Dreaded question every time I plan a cruise

bnorris10

I have several answers, depending on how well I know the person but the variations include:

*well my husband has stage 4 cancer and we are traveling as much as we can while he feels well, (this is true) or

*The joy I get from not being the boss and blending in with hundreds of other overweight old women is liberating beyond belief or

*I have no decisions to make except what fun to have

And as others have pointed out

*pound for pound, the cheapest vacation with the best amenities on earth. I unpack once, i see multiple countries and I eat gourmet food every day and lastly

*you are only 5 minutes from your cabin for spontaneous morning, noon, or afternoon delight (or "naps").

I just added it up: in 2016 we spent $21K for 37 (plus 12 days in ports before and after) days of cruising in 13 different countries! (includes on-board spending and transportation, excursions, etc). I know way too many people who blow that in a couple of weeks! The cruise fare alone averages only $100 pp per day. Such a deal!

I am still working but invading the IRA a little for this joy with my husband means I don't care what anybody says or thinks.

LIVE YOUR LIFE! live your life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have several answers, depending on how well I know the person,,,,,

I am still working but invading the IRA a little for this joy with my husband means I don't care what anybody says or thinks.

Good for you! Life is too short & too precious not to enjoy. I lost my husband to cancer 3 1/2 years ago. He was only 53. He was not diagnosed until 3 months after our last cruise. I cherish the memories of that cruise. The Breeze was still pretty new and we didn't plan any shore excursions. We did check out beaches or places of interest that were withing walking distance at the ports then went back to the ship. It was the most laid back vacation/cruise we had ever done and I am so grateful that we had that time. I learned that you never know what hand you will be dealt so you need to make the most of every minute/opportunity that you can. Hoping for more happy fulfilling days for you and your husband.

I just had this conversation on Easter with family/friends...and I explain it this way...my hubby has many expensive hobbies....a Harley, avid ocean fisherman, races his truck...so traveling is my "hobby" and I still spend less on my hobby as hubby does lol....

I've had the same problem--and I hate having to justify that I worked a long career as an RN, and saved to live the kind of life I wanted in retirement. Even so, we are far from wealthy, but very good with a budget. I try to tell people that if you make a "vacation fund" one of your regular "bills", and put a set amount in it EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU GET PAID, then you would have money to cruise, too.

Lol! I thought I was the only one who had to deal with that!

We are cruise addicts for life!! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I find that people do not realize how cheap cruising can be. Tell me about any land based vacation and per day, cruising can be done cheaper.

My problem is being able to schedule a cruise these days. The kids have differing spring breaks now and my wife does not want to cruise without them and even if I could convince her of that, does not want to take time off from work. Looks like my cruising may be over for a while and I am despondent.

While I don't get asked "the question", I can tell some want to ask it but restrain themselves. I agree people need to price a cruise to see how economical it can be to cruise for vacation.

An acquaintance at work who has never cruised (but knows I like to) suggested I check out an all-inclusive like they go to. I did. I told her I checked it out and priced it for 5 days, plus airfare. I can go on two week-long cruises in a balcony cabin for that amount. :cool:

Truly, we owe no explanation. It's where you choose to spend your money. People asking the question even with their eyes :o don't realize they too could probably cruise if they wanted to.

One other thing---I recently told my kids that sailing on a cruise is cheaper per day than being in an assisted living facility, and that's my plan! Lol!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

LOVE THIS!!

I took all my adult children (except one daughter who got pregnant with twins, after we booked) we have five, on a cruise in Jan of 2016, so they could experience what I love, cruising. We are paying for my son and daughter in law's cruise in May 2017, because I want my daughter in law to try it again. Our cruise in Jan 2016 was VERY rough. She got a big sea sick.

They live 3.5 hours from Mobile and are not drinkers. They could vacation with their boys for 2000.00 and that includes gas, parking, food (all you can eat and a little bit of spending money). If you plan that a year ahead and save $150-$200 a month then you are all paid up and don't come home to credit card bills. Many people vacation on credit and pay for it for months. Cruising lets you pre-pay. I love that for young families.

I am so tired of friends/family or even just random people whom always feel the need to say or ask "How can you cruise so much?"

It's gotten to the point I don't even like telling people I am going on a cruise because they are like of course you are, you cruise all the time, how can you afford that, take me with you blah blah

For me, it's a mix of that question or "aren't you sick of cruising?" Never going to happen lol.

