wonder elsewhere there is usually plenty to choose from.
  • Wait to do laundry until the “ fill a bag” deal arrives on day 3/7
  • take the dailies with you so you know where and when things are on.
  • fish on carpets swimming to the front 
  • Book everything you want to do before you go - can always rearrange but I find it’s more relaxing to know where we are eating and when and what show  we are going too. Yes you can just do what you want when you want to but that means decisions that after a full day we just don’t need. Also as the week goes on the speciality restaurants fill up.
  • you don’t need as many clothes as you think you do 
  • If coffee is important to you pack take out coffee mugs .If you aren’t in a balcony so have no coffee machine just get it for free from the buffet. I know it can be ordered free from room service but it’s just as easy to go get it.
  • You will have your photo taken loads of time just go with it ,you are not obliged to buy them but a couple of times in your cruise go and look at them at the photo shop if there is a really stunning one then buy it.( don’t leave it until the last night) 
  • Pack basic first aid such as painkillers or antacid they are available at the shop but have inflated prices. 
  • Make sure you understand your mobile/ cell phone contract details and coverage.  Free Wi-fi is readily available on shore in most destinations if you aren’t covered free. 
  • Sign up to the Cruise critics meet and greet it’s a great way to meet people and the ship’s officers.
  • Have fun!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2018 at 2:11 PM, tel1024 said:

You don’t have to pay the corkage fee for bringing wine onboard if you open it yourself

Lol didn’t realize and didn’t wanna pay $15 to bring my own wine

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is this true? If I bring my own wine, with a corkscrew, can I drink it in my cabin without having to pay a corkage fee?

12 minutes ago, makingmemories21 said:

Is this true? If I bring my own wine, with a corkscrew, can I drink it in my cabin without having to pay a corkage fee? 

I've heard tell that sometimes they don't actually send you to a corkage desk if you bring the wine in your carry-on, and you'd be able to avoid the fee (but would have to consume the wine in your own cabin). It depends on the port and staff at the port. I'd plan on paying the fee, but it's possible you won't have to.

3 hours ago, dcipjr said:

I've heard tell that sometimes they don't actually send you to a corkage desk if you bring the wine in your carry-on, and you'd be able to avoid the fee (but would have to consume the wine in your own cabin). It depends on the port and staff at the port. I'd plan on paying the fee, but it's possible you won't have to.

This happened to us once in the manhattan terminal, it was fleet week and a hot mess of backups. I had only brought one bottle, wished I brought more!