Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PharmacyRx

Coral / Alaska Review

The Ship - Beautiful, well-lighted and easy to find your way around. Our stateroom was mid-ship on the Emerald Deck (E310) with a covered balcony. The room (not a suite) was spacious, we had plenty of shelves, drawers and 72 (yes, I counted them) wooden hangers. The shower was good and I am 5'2" and my husband is 6'1", 218 lbs and he had no issues with the shower size. The shower noozle swivels and the water pressure is good. I did bring along a power strip as there are few electrical plug-ins and we had 2 digital cameras and his electric razor.

The bed was comfortable and the pillows were fine as well. I cannot find fault with our accommodations. The balcony was large as we were

next to the life boats and therefore it was a larger than those next to us as well as covered which affords privacy and allowed us to stay out on the deck where others had to be inside if it was raining / misty. We also had a refrigerator, wake up calls are done by computer ( miltary time that you key in) and your steward will bring robes if requested. As most people do, we brought too many clothes. Also, we shipped all of our purchases home which turned out to be very wise as Canada's luggage weight allowances are less than the US.

All of our shipped items made it home safe and sound.

The Food - Horizon Court Buffet had a generous offering and there is something for eveyone. Also, you can order anything from room service ( even if its not on the menu);we did thisoften. We chose Personal Choice dining and made a standing reservation each night for 8:30 for a table for 2. Joseph was the waiter ( has 14 yrs with Princess ) and is superb. The personal choice dining portions were very generous and seconds / thirds are readily available ( as my husband knows the night we had King Crab legs).

We did the land tour prior to the cruise and several ports of call so if you have questions please post them I will help you as best I can.

The only thing we would do differently is not to purchase the soda cards. They are 22.50 each and unless you are a soda-holic they are not worth the money. You can buy sodas on shore and keep in your room refrigerator.

Pharmacy Rx ( May 24 - June 5 travel dates )

Thanks we have been hoping to see some happy faces on Princess Alaska, glad you were pleased.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

Two MORE open Bookings.

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

PharmacyRx:

I am wondering about the ease of getting some coffee to drink while getting dressed in your room in the Princess Lodges in Fairbanks, Denali, and Mt McKinley. It has been noted here that there aren't coffee makers in the rooms. Is there coffee available in the lobbys? Do you have to go to their restaurant and buy some to take to your room? As you have figured out, we like to drink some coffee while getting around in the morming, and I was wondering if I should bring a small coffee maker with me. Thanks.

47Straight

47 Straight,

My husband and I are not coffee drinkers yet I think they have coffee makers in the rooms. At the Fairbanks Princess they have a coffee "station " in next to the lobby where you can but coffee, croissants, etc. As for Denali and MnKinley, I just don't recall but my husband believes they did. Both of these lodges had coffee "stations". While on the ship we ordered hot tea for 2 each morning and afternoon and it was delivered (no extra charge ) within 6-8 minutes. Hope some of this helps...

Are the 'fridges pre-stocked with items for you to buy ... or empty and ready for you to take over ...

Do they truly get cold ... or like previous one ... still need ice for a drink

Coral Princess - 10/21/2004

I never found a refrigerator on a ship that was really cold. On our last trip we kept our ice bucket in the ref. It kept it colder and the ice lasted longer.

As far as the Princess lodges having coffee makers, the one we stayed in in Denali had a sitting room with a refrig and coffeemaker and a bedroom. Don't know if all the rooms have them.

OrlEngr, Princess does not pre-stock their refrigerators with items you buy! If you don't see the ice bucket in your cabin you will probably find it in the refrigerator.

Cruising! It's like being in the Garden of Eatin'!

We were on Coral Princess May 8-22,Vancouver-Whittier-Vancouver, and loved the ship and the trip. Weather was fantastic, full sun & blue skies -- we spent time on our balcony in lightweight shirts having lunch by the glaciers. Our staterooms were A-211 and B-235, wonderful locations for quiet and views and convenience for running up the stairs to the buffet for coffee or tea. Entertainment was very good, especially Duncan Tuck, Jim McDonald, & production shows. The naturalist Barbara Bennett added greatly to our understanding of the sites/sights. There are great hikes in or near Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Excursion highlights were small boat wildlife viewing in Auke Bay (Juneau), visit to dog musher's camp (Skagway), and snorkeling (Ketchikan). The ship's food was fine, service superb. This is our third Alaska cruise -- we love glaciers and wildlife, and this time saw bears, humpback whales, sea otters, stellar sea lions, and LOTS of eagles, as well as glaciers calving. Great trip!