Can you feel the ship sway from deck 7 midship?

shopreh

I am taking my 1st cruise April 22 on the Valor. We are staying in a GS on deck 7. I have grown up getting motion sickness all my life. I've read the best place to book a cabin is midship. And you can feel the swaying on the upper decks. What about deck 7 is that to high up? Will the Gulf and Carribean be smooth in April? We're leaving out of Galveston. Thx for any input!

Sorry but the honest answer is "it all depends on the sea conditions"

I've crossed the Gulf from Galveston when it was so flat you could see fish in the water and I've crossed it when half the passengers were sick in their cabins. April certainly isn't the worst month but ... you just never know. My advice, bring some sort of medication or wrist band that will help with motion sickness or better yet have so much fun you forget you are on a ship.

Best of luck!!

Your location on the ship should help minimize the motion you feel but it will depend on how rough the water is. We generally book an OS and they are on either side of the GS normally. Motion hasn't been an issue for us in that location, unless we hit a storm.

I am taking my 1st cruise April 22 on the Valor. We are staying in a GS on deck 7. I have grown up getting motion sickness all my life. I've read the best place to book a cabin is midship. And you can feel the swaying on the upper decks. What about deck 7 is that to high up? Will the Gulf and Carribean be smooth in April? We're leaving out of Galveston. Thx for any input!

If the seas are rough you will feel them everywhere.

We stay on the 7th floor midship. You could feel the movement pretty bad coming back to Galveston. The seas were pretty calm but if you got up at night to use the bathroom you would have to be careful not to fall because the ship was moving quite a bit.

seriously it does depend on the weather..I'm prone to it myself really bad! But after 11 cruises I can say I only had ONE really bad one and that was in the Atlantic...geesh it was Easter weekend a few years ago and honestly it was like a teeter totter..up and down...4 motion sickness tabs to curb the feeling! The Gulf tends to not be as bad as cruises that venture into the Atlantic. I grab a bottle of motion sickness meds and get on the ship:cool: Honestly also you are so busy on board most of the time you forget about the movement. Good luck and I hope your cruise goes well!

If you're prone to seasickness I would start eating ginger tablets or ginger snap cookies two days prior to getting underway. They're natural so don't worry about overdosing (you might gain weight if you go the cookie route). If you have tried that in the past and it didn't work then take dramamine. That should take care of it but there are side-effects (dry mouth, sleepy). But the secret is to start taking it two days out.

If nothing works and you're not enjoying yourself go to the medical department and ask for the magic shot. Not sure what's in it but it knocked out my wife's seasickness.

Yes, any of the Carnival ships you can feel movement although the best place to experience less movement is midship. It all depends upon the weather and if the ship has some propulsion problems...we were on the Valor southern Caribbean two years ago in May, the ship was constantly rocky but we had propulsion problems.

While 'it depends on sea conditions' is the correct answer, you must remember that these are huge ships with stabilizers. Sure one can feel it a little. But rarely is the ship rocking and rolling.

Now go on a 100 pax sailing vessel sometime.........

To prevent motion sickness issues you need to start taking anti motion sickness meds(or other methods) BEFORE you feel ill! Once you feel sick it is much harder to make that feeling go away!

IF you have dealt with it all your life then you should already know what works best for you. DH takes 2 tabs of meclizine(the generic that is in Bonine and the NON drowsy Dramamine 2) the first night before the ship leaves the dock. Then he takes 1 AM and 1 PM. I only take one pill a day. Everyone has a different tolerance but even on big ships if you are susceptible you will feel the rocking.

I am taking my 1st cruise April 22 on the Valor. We are staying in a GS on deck 7. I have grown up getting motion sickness all my life. I've read the best place to book a cabin is midship. And you can feel the swaying on the upper decks.

Imagine yourself on an old fashioned metronome. The higher you are on the "stick" the more movement (distance) you will experience. The lower you are on the "stick", the less distance you will travel. Ships move....and the captain will have no control over sea conditions. You will feel movement where ever you are on the ship. Fact of nature.

We are staying in a GS on deck 7. I have grown up getting motion sickness all my life. I've read the best place to book a cabin is midship. And you can feel the swaying on the upper decks. What about deck 7 is that to high up?

It's always going to depend on ocean or weather and wind conditions how much motion a ship will experience. Being midship will help with any up/down pitch motion but not side to side roll due to wind.

You should be OK with motion while you are asleep in a midship deck 7 cabin but remember at all costs avoid the Show Lounge (all the way forward) the Comedy Club (all the way aft) the Adult Serenity Area (all the way forward) and the Lido Buffet (aft deck 9). You should also request Anytime Dining as that will be in the Midship Lincoln Dining Room vs fixed dining which is served in the aft Washington Dining Room.

Good luck.

I'm very prone to motion sickness, car sickness, etc. I've cruised twice, once on deck 7 and the second time on deck 8. I've never felt sick on either cruise, and the first one had 15' seas for the first two days. You could feel the ship swaying . I take Meclazine (Bonine) once a day, every day, starting the day before the cruise begins to make sure it's in my system by the time I'm on board. You can get Bonine at most drugstores, and once my MD wrote me a prescription for Meclazine and I got 25 pills for my $10 copay. It worked out to be cheaper that way. The prescription strength is the same amount in the over the counter Bonine, you just get more pills. I have also had good luck with Rugby brand travel sickness pills, which I've purchased online.

This is something no one can answer for you because how much and what kind of motion makes you sick and what medicine or what other natural remedy works varies much between each person. Sometimes it takes a few trips to find what works or that nothing works at some point. Being you have experienced it before you don't mention if you ever took something and it helped or never have tried. But just my advice is if you have something you have taken before and it helps go ahead and start that ahead of time as the medicine advises. Also the ginger does work for many people so using it might work and surely won't hurt.

Short anwser. If the ship is moving you can feel it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

We have been on cruises where we felt quite a lot of motion, and others where we felt very little to none.

It just depends on the calmness of the sea.

We were on the Dream in January and had a balcony stateroom on deck 7, on the more forward part of mid-ship. We didn't feel a lot of motion, but one night we felt quite a bit. We like the motion though, it "rocked us to sleep" like babies. :)

We were in aft balcony cabin deck 8, on Sunshine about a year ago, for a southern Caribbean cruise. Winds got up to 50 knots. Never noticed any rock, roll, or sway. Surprised myself, as I had to stop racing sailboats about 20 years ago due to seasickness.

Thank You all for your input. I have taken Dramamine before and it helped but that was for car sick and when I went on day gambling cruise. I have never slept on a ship before. I am going to take bonnine, Dramamine, wrist bands, and ginger gum and maybe other items too! I don't drink so that wont help. LOL