Steel rails on Veranda cabins

ezgo

As far as laying on the bed and watching the seas go by, meh. Get up and go outside on the balcony. A lot of negative comments for something that's not a big deal.

I think that's a matter of preference. For you, it's no big deal to just get up and go outside and see standing up over it. I personally enjoy seeing out as I lie down and I have a heart problem so I can't stand for long periods of time so I would like to be able to see the water from a sitting position. So for me, for what I am paying to go on a cruise it is, in fact, a big deal. If it's not for you or others that is great. But to those of us with negative comments it's likely a bigger deal for. It's all subjective.

We have booked those cabins many times. They offer a larger balcony area and on hot sunny periods offer up some shade. Since they are on the lower decks if seas are rough you get less motion than the upper ones. As far as laying on the bed and watching the seas go by, meh. Get up and go outside on the balcony. A lot of negative comments for something that's not a big deal.

Now an obstructed cabin, that's not a good thing.

Dan

I totally agree with you. For us an extra $3200.00 for the cabin next door with the plexiglass railing just did not make sense. Lots of things you can do with that amount of money!

I totally agree with you. For us an extra $3200.00 for the cabin next door with the plexiglass railing just did not make sense. Lots of things you can do with that amount of money!

A $3200 difference? I am guessing that's for a longer cruise? For a shorter cruise, like 7 days, it was only about $300 difference, so I suppose the length of the cruise could make a difference too.

A $3200 difference? I am guessing that's for a longer cruise? For a shorter cruise, like 7 days, it was only about $300 difference, so I suppose the length of the cruise could make a difference too.
14 night Europe/Med cruise on Koningsdam on April 30, 2017. We paid (Canadian) $1750.00 per person for our cabin with steel railing. Cabin next next door and ones with plexiglass railing were priced at (Canadian) $3400.00 per person. Steel railing cabins are priced today at $1662.00 each and plexiglass ones in the same area on deck 4 are $3400.00 each. More than double the price.

so how do you know if your cabin has a steel rail ?? we have paid for small ss suite on westerdam (6094) and I was assuming it would be regular clear/semi clear barrier......will the room description say so ahead of time

No SS have the steel railing. If you go to HALs site and look at the deck plan any room with a steel.gif next to it means there is a steel railing instead of plexiglass. I've found that most of the time the rooms with the steel railing are on the 4th level (Upper Promenade)

14 night Europe/Med cruise on Koningsdam on April 30, 2017. We paid (Canadian) $1750.00 per person for our cabin with steel railing. Cabin next next door and ones with plexiglass railing were priced at (Canadian) $3400.00 per person. Steel railing cabins are priced today at $1662.00 each and plexiglass ones in the same area on deck 4 are $3400.00 each. More than double the price.

For that kind of difference, I'd definitely take the steel railing!

Most of the steel-walled railing cabins are VE or VF. You can get VE or VF on decks 7 and 8 with plexiglas and a great view for the same price.
True, but, they have the standard small balcony. Our cabin with steel railing on deck 4 has a triple size balcony........this was what sold us. Cat. VE cabins are about $3500.00 per person, double what we paid.

You will find that cabins with steel railings (instead of plexiglass) are on the lowest deck with cabins, usually deck 4 and forward. The reason is that of if you experience heavy seas, the plexiglass railings could be cracked or shattered by waves when the ship is pitching up & down. Deck 5 and above, forward cabins, do not have steel railings. Even the new K-Dam has steel railings on the Beethoven deck 4. Look for the black diamond (steel.gif) on the ship deck plans. That signifies a solid steel railing, Yes, some of the balconies are bigger, but what good is that if you can't see anything unless you are standing up ?

You will find that cabins with steel railings (instead of plexiglass) are on the lowest deck with cabins, usually deck 4 and forward. The reason is that of if you experience heavy seas, the plexiglass railings could be cracked or shattered by waves when the ship is pitching up & down. Deck 5 and above, forward cabins, do not have steel railings. Even the new K-Dam has steel railings on the Beethoven deck 4. Look for the black diamond (steel.gif) on the ship deck plans. That signifies a solid steel railing, Yes, some of the balconies are bigger, but what good is that if you can't see anything unless you are standing up ?

We have been in these cabins many times and actually prefer them. There are many things to do while on the balcony and they all don't include staring at the sea. We usually sit out on the balcony and read and I can watch the sea pass by just fine. You can't see everything from the side of the ship out to the horizon, but you can view the water sitting in the deck chairs. And the shade the steel side offers on a hot sunny afternoon can be very welcome.

Now if you are short, as other have posted, or want to lay in the bed and watch the sea go by then the plexiglass panels are a better choice.

For us the steel panel, larger balcony, and lower to the water are a better choice.

Dan

We have been in these cabins many times and actually prefer them. There are many things to do while on the balcony and they all don't include staring at the sea. We usually sit out on the balcony and read and I can watch the sea pass by just fine. You can't see everything from the side of the ship out to the horizon, but you can view the water sitting in the deck chairs. And the shade the steel side offers on a hot sunny afternoon can be very welcome.

Now if you are short, as other have posted, or want to lay in the bed and watch the sea go by then the plexiglass panels are a better choice.

For us the steel panel, larger balcony, and lower to the water are a better choice.

Dan

"Like" button! Our thoughts exactly.

You actually prefer a cabin that HAL considers as "Obstructed View" ??? To each his own. Definitely not for me !!!
View is really not obstructed accept when sitting (if you are short). However, the difference in price buys us another cruise! I guess this is why loads of people book interiors and oceanviews as opposed to balconies. Not all of us have unlimited funds to spend on a cruise. We're retired and would much rather have 2 cruises this year than just one with a plexiglass railing! Lucky for you that price does not matter and you can afford a better location.

However, the difference in price buys us another cruise! ... Lucky for you that price does not matter and you can afford a better location.
Price really doesn't enter the picture since you can get a VF with plexiglas on deck 8 for the same money. It simply comes down to whether you mind having a solid railing or not. We mind.

No one SITS to "ocean gaze"...you will be fine!

Really? No one? WelI, I do and apparently others on this thread do as well. How could you possibly know how all the thousands of cruisers choose to do their ocean gazing. Your statement is absurd. :rolleyes:

Lucky for you that price does not matter and you can afford a better location.

We are retired too, but if we are going to spend 15 - 30 days at sea in a balcony cabin, we want to SEE the SEA !! We are not short people, but we have had a steel railing cabin only once, (and never again). We simply don't like obstructed views. And other CC posters are correct, you can get a plexiglass balcony veranda cabin for the same price as an obstructed view cabin on deck 4, just on a higher deck. The balcony size is a consideration, but if you are going to spend any time on your big balcony, why have to crane your neck to see anything ? We also turned down a VA cabin upgrade on a Vista class ship. The VA grade cabins on deck 5, mid-ships, all have huge orange lifeboats hanging right under your balcony. You can see straight out, but looking down, all you see are orange lifeboat tops. We kept our VD grade cabin on deck 6 forward instead of accepting HAL's "upgrade" to a VA cabin on deck 5 mid-ships. Sometimes an "upgrade" is not all it's cracked up to be.