Frustration with Cruise Rewards and new Deposit Rules.....

browniegirl

Hi All, I have been an NCL fan for many years and many cruises.........on our last cruise last October, we were talked into purchasing - they were great sales people :).....four cruise rewards. We were very wary of buying that many but were told we could for sure use them all at one time to put towards a suite or haven cruise deposit. We asked several times because I didn't think this was the case, but we were assured onboard, that yes, we could use them all at once towards the deposit. So we purchased four.

Fast forward a few months and I have been looking at cruises a ways out 2018, 2019 and in communication with my ncl guy..... who informed me that NO, we could only use one cruise reward at a time, but sometimes they have promos to use 2.......so I was disappointed, felt we were lied to on board in order to talk us into purchasing the four. So, he tells me that he will keep an eye out for such a promo, ie: using two rewards and low and behold this comes up a couple weeks ago and I confirm with him that the deposit for a suite is still $500 and Haven $1500... he says yes and that my two cruise rewards would satisfy the deposit for a suite. So I research the heck out of it and email him again yesterday, having found a cruise I wanted to book..... he then calls me back stating that it was his error and that the new cruise deposits for suites are the same as the Haven, so $1500 US, over $2000 CAN. So the deposit for this particular cruise was over $2000 Canadian for a suite on a 5 day repositioning cruise in a suite!!!! I am so disappointed with NCL right now, not only were we lied to about the cruise rewards on board, but then told one thing from our ncl person and then told something else yesterday........and he goes on to tell me that they are basically doing me a favour taking over $2000 from me now for a late 2018 cruise because prices will surely go up and I will have saved SOOOO much money by booking now........

Needless to say, I didn't book anything and feel like those cruise rewards will probably go unused unless I use them for a last minute thing. Being a single parent, forking out over $2000 Canadian for a trip in almost two years isn't something I can afford. Very disappointing as I love a particular cabin on the Star and would love it again..... but may have to start investing other cruise lines.........

Has anyone else experienced this at all?

Leah

• Like 1

Needless to say, I didn't book anything and feel like those cruise rewards will probably go unused unless I use them for a last minute thing. Being a single parent, forking out over $2000 Canadian for a trip in almost two years isn't something I can afford. Very disappointing as I love a particular cabin on the Star and would love it again..... but may have to start investing other cruise lines.........

Leah

No reason you can't use them all over a four year period. If money is an issue, there are cheaper cabin options you can book on the ship.

• Like 1

Cheer up a bit you got $1k of deposit (USA) money for half ($500) and can use it until the 4 year limit expires.

Only problem is presently you can only use one quarter of that at a time ($250).

As noted you can transfer (barter sell ebay) it to another latitudes member.

The 2 certificates applied on the same cruise was/is a Promo for Mediterranean cruises - heads up when

this promo appears again or somewhere else in another cruise market.

The cruise market is always in flux and very competitive - rules and promos changing quite frequently.

Patiently wait for your cruise ship to come in - thought about working with a TA ? Some of the times these

TAs get first hand knowledge of Promos incentives bargains to help you the cruising customer grab one of these deals

while you don't have to search the website internet every waking moment.

Sign up or log on to the NCL.com site at the beginning of each month to see what the Insider Offers are being

presented !

The cruising bug is hard to ignore wait for the good times to sail in to your financial satisfaction !

I agree with BirdTravels. I've now had two cruises in 12 months where I was able to use two certificates. It's not that rare. I'm sorry you were given misinformation on board--I've never seen a promo where you could use four certificates. There really should be more accountability for the Cruise Next staff considering how often we see posts where someone was assured of something that most of us know to be completely inaccurate. I'm sure that must be very frustrating for you--I'd be upset, too!

Good luck, and I hope you find a cruise you're excited about and can use two of your certificates on it!

We also were lied to/misled. Got off the Breakaway this month with four of those certificates. I had specifically asked about using two for a deposit, one pp. We asked several times because we were deciding on how many to purchase. We got the same answer that yes, they are used for deposits for the first two people in the cabin.

So, we get home and I try and book the Escape for next Spring Break. I called NCL directly and was told only one per cabin unless I wanted to book a cruise before the end of the year on a few select cruises.

Oh, and BTW they seemed to have jacked up their prices for next Spring just about the amount we would have saved if they allowed two to be used.

Not happy either.

• Like 1

I don't think you can use the certificates on cruises of five nights or less.

Hi All, I have been an NCL fan for many years and many cruises.........on our last cruise last October, we were talked into purchasing - they were great sales people :).....four cruise rewards. We were very wary of buying that many but were told we could for sure use them all at one time to put towards a suite or haven cruise deposit. We asked several times because I didn't think this was the case, but we were assured onboard, that yes, we could use them all at once towards the deposit. So we purchased four.