Most recently I told my family that our upcoming trip is cheaper than a week at Disney. Everyone has their own right to spend their money how they want to. Some people buy fancy cars or eat at fancy restaurants on a regular basis. We choose to save for vacation instead.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have to admit, cruising is most affordable if you have kids. It takes all the struggle out of finding restaurants on land vacations when dinner winds up being pizza anyway 🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I have to admit, cruising is most affordable if you have kids. It takes all the struggle out of finding restaurants on land vacations when dinner winds up being pizza anyway 🤣🤣

I hate finding restaurants with just DH and I. With others, especially kids...ugg! That is the best about cruising, especially when you have big eats.

Yes. I'm glad you said this because I have never thought about that. Having the simple option of buffet or MDR is perfect too. Most nights the kids don't necessarily care for some of the MDR offerings so they grab some buffet or pizza anyways!

The question I get all the time is "didn't you just go on a cruise"? I say yes and I have several more booked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

GOALS!!😁😁😁 So far we are blessed to cruise once per year. I tip my hat to all of you who can pull 2 or more off per year.

I get all kinds of snide and rude remarks from even close family. At one time I used to actually go through the process of how I get it done without it being a burden. But people still feel the need to question you. Then there are of course - the jabs about Carnival itself. All of these comments are almost always from people who haven't cruise or haven't cruised Carnival.

People are learning not to go there with me anymore. I don't have to explain or justify how I spend my money to anybody. I'm happy to help you plan if you need assistance, but please don't ask me questions just to antagonize. It won't end well.

People sure can be snide and ugly. I have encountered this quite a bit as well. I've encountered people who comment how much they "hate cruising" or "have no desire to cruise" when they've never set foot on a cruise ship. I have recently stopped telling people where I'm going or even what I'm planning because of their mean spirited snarky remarks. I enjoy reading cruise critic to see where fellow cruisers are going and share my excitement here. DH and I met on a Carnival cruise in 2001! Now our children have developed a love of cruising and oddly enough Carnival is their favorite [emoji38]

I encounter people questioning the expense of our frequent travels but people budget how it works best for them. We prioritize family travel and the memories and bonds made from it. Don't give those ugly people the satisfaction of knowing where you're going or the satisfaction of trying to dampen your excitement about your fabulous travels. We will just share our excitement here with fellow cruisers! [emoji6]

it's typically jealousy on the part of others so it really doesn't bother me.

The only part that does is when people scoff at the fact I take the kids out of school to cruise. My kids are in elementary school so 4-5 days out of school isn't the worst thing. Plus I guarantee they are gaining more from traveling, seeing and learning about other cultures, etc than they would in school for those few days.

We take our kids out of school about 3-5 days to cruise every January. I feel a bit guilty but not enough to stop. It's cheaper to cruise in January and they're in elementary school. Like you said, they're learning and building priceless memories and family bonds.

I have several answers, depending on how well I know the person but the variations include:

*well my husband has stage 4 cancer and we are traveling as much as we can while he feels well, (this is true) or

*The joy I get from not being the boss and blending in with hundreds of other overweight old women is liberating beyond belief or

*I have no decisions to make except what fun to have

And as others have pointed out

*pound for pound, the cheapest vacation with the best amenities on earth. I unpack once, i see multiple countries and I eat gourmet food every day and lastly

*you are only 5 minutes from your cabin for spontaneous morning, noon, or afternoon delight (or "naps").

I just added it up: in 2016 we spent $21K for 37 (plus 12 days in ports before and after) days of cruising in 13 different countries! (includes on-board spending and transportation, excursions, etc). I know way too many people who blow that in a couple of weeks! The cruise fare alone averages only $100 pp per day. Such a deal!

Be blessed Sister! I pray he beats this! Cancer sucks! In the meantime, good for you both! So happy you're living life to the fullest!

People sure can be snide and ugly. I have encountered this quite a bit as well. I've encountered people who comment how much they "hate cruising" or "have no desire to cruise" when they've never set foot on a cruise ship. I have recently stopped telling people where I'm going or even what I'm planning because of their mean spirited snarky remarks. I enjoy reading cruise critic to see where fellow cruisers are going and share my excitement here. DH and I met on a Carnival cruise in 2001! Now our children have developed a love of cruising and oddly enough Carnival is their favorite [emoji38]

I encounter people questioning the expense of our frequent travels but people budget how it works best for them. We prioritize family travel and the memories and bonds made from it. Don't give those ugly people the satisfaction of knowing where you're going or the satisfaction of trying to dampen your excitement about your fabulous travels. We will just share our excitement here with fellow cruisers! [emoji6]

I just had something happen today---I mentioned to one of my adult daughters that I was looking at the Carnival Breeze for January 2019 (already have a cruise booked for January 2018), and she was dumbfounded that I'm looking for a cruise this far out!! Why would I before even taking the one in 2018? Some people just don't get it! Lol!

