Jump to content
cruise2relax

Sabatini's New Menu

Recommended Posts

Took some time on google but finally found out what a Breaded Veal Vallet from a comment on CC was for those who are interested:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting, we just got off the Pacific Princess and prefer Sabatini's to the Crown Grill. But looking at the web site now, I find one menu for Sabatini's to be the same as we experienced, however for the Caribbean Princess, Grand Princess, Regal Princess, Coral Princess and Star Princess there is a completely different Sabatini's menu. One that I don't believe I would particularly care for. Crown Grill steaks are great, but hey, I can do them as good or better at home and they broil the lobsters there, Uggg.

 

 

Grown Grill----Pacific Princess

 

STEAKS
Featuring the Finest Center Cuts from Sterling Silver Corn Fed Beef
NEW YORK STRIP
* 12 OZ.
Traditional Thick Cut Sirloin
KANSAS CITY STRIP
* 16 OZ.
Traditional Bone-in Sirloin
RIB-EYE
* 14 OZ.
Rich with Heavy Marbling
FILET MIGNON
* 8 OZ.
Classic, Tender and Delicate
CROWN GRILL’S “SURF & TURF”
*
(Please enjoy for an additional $10 per serving)
Filet Mignon 8 oz., Maine Lobster Tail 6-7 oz.served with drawn butter and your choice of sauce and sides

 

 

Sabatini's----Pacific Princess 

 

SECONDI PIATTI
Main Courses
Branzino al Forno con Zucchini
baked striped bass in zucchini crust over tomato-orange melt, toasted polenta

 

Gamberi alla Caprese con Verdurine di Stagione
garlic infused shrimp with cherry tomatoes and potpourri of vegetables
Tris d’Aragosta

 

lobster three ways - lobster tail, lobster orzotto and lobster bisque sauce
 

Petto di Pollo con Asiago e Pomodorini, Salsa al Marsala
chicken supreme stuffed with eggplant, asiago and sun-dried tomatoes, marsala sauce

 

Bistecca Toscana
*
10 ounce strip steak with rosemary, garlic and a touch of our own extra-virgin olive oil
Lombata di Vitello al Forno
*
roasted veal rack with mushroom ragout, barolo glaze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife LOVES Italian food.  We took a look at Sabatini's  menu took a pass.  It really makes on wonder what kind of market research they do when devising new menus?  Plus, it's rare that a land based restaurant completely changes their menu.  Typically, they incrementally phase out one item and  introduce a new one.  I wonder why Princess decided against this type of approach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That menu is a disgrace compared to the old menu. We would book Sabatini over the Crown Grill. We loved the veal chop. There is nothing on that menu that would compel me to lay out an additional $25 pp. It's no wonder why it's empty.  They must have stole the lobster 3 ways idea from Red Lobster. They may as well change the name to Olive Garden.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer the previous menu with options that are more familiar than the new ones.

 

Although like Share & La Mer, Princess is moving towards more trendy food options for specialty dining.  I’ll try the Sabatini’s Trattoria menu in their more modern dining room to decide whether to go again or not.  

 

I wonder how long it’ll be until the Crown Grill menu changes?  Hopefully it’d still be like a steakhouse although wouldn’t mind seeing a few changes to try something different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's such a subjective thing! My husband and I love dining at high-end, trendy restaurants. I'm a very adventurous eater, and he can be picky but also open to adventure (if that makes any sense). So for me, the menu at the Sabitini's Trattoria looks fairly in line with a higher-end Italian restaurant in the Bay Area (where we live). It looks absolutely nothing like an Olive Garden or other more standard Italian eatery -- which honestly is American-Italian, and not even close to authentic Italian food. 

I haven't tried the new Sabitini's Trattoria yet, but will on our next cruise. I've already found at least one thing in each section I'm looking forward to. Some of the sections I'm having a tough time choosing.

I think that some people may be more comfortable with "familiar" foods. Others find those familiar foods to be uninspiring and boring, since you can basically get them decently to well prepared just about anywhere. And there are plenty of other options on board that fit that bill. I love being able to choose from homier foods at the buffet to upscale and "fussy" foods at one of the specialty restaurants as suits my mood.