Fast forward a few months and I have been looking at cruises a ways out 2018, 2019 and in communication with my ncl guy..... who informed me that NO, we could only use one cruise reward at a time, but sometimes they have promos to use 2.......so I was disappointed, felt we were lied to on board in order to talk us into purchasing the four. So, he tells me that he will keep an eye out for such a promo, ie: using two rewards and low and behold this comes up a couple weeks ago and I confirm with him that the deposit for a suite is still $500 and Haven $1500... he says yes and that my two cruise rewards would satisfy the deposit for a suite. So I research the heck out of it and email him again yesterday, having found a cruise I wanted to book..... he then calls me back stating that it was his error and that the new cruise deposits for suites are the same as the Haven, so $1500 US, over $2000 CAN. So the deposit for this particular cruise was over $2000 Canadian for a suite on a 5 day repositioning cruise in a suite!!!! I am so disappointed with NCL right now, not only were we lied to about the cruise rewards on board, but then told one thing from our ncl person and then told something else yesterday........and he goes on to tell me that they are basically doing me a favour taking over $2000 from me now for a late 2018 cruise because prices will surely go up and I will have saved SOOOO much money by booking now........

Leah

I've been able to call and get a 2nd Cruise Reward certificate applied towards two of my future cruises that are more than 6 months away. Just called this morning for one of them and it was easy to have it applied. Must be balcony or above and must be 6 nights or more.

Copied this below for you from the NCL website.

CRUISENEXT PROMOTIONS

Double Your Rewards 6 Months Out

As of 4/6/17 when you book 6 months out in a balcony or higher stateroom, you can apply two Cruise Reward, CruiseNext, CruiseNext Haven, or CruiseNext Lite deposits.

Offer is only applicable to balcony and above staterooms. Reservations need to be booked over 6 months to sailing date to qualify. Accepting updated pricing within 6 months to sailing will void this offer. Offer is based on priced category. Cruise Reward, CruiseNext, and CruiseNext Haven are valid for sailings 6 nights or longer sailings. CruiseNext Lite deposits are valid for Norwegian Sky sailings only. CruiseNext Ultimate reservations are eligible for this offer. Currency exchange rates are set at the time of purchase. Government taxes, port expenses & fees, general excise tax (GET), and discretionary on board service charges and/or gratuities are additional. Cancellation Fees also apply based on the booking/sailing date; therefore, Norwegian Cruise Line strongly recommends the purchase of travel protection on all bookings. Offer is capacity controlled and can be withdrawn at any time. Offer and combinability with other promotional offers is subject to change at any time per Norwegian Cruise Line's discretion. Other restrictions may apply. Not applicable to chartered dates and group types: CMI OP EVENT, CMI OP LG EVENT, INCREG & INCLARGE. Applicable to all offices.

Some of these so called Future Cruise Consultants are just poorly trained glorified sales clerks. Often, they lack in depth knowledge on how different cruise programs, rate structures, restrictions, OBC entitlement etc work. This is not unique to NCL but a common problem with other cruise lines as well. It is a mistake to simply rely on what they tell you without first doing your own homework and understand what you want before you book with them.

Remember that you can ONLY purchase the Cruise Next Certificates while on board !

Unless buying the certificates at the last moment before leaving the ship check-out the fine print details !

You will not get anything in writing other than the 4 year limitation on use and number of certificates

that can be used at one time per cabin booking. Again check out the verbal promises !

While the verbal information maybe in some sort of conflict the fee based wi-fi internet can be accessed

for NCL's written fine print answer.

The program is a great way to buy into your next cruise at a token savings in your present cruise.

Purchase a certificate for $250 and pay $150 and get $100 OBC in ship credit on this present cruise.

Better buy 2 certificates for $500 and pay $250 getting $250 OBC.

Double that to 4 certificates for $1000 and pay $500 getting $500 OBC.

In some cases 1 certificate can be used as a full down payment for a more expensive cabin review this with NCL or your TA.

Other times you may be able to use 2 certificates as a Promo Perk. Watch for that opportunity if eligible !

Some of these so called Future Cruise Consultants are just poorly trained glorified sales clerks. Often, they lack in depth knowledge on how different cruise programs, rate structures, restrictions, OBC entitlement etc work.
I have never discussed booking a cruise with them so I don't know how knowledgeable they are about that. But the dishonest tactics for selling future cruise deposits, that's been going on for a long time, in some cases by the same consultants over many years, so I doubt it's due to poor training, high turnover rate, etc. I think it's probably exactly what NCL trains them to do…

As for accountability, it would help if people would complain to NCL, instead of (or in addition) to coming on here, and if they would be more specific about who sold them the deposits (which ship, what date, and who salesperson/consultant was). But most people don't bother to make a note of this, and by the time they get around to trying to use the deposits and run into problems (which may be months/years later), they can't remember.