I just had something happen today---I mentioned to one of my adult daughters that I was looking at the Carnival Breeze for January 2019 (already have a cruise booked for January 2018), and she was dumbfounded that I'm looking for a cruise this far out!! Why would I before even taking the one in 2018? Some people just don't get it! Lol!

Doesn't the breeze sail out of Galveston? Someone just suggested I look at that ship as my kids love carnival.

Regarding her dumbfounded comment, we have cruises booked already for November 2017, January 2018 and June 2019. We also have land travel booked for September 2018 and are preparing to book our 2020 cruise when those schedules open. I have our family "travel calendar" written out for the next 10-12 years so we can plan financially for the places we want to visit. People often look at me in wide eyed amazement when I tell them but I book early and it gives me time to research and plan some amazing travel memories for our family. My hubby and kids love it. Plus it's a teachable moment for the kids. I tell them "study hard so you can get a good education and a good job to support your lifestyle." Lol.

But I agree with everyone here. You budget for what's important to you. Travel is important to our family.

Doesn't the breeze sail out of Galveston? Someone just suggested I look at that ship as my kids love carnival.

Regarding her dumbfounded comment, we have cruises booked already for November 2017, January 2018 and June 2019. We also have land travel booked for September 2018 and are preparing to book our 2020 cruise when those schedules open. I have our family "travel calendar" written out for the next 10-12 years so we can plan financially for the places we want to visit. People often look at me in wide eyed amazement when I tell them but I book early and it gives me time to research and plan some amazing travel memories for our family. My hubby and kids love it. Plus it's a teachable moment for the kids. I tell them "study hard so you can get a good education and a good job to support your lifestyle." Lol.

But I agree with everyone here. You budget for what's important to you. Travel is important to our family.

The Breeze is in Galveston right now, but I believe it repositions to Port Canaveral in late 2018.

You sound just like me! Travel is important to me, and that is why I make saving for my vacations a priority---just like any other bill I have. My hubby and I raised 5 children--not always easy (lol)--and had long successful careers, and travel is now more important to us than obtaining "stuff". So, at times, our family thinks we may be a little nuts, but oh, well, you only have one life to live! I might add that our annual cruise (I would love to cruise more, if the cost of air fare wasn't there!) is not our only travel. We try to squeeze in as much travel as we can afford to! We have a train adventure coming up in June.

Do any of you have friends or co-workers that also travel quite a bit even if not cruising? From reading replies on this subject it seems practically none of you have many friends or family who enjoy travel....be it cruising, or skiing, or tours of new places. Maybe it's time to make some more friends who share your interests and passions.

The Breeze is in Galveston right now, but I believe it repositions to Port Canaveral in late 2018.

You sound just like me! Travel is important to me, and that is why I make saving for my vacations a priority---just like any other bill I have. My hubby and I raised 5 children--not always easy (lol)--and had long successful careers, and travel is now more important to us than obtaining "stuff". So, at times, our family thinks we may be a little nuts, but oh, well, you only have one life to live! I might add that our annual cruise (I would love to cruise more, if the cost of air fare wasn't there!) is not our only travel. We try to squeeze in as much travel as we can afford to! We have a train adventure coming up in June.

Which train are you taking? Where will you go? That sounds wonderful! I've wanted to plan a train trip for quite a few years now but never got around to it. So many great places to go. So little time.

Do any of you have friends or co-workers that also travel quite a bit even if not cruising? From reading replies on this subject it seems practically none of you have many friends or family who enjoy travel....be it cruising, or skiing, or tours of new places. Maybe it's time to make some more friends who share your interests and passions.

Historically I haven't worked with other travelers. However, for the past three years I've worked with a traveler but she's anti cruise. No she's never been on a cruise before but vehemently states she wouldn't like it. I have some friends who travel but they do basic travels and don't ever plan or research in advance. None of our friends have the same extreme love of travel that we do. You're absolutely correct though. New friends who share our love of travel would be awesome. Until we find them I read cruise critic and enjoy everyone's elation about upcoming travel! [emoji847]

As someone who has traveled a lot since becoming an adult, I think we have to prioritize what's important in life. I used to fly 1-2 times a year due to a busy work schedule, but changed my life focus in 2000.

Paid the house off, no new cars every 3 years, and focus on finding affordable and interesting trips. I'd rather travel for a month to interesting places, than stay a week at a swanky beach resort.

Maximizing value by having hotel status, booking shoulder season, and looking for airfare deals are key.

When you tell about the deals to friends and family, their eyes either glaze over, or they want me to find the same deals for them.