Though if Princess were to stick with a more homey, familiar menu it would likely entice me to consider cruising on another line. Food is incredibly important to me when I travel, and I take pains to find the best regional cuisine (at all price and prestige levels). If there's one thing I avoid like the plague it's eating at a chain restaurant (local chains not available back home excepted). No way am I spending good money to travel somewhere to eat or do something I can do at home any time I want. 🙂 And it's the same on the ships. I want the opportunity to try new and interesting variations of dishes that I can't easily sample at home. I think Princess is striking a good balance of having both ends of the spectrum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question on the specialty restaurants like Sabitini's, if you ordered more food than you can eat and you still have a lot left, can you even take it with you and will they provide the container for it?  I am asking because I might order more than one entree just to try it out.  Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Almighty188 said:

I have a question on the specialty restaurants like Sabitini's, if you ordered more food than you can eat and you still have a lot left, can you even take it with you and will they provide the container for it?  I am asking because I might order more than one entree just to try it out.  Thanks!

 

Since you're paying extra for it, of course. 

I'm not sure how appetizing a cold piece of veal would taste?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dani24 said:

It's such a subjective thing! My husband and I love dining at high-end, trendy restaurants. I'm a very adventurous eater, and he can be picky but also open to adventure (if that makes any sense). So for me, the menu at the Sabitini's Trattoria looks fairly in line with a higher-end Italian restaurant in the Bay Area (where we live). It looks absolutely nothing like an Olive Garden or other more standard Italian eatery -- which honestly is American-Italian, and not even close to authentic Italian food. 

I haven't tried the new Sabitini's Trattoria yet, but will on our next cruise. I've already found at least one thing in each section I'm looking forward to. Some of the sections I'm having a tough time choosing.

I think that some people may be more comfortable with "familiar" foods. Others find those familiar foods to be uninspiring and boring, since you can basically get them decently to well prepared just about anywhere. And there are plenty of other options on board that fit that bill. I love being able to choose from homier foods at the buffet to upscale and "fussy" foods at one of the specialty restaurants as suits my mood.

Though if Princess were to stick with a more homey, familiar menu it would likely entice me to consider cruising on another line. Food is incredibly important to me when I travel, and I take pains to find the best regional cuisine (at all price and prestige levels). If there's one thing I avoid like the plague it's eating at a chain restaurant (local chains not available back home excepted). No way am I spending good money to travel somewhere to eat or do something I can do at home any time I want. 🙂 And it's the same on the ships. I want the opportunity to try new and interesting variations of dishes that I can't easily sample at home. I think Princess is striking a good balance of having both ends of the spectrum. 

 

Dani, you are our kind of diner.  About a year and a half ago, we were on the Grand Princess and visited the then new Sabatini's Trattoria twice.  I do want to give you a bit of a head's up on one of the menu items--specifically, the appetizer.  First of all, it is sensational.  Here is the description from the menu:  warm rustic whole-wheat loaf, tuscan zonzelle with roasted tomato & bell pepper passata, prosciutto crudo, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar.

 

To be honest, I really did not read the menu description that closely on our first visit.  There was no other choice.  In fact, the server just automatically places it on the table while the diners are reviewing the menu.  So, bring it on.  Well, there are these little dough balls that are boiled in oil.  I later learned these are the zonzelle.  They are amazing.  We ate all of them.  I say "we," but I'm sure my wife stopped after the first one.  She is much better than I am about pacing.  So, I had four or five of them--not really sure how many were in the basket.  I could have easily pounded down another basket of them.  About the the time our "Secondi Piatti" arrived those zonzelles had "exploded" in my stomach.  I did make a dent in the Porchetta and, subsequently, whatever dessert I had.  However, laying in bed, that night, I was one sore puppy.

 

I thought hard about what had happened, and I, pretty much, concluded that it was those seductive dough balls.  On our second visit on that cruise I limited myself to only one of them.  I did much better, that time.

 

All our subsequent Princess cruises have been on the Emerald Princess or the Ruby Princess.  Both those have SHARE (which, of course, we enjoy very much) instead of Sabatini's.  I am, however, looking forward to our September cruise on the Royal Princess so that we can go back to Sabatini's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

Since you're paying extra for it, of course. 

I'm not sure how appetizing a cold piece of veal would taste?

Good point about it being cold.  Just bad one has to pay for it and it going to waste.  One of the persons in our group is also on a atkins diet so they can only eat small portions at a time which means they can't finish whatever is on the dish anyways.

Edited by Almighty188

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with Daniel Skjeldam, CEO Hurtigruten
      • Win a 7-Night Romantic Danube Luxury River Cruise with AmaWaterways
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×