How does the Mariner discount work for purchases?

This will be my first cruise as a 3-star. Is the 25% discount automatically deducted from eligible purchases? Or is it something the person charging me does manually, and I need to keep an eye on my receipts and verify that I received my discount?

Sorry if this has been asked a bazillion times, but I haven't seen it.

Thanks!

It should be automatically applied. But with that said, I still occasionally check my receipts to insure that I get my entitled discount. I'll check more at the beginning of the cruise and then taper off. Also if I make any major purchases, I generally check the receipt.

If you pre-purchase and specialty dinners or Beverage Cards or wine packages, you will not see the 25% discount -- you are charged the full price.

The discount will show up once you get on the ship as a "Loyalty" ship board credit.

I check our shipboard account within a day or two once we are on the ship.

Thanks! Sounds like I don't need to worry about it.

I figured it was automatic. But didn't want to: a) miss out on a discount I should have received and have to go deal with it afterwards, or b) have some shop girl roll her eyes at me for mentioning a discount that will show up automatically anyway.

I'm very excited about being able to try Tamarind this time and may book it before the cruise. Very glad to know that even though the discount won't show when I I book it, it will be applied later. Thanks for including that detail Krazy Kruizers!

If you pre-purchase and specialty dinners or Beverage Cards or wine packages, you will not see the 25% discount -- you are charged the full price.

The discount will show up once you get on the ship as a "Loyalty" ship board credit.

I check our shipboard account within a day or two once we are on the ship.

One more question, please. Is the discount available for the mini bar set up in your room or is that even available anymore? Thanks for your reply. We haven't cruised with Hal in years. We leave this August on the Rotterdam.

One more question, please. Is the discount available for the mini bar set up in your room or is that even available anymore?
Yes, the discount applies on the mini bar.

If you use anything from there, check your bill. Three days after using one soda we were charged for 1 soda, 1 wine, and 1 beer. I went to the front desk and had the error corrected. When we debarked the bill was correct. The amount later charged to my credit card had the wine and beer added in again. :mad: (This was on the Oosterdam.)

Yes, the discount applies on the mini bar.

If you use anything from there, check your bill. Three days after using one soda we were charged for 1 soda, 1 wine, and 1 beer. I went to the front desk and had the error corrected. When we debarked the bill was correct. The amount later charged to my credit card had the wine and beer added in again. :mad: (This was on the Oosterdam.)

That's interesting. I was just thinking about how on at least two different ships I had a can of soda from the mini bar and was never charged!

Some CC members ask the cabin steward to completely empty their mini-bar fridge upon boarding. That way the fridge is open and available for bottles of water or any sodas you bring back to the room. Plus, there is no hassles about mini-bar items being charged to your account days after you leave the ship. We have had that happen multiple times, and we have had to call HAL after we got home to dispute the charge. No problem getting it taken off, but it is a hassle you should not have to go through.

This will be my first cruise as a 3-star. Is the 25% discount automatically deducted from eligible purchases?

Since it's automatic, what's fun is when a 1* Mariner is sharing a cabin & booking number with a 4* Mariner, and gets the higher benefits. The Explorations Café steward stares at the card with the one star, looks at the receipt with the four star discount, and gets all confused.

It has happened with stewards who are fairly new. :D

Since it's automatic, what's fun is when a 1* Mariner is sharing a cabin & booking number with a 4* Mariner, and gets the higher benefits. The Explorations Café steward stares at the card with the one star, looks at the receipt with the four star discount, and gets all confused.

It has happened with stewards who are fairly new. :D

LOL Ruth that would be fun! As a solo I won't get to enjoy it.

But especially when I was a 1* I would really have loved that 4* free laundry!