Beverage packages: pre-purchase vs onboard purchase

monorailmedic

Hi All,

Taking my first HAL sailing (scores of other cruises on multiple lines). I see that I can purchase a beverage package ahead of time but have several hundred in OBC I'd like to use for this.

-If I purchase the package once onboard is the price higher than pre-purchasing? Does it ever go on sale online or onboard?

-Is there a way to apply the OBC I have to pre-cruise purchases on the web?

Thanks!

BH

The price for the SBP on Zuiderdam last summer was the same before departure as onboard. I booked onboard and used my OBC to help defray the cost. I've never seen special pricing outside of it being offered as a "free" incentive. You can buy it from any bar on embarkation day, it takes less than 5 minutes.

Thanks. I suppose some of my OBC will go towards WiFi (as grats have been included).

Yes. It's available for use once the cruise starts.

Your OBC gets credited to your account once you board, not beforehand. The O and the B are the hint. ;)

The price for the SBP on Zuiderdam last summer was the same before departure as onboard. I booked onboard and used my OBC to help defray the cost. I've never seen special pricing outside of it being offered as a "free" incentive. You can buy it from any bar on embarkation day, it takes less than 5 minutes.

The $5 savings for pre purchase is relatively new. It just started this year.

Yes. It's available for use once the cruise starts.

Your OBC gets credited to your account once you board, not beforehand. The O and the B are the hint. ;)

It's still money you spend on board :-P

I figueeed as much, bu I know just recently RCI and X allowed you to use OBC ahead of time. Kinda nice but not a probem either way :-)

Just curious...what is the cost of a beverage pkg?

Depends on what you buy i.e. Grey Goose Vodka vs Schmirnoff Vodka. Beer or Wine. Go online, there is a menu with pricing..... In cabin use or at bar

Just curious...what is the cost of a beverage pkg?

The SBP (Signature Beverage Package) is $44.95 per day plus the 15% service charge. That's $51.70 per day, total for everyday of your cruise. It will get you any drink menu priced at $8 or less, and don't consider the service charge, you have already paid it. The break-even point is about 6-1/2 drinks per day priced at $8. Yes, Grey Goose vodka is included. Most cocktails are priced to be within the SBP price limit.

A new thing this year (not on the Oosterdam last December ) is a $5 per day surcharge if you buy the SBP onboard instead of purchasing it online before your cruise. HAL doesn't apply this "surcharge" to any other purchased item, like wine packages, specialty dining, shore excursions, or even the "Elite Beverage package", which ups the per-drink limit to $15. Ship's Services cannot explain why they are penalizing onboard SBP purchases, they just say that's the way it is. I guess they want your money for drinks up front.