How are the Swans doing?

Thanks for the thorough update Mic! I don't get it--why do the Swans jump from 4th to 6th--did they lose a game? I truly can't keep up with the standings!

Hi Leigh

I wish you good luck too, and much as I hate to say it after all your excellent advice, I hope the Swans win :D Even though I don't understand the seedings, the Swans getting in is waaaaay more than I expected after watching them on opening night. Who knew tey could be good!

Good luck, may the best team win :evilsmile:

ML

The Swans dropped to 6th because the other two teams still had to play their respective games over the weekend (some play Friday night, others Saturday and some on Sunday) and when they won, they leapfrogged above due to points (4 points per win) and / or percentage (the goals for and against ratio).

It is also a contractual thing where the MCG gets a final every week no matter who it is.

Not quite true

lets look at this way if all interstate teams are playing finals (yes i know not all the interstate teams are playing finals in 2017)

There will only be 1 final played at the MCG and that would be the Grand Final

The only contract the MCG has with the Afl is that the Grand final must be played there

My point is here if all teams playing in the emlination finals you wouldnt expect 2 interstate teams to fly to melbourne just to play and elimination final this would make it very unaffordable for the fans as well to turn up each week in Melbourne

as for this year there will be a game at the MCG each week due to Geelong and Richmond Game..

If my memory serves me correct a year or 2 ago there was a week in the finals that the MCG was never used...

as i said there is only 1 week of the finals it is always going t happen and that is the grand final irregadless who is playing .

anyway this year could look like an all nsw final being played at the mcg come that last saturday in september

Not quite true

lets look at this way if all interstate teams are playing finals (yes i know not all the interstate teams are playing finals in 2017)

There will only be 1 final played at the MCG and that would be the Grand Final

The only contract the MCG has with the Afl is that the Grand final must be played there

My point is here if all teams playing in the emlination finals you wouldnt expect 2 interstate teams to fly to melbourne just to play and elimination final this would make it very unaffordable for the fans as well to turn up each week in Melbourne

as for this year there will be a game at the MCG each week due to Geelong and Richmond Game..

If my memory serves me correct a year or 2 ago there was a week in the finals that the MCG was never used...

as i said there is only 1 week of the finals it is always going t happen and that is the grand final irregadless who is playing .

anyway this year could look like an all nsw final being played at the mcg come that last saturday in september

It must have changed then.

I seem to remember when the Crows had to paly in Melbourne despite having earned the right to a home final.

I found this information about where the finals are to be played, it seems to have been relaxed from what it was ten or so years ago.

Under the current arrangement, all Victorian finals matches are scheduled at the MCG – except in cases when two finals are to be held in Victoria on the same day, in which case Docklands Stadium or (in the event of Geelong being the home team) Kardinia Park may be used for the match expected to draw the lower crowd.

The current contract requires that at least ten finals matches (plus all Grand Finals) be played at the MCG during every rolling five-year period. This stipulation could require the AFL to schedule a non-Victorian team's home match at the MCG to meet the quota, in the event that non-Victorian teams dominate the competition for an extended period.[2]

The Grand Final will be played at the MCG every year until at least 2037, regardless of the state of origin of the teams involved.

I found this information about where the finals are to be played, it seems to have been relaxed from what it was ten or so years ago.

Under the current arrangement, all Victorian finals matches are scheduled at the MCG – except in cases when two finals are to be held in Victoria on the same day, in which case Docklands Stadium or (in the event of Geelong being the home team) Kardinia Park may be used for the match expected to draw the lower crowd.

The current contract requires that at least ten finals matches (plus all Grand Finals) be played at the MCG during every rolling five-year period. This stipulation could require the AFL to schedule a non-Victorian team's home match at the MCG to meet the quota, in the event that non-Victorian teams dominate the competition for an extended period.[2]

The Grand Final will be played at the MCG every year until at least 2037, regardless of the state of origin of the teams involved.

I stand to be corrected and thanks Miccanberra for that info

I knew there was a lengthy contract on grand finals being played at the MCG rregardless who is playing but i didnt think it included where other finals to be played at

I stand to be corrected and thanks Miccanberra for that info

I knew there was a lengthy contract on grand finals being played at the MCG rregardless who is playing but i didnt think it included where other finals to be played at

It seems that they have introduced the 5 year roll, but as I follow the two Sydney teams and the two Adelaide teams more closely than any Victorian side, the issue has come up in the past.