One common aspect of these stories is that people know what the rules are going in, and they let themselves be duped by a sales pitch that they know is false. $500 off any Haven/suite booking? :D These posters always say "We asked several times just to be sure". What's the point of that, other than to waste everyone's time? If you need to be sure, get it in writing. And when they refuse to put anything in writing, ignore everything they offered you beyond the basic deal, and decide whether or not to purchase (and how many to purchase) based on what you already knew the rules were in the first place.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

If someone tells you something like this ALWAYS ask them to put it in writing and sign it or use your phone and video the conversation with their permission and get the permission on the video.

Unless you can prove something then you have no recourse. If they say the person was wrong then they should be willing to refund the money and you have recourse thru your credit card.

Anyone care to explain the lure of the CruiseNext Haven and Suites deposits? From what I can see you only get up to 25% value back (as opposed to up to 50% on the regular ones)...why would you not just buy regular deposits and use those for your suite? Especially since we can now use two certificates on balcony/above so long as it's 6 months out.

It's not great that the sales staff misinformed you. I would say it's more a case of them not knowing the answer and guessing rather than flat out lying.

As others have said, you have 4 years to use them or someone will buy them from you. I've seen them for sale on here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been able to call and get a 2nd Cruise Reward certificate applied towards two of my future cruises that are more than 6 months away. Just called this morning for one of them and it was easy to have it applied. Must be balcony or above and must be 6 nights or more.

Copied this below for you from the NCL website.

CRUISENEXT PROMOTIONS

Double Your Rewards 6 Months Out

As of 4/6/17 when you book 6 months out in a balcony or higher stateroom, you can apply two Cruise Reward, CruiseNext, CruiseNext Haven, or CruiseNext Lite deposits.

Offer is only applicable to balcony and above staterooms. Reservations need to be booked over 6 months to sailing date to qualify. Accepting updated pricing within 6 months to sailing will void this offer. Offer is based on priced category. Cruise Reward, CruiseNext, and CruiseNext Haven are valid for sailings 6 nights or longer sailings. CruiseNext Lite deposits are valid for Norwegian Sky sailings only. CruiseNext Ultimate reservations are eligible for this offer. Currency exchange rates are set at the time of purchase. Government taxes, port expenses & fees, general excise tax (GET), and discretionary on board service charges and/or gratuities are additional. Cancellation Fees also apply based on the booking/sailing date; therefore, Norwegian Cruise Line strongly recommends the purchase of travel protection on all bookings. Offer is capacity controlled and can be withdrawn at any time. Offer and combinability with other promotional offers is subject to change at any time per Norwegian Cruise Line's discretion. Other restrictions may apply. Not applicable to chartered dates and group types: CMI OP EVENT, CMI OP LG EVENT, INCREG & INCLARGE. Applicable to all offices.

OMG, Thank you for posting this! We bought 2 CN deposits while on the Escape earlier this month and just booked a balcony on the Bliss next year. Thanks to your information, I was able to use the second $250 deposit for one cabin on that trip. Also, I was able to do it online! I went to make a payment and selected something like "credits and coupons" as my payment method. It brought up my 2nd $250 deposit and I clicked on it and it was applied. You made my day!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your responses and info!

Yes, I do have 3.5 years left to book and use them and will try and get a two cruise cert. promo for sure. It was just a double whammy for me really being told sorry, you can only use 1 and maybe 2 for certain promos (after being told something different) and then being told by pcc one week that the suite deposits were $500 and then two weeks later that the suite deposits were $1500 (not just haven, but all suites also). So it was a little bit of a disappointing hit, that's all.

It just means putting out a lot of money out front - I priced out a 5 day pacific coastal cruise which was fairly reasonably priced in a suite but the deposit was $1500 US (over $2000 CAN) which was almost half of the entire cost of the cruise and the cruise is over two years out and only 5 days long.... and the cruise reward did put a small dent in it but still, I just cant afford to put that much into a deposit. So me personally, cannot justify putting that much money down for a cruise that isn't for two years....just a personal thing.

Will keep an eye out on promos etc.

Leah

Hi! To circumvent the $1500 Haven deposit, I used two certificates during a promotion to book a mini-suite for a cruise 2 years out, which covered my full deposit, and then when it got closer, I watched the availability and then upgraded to a Haven suite and paid the remaining deposit. Since the cruise certificates will be placed back in your account if you cancel, and since the cruise was nearly two years out, I didn't feel that I was really taking any risk, i.e., I could cancel and get them back if suites were sold out before I was ready to pay the difference required....