Needless to say, I think the Important thing is that there is some flexibility that allows three states to host finals this weekend.

The Swans dropped to 6th because the other two teams still had to play their respective games over the weekend (some play Friday night, others Saturday and some on Sunday) and when they won, they leapfrogged above due to points (4 points per win) and / or percentage (the goals for and against ratio).

Ah, now I understand, thanks Mic. Real time rankings do change as other games are played, should have figured that our for myself. Couldn't find any AFL games on TV here so far, but I'll keep looking.

Go Swans!

ML

Ah, now I understand, thanks Mic. Real time rankings do change as other games are played, should have figured that our for myself. Couldn't find any AFL games on TV here so far, but I'll keep looking.

Go Swans!

ML

They may not show any this weekend but they are sure to show the grand final at the end of September.

Go Swans!

ML

They may not show any this weekend but they are sure to show the grand final at the end of September.

My mate says he gets them every week, maybe it's a regional thing.

Most likely. I have been overseas (the US and Europe) and had up to 200 channels to pick from, 20 of which with sport but still couldn't get any Aussie content.

Yep, this is how it is! DH says "200 channels and nothing to watch" :D. If you really want to watch something (like the Swans), the probability of it showing (especially live) is inversely proportional to US TV showing it! (aka, I really want to watch, thus it is unlikely to be shown :)). OTOH, you can always watch stuff you don't care about--HS football, HS athletes signing letters of intent, old volleyball/tennis games, etc.

I will keep looking, maybe late September is the key. We are just about to begin (American) football season, and we have been waiting 7 months, so demand is primed :D

Go Swans!

ML

Yep, this is how it is! DH says "200 channels and nothing to watch" :D. If you really want to watch something (like the Swans), the probability of it showing (especially live) is inversely proportional to US TV showing it! (aka, I really want to watch, thus it is unlikely to be shown :)). OTOH, you can always watch stuff you don't care about--HS football, HS athletes signing letters of intent, old volleyball/tennis games, etc.

I will keep looking, maybe late September is the key. We are just about to begin (American) football season, and we have been waiting 7 months, so demand is primed :D

Go Swans!

ML

Okay just to note, there are no games this weekend as they all get a rest.

Next Thursday night (7th Sept) is the Crows Vs Giants game in Adelaide.

Friday night (8th Sept) is the Geelong vs Tigers game at the MCG

Saturday (9th Sept) afternoon will be the Swans vs Essendon game in Sydney followed by the Port vs West Coast game in Adelaide that night.

I hope you can find the Sydney game at least, it would be good for you anyway.

look there is many ways yu can do this No Winners if you are relly wanting to watch AFL

you can try these links

https://www.vipbox.bz/aussie-rules

https://www.strikeout.me/aussie-rules

or

download Kodi and a good VPN and get AFL Video from the superRepo repository and you may well get the live games

look there is many ways yu can do this No Winners if you are relly wanting to watch AFL

you can try these links

https://www.vipbox.bz/aussie-rules

https://www.strikeout.me/aussie-rules

or

download Kodi and a good VPN and get AFL Video from the superRepo repository and you may well get the live games

Some good ideas that may work. Otherwise you can always just follow the scoring live on a webpage like http://www.flashscore.com/ AFL is first on the left under the 'More' tab as Aussie Rules..

Thanks for the links. great info. I don't get to see these much in the US--our TV tries to drown out the competition :)

And the Swans play on my birthday, a very good omen:D

Go Swans

ML

Thanks for the links. great info. I don't get to see these much in the US--our TV tries to drown out the competition :)

And the Swans play on my birthday, a very good omen:D

Go Swans

ML

Hope you gave a great birthday and the Swannies do it for you. But don't forget the times are East Coast Aus times.

Crows won 84 (12.12) to 48 (6.12).

Damp weather made it a low scoring game, with lots of rushed behinds.

Just home from the 'G'. What a great win by the Tigers. It was fantastic being a neutral at the game. To see the excitement of the Tiger faithful was amazing, The train ride home was interesting to say the least. I was with my S I L and we decided to go to a bar in the MCC members' reserve and have a drink before trying to get to the station and braving the crowds It was a wise decision although still many people around and in fact our train was very crowded.

Now for the Swans and Bombers tomorrow - come on Bombers!

Leigh