Slightly off topic, but does it annoy anyone else that if you purchase the 500. Cruise Next Haven/Suite Certificate, it covers the entire Haven deposit, but you only get 100. onboard credit. Irritates me to no end that 1) I am spending way more for a suite or the Haven; 2) I am spending way more for a single certificate; but 3) I am getting only 100. credit back when someone who buys two 250. certificates gets 200. back. I understand that now I get the added benefit of having it cover my whole Haven deposit, but before April, for a non-Haven suite, the deposit requirement was only 500. so I wasn't getting any added benefit, just paying more .... one of those little nits that drives me crazy.

Terry

Hi! To circumvent the $1500 Haven deposit, I used two certificates during a promotion to book a mini-suite for a cruise 2 years out, which covered my full deposit, and then when it got closer, I watched the availability and then upgraded to a Haven suite and paid the remaining deposit. Since the cruise certificates will be placed back in your account if you cancel, and since the cruise was nearly two years out, I didn't feel that I was really taking any risk, i.e., I could cancel and get them back if suites were sold out before I was ready to pay the difference required....

Slightly off topic, but does it annoy anyone else that if you purchase the 500. Cruise Next Haven/Suite Certificate, it covers the entire Haven deposit, but you only get 100. onboard credit. Irritates me to no end that 1) I am spending way more for a suite or the Haven; 2) I am spending way more for a single certificate; but 3) I am getting only 100. credit back when someone who buys two 250. certificates gets 200. back. I understand that now I get the added benefit of having it cover my whole Haven deposit, but before April, for a non-Haven suite, the deposit requirement was only 500. so I wasn't getting any added benefit, just paying more .... one of those little nits that drives me crazy.

Terry

Thank you, that is a great idea!!

Does anyone have a good pcc they can recommend to me? An email address? Mine is leah.b@telus.net..... need a new one, super not impressed with last one, gave me wrong info and will cost me a lot of money and lost promos.......not impressed!!!!

It amazes how many people misunderstand the Cruise Next program. Many a times I have personally witnessed how a fellow cruiser misunderstands the Cruise Next staff's explanation of how the program works. Sometimes people want to hear what they want to hear without paying attention to what is explained to them. It has ALWAYS been the following:

Can buy up to 4 Certificates per Cabin at basically 1/2 price.

To be used within the 4 next years from purchase date.

Can only apply ONE Certificate per booking/cabin for 6 day+ long cruises. There are promotions from time to time whereby you can apply 2 Certificates on SELECTED sailings. Again this only under a promotion for specific sailings

Generally the Cruise Next Cert is to be used as a deposit for your ONE cabin unless it is for a high end Cabin like the Haven, Penthouse etc whereby you must deposit an additional amount to secure the Cabin.

My point is not to jump to conclusion that it is the staff who misinforms you on purpose to make a sale. It is possible but unlikely, It is great program if you are a regular NCL cruiser.

Also the details of the program is listed in writing. If you misunderstood the program don't always blame the staff!

Happy Sailings!

gerry1.10

It amazes how many people misunderstand the Cruise Next program. Many a times I have personally witnessed how a fellow cruiser misunderstands the Cruise Next staff's explanation of how the program works. Sometimes people want to hear what they want to hear without paying attention to what is explained to them. It has ALWAYS been the following:

Can only apply ONE Certificate per booking/cabin for 6 day+ long cruises. There are promotions from time to time whereby you can apply 2 Certificates on SELECTED sailings. Again this only under a promotion for specific sailings

Generally the Cruise Next Cert is to be used as a deposit for your ONE cabin unless it is for a high end Cabin like the Haven, Penthouse etc whereby you must deposit an additional amount to secure the Cabin.

My point is not to jump to conclusion that it is the staff who misinforms you on purpose to make a sale. It is possible but unlikely, It is great program if you are a regular NCL cruiser.

Also the details of the program is listed in writing. If you misunderstood the program don't always blame the staff!

Happy Sailings!

gerry1.10:):)

Happy Sailings!

gerry1.10:):)

Listening, reading and comprehending are vastly over rated. I can't imagine why anyone would need those skills:p

........and he goes on to tell me that they are basically doing me a favour taking over $2000 from me now for a late 2018 cruise because prices will surely go up and I will have saved SOOOO much money by booking now........

Leah

I started to book a suite yesterday and the deposit came to 55% of the cruise price so I didn't book. I got a call from NCL asking me to finish the booking and I told them I didn't feel the deposit was reasonable for a cruise in 2019. I went and booked the same Mexican itinerary on Princess with a normal deposit.