Eurodam to Alaska : We came , we saw , we photographed .

Wow , that is cutting it pretty close . :eek:

We saw people boarding almost at sail away carrying their own luggage . Can you get HAL to transport you ? Or have the ship's number to phone them after you land just in case .

I do have the contact info for HA in the event we are running late. There are 20 of us and we all know that we are going to have hit the ground running. I am just trying not to stress too bad. Nothing can be done at this point.

Sorry to barge in on Scubacruiser's thread, but that is indeed cutting it close, especially as you are flying cross country. Did you book your flight(s) through HAL or independently? Here's a quote from HAL's website with contact information if you think you're running late:

What If My Flight Is Delayed?

From time to time, guests encounter transportation delays in getting to their cruise ship. If it is your day of sailing and this happens to you, please follow these guidelines:

First, advise your airline at the earliest opportunity that you are a cruise guest destined for a sailing that day. Working directly with the carrier is important as the airlines are usually able to arrange alternative flights.

If you believe a delay will cause you to arrive in the port of embarkation less than two hours before the ship's scheduled departure or if you are concerned for any reason that the ship may leave before you arrive, our representatives may be able to advise you of arrangements to minimize disruptions in your vacation plans.

Ask the airline to immediately advise our Air/Sea Department, or call us yourself at 1-800-628-4771 or 1-206-286-3294. Air/Sea representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year. These numbers are provided for emergency use only; please do not call unless it is your day of departure and you are experiencing a delay. All other questions and concerns regarding air arrangements should be directed to your travel professional. For further information on our relationship with airlines, please refer to your Cruise Contract.

If you have purchased air transportation independently from Holland America, you will be responsible for any and all expenses incurred when joining the vessel in progress.

We booked independently but at least it is a non stop. I do have the contact info for HA in the event we are running late. There are 20 of us and we all know that we are going to have hit the ground running. I am just trying not to stress too bad. Nothing can be done at this point.

We enjoyed it and it $10 p.p.

The Jordan was a splurge at just a little over market price but we had to pay 15% gratuity additionally .

We brought 4 bottles of wine and paid the corkage fee on 2 for total cost of $130 .

1 bottle of the same wine on HAL was $82.80 with gratuity .

1 bottle of the same wine on Celebrity was $ 107 with gratuity.

Pretty sure that lunch price is less than half what it would be in Murano on Celebrity....we'll have to try it out!! We plan to bring at least 2 bottles and might go ahead with 2 more too and pay the corkage fee....nothing better than sitting on the balcony sipping a glass of wine....or two...or three...:)

Big difference in the wine price from X.....somehow I am not surprised...:confused:

We booked independently but at least it is a non stop. I do have the contact info for HA in the event we are running late. There are 20 of us and we all know that we are going to have hit the ground running. I am just trying not to stress too bad. Nothing can be done at this point.

Wishing you all the best:)

Thank You! Taking all the prayers and well wishes we can get. Fingers crossed.

You do have those from us .

Trip insurance is available and we would recommend it ! We had to cancel a Transatlantic cruise , stay and flight when my wife had to have emergency surgeries . We are sure glad that we had it and that she recovered !! :) :D

Pretty sure that lunch price is less than half what it would be in Murano on Celebrity....we'll have to try it out!! We plan to bring at least 2 bottles and might go ahead with 2 more too and pay the corkage fee....nothing better than sitting on the balcony sipping a glass of wine....or two...or three...:)

Big difference in the wine price from X.....somehow I am not surprised...:confused:

That sounds like a great plan Gracie ! Have you done this before ? ;)

A glimpse of thee Suite Life

DSC00853_zps62gtps2n.jpg

Dinner out in the inside passage . Sun and reading glasses optional , but wine glasses necessary !

DSC01617_zpswbywqhs8.jpg

Shoot! Are those cherries on the plate with the lemon meringue cheesecake? I am DEATHLY allergic to cherries. I may have to make a special request and see if they will skip the cherries on my plate.

That sounds like a great plan Gracie ! Have you done this before ? ;)

A glimpse of thee Suite Life

DSC00853_zps62gtps2n.jpg

Dinner out in the inside passage . Sun and reading glasses optional , but wine glasses necessary !

DSC01617_zpswbywqhs8.jpg

I've read on the HAL site that you can bring 1 bottle each and then additional bottles for a corkage fee of $18.00 per bottle.....that's for consuming in the stateroom...not sure what additional charge there may be for service in the MDR.....

We are hoping we can have dinner in the room also and would love to be able have my sister and brother in law with us...I will have to find out when we board if that's possible.... sure looks like a great way to see part of Alaska!!!:)

Shoot! Are those cherries on the plate with the lemon meringue cheesecake? I am DEATHLY allergic to cherries. I may have to make a special request and see if they will skip the cherries on my plate.

Yes they are cherries so protect yourself !

On the other hand Pat can't have anything with small seeds like strawberries , tomatoes , sesame or poppy seeds .

I've read on the HAL site that you can bring 1 bottle each and then additional bottles for a corkage fee of $18.00 per bottle.....that's for consuming in the stateroom...not sure what additional charge there may be for service in the MDR.....

We are hoping we can have dinner in the room also and would love to be able have my sister and brother in law with us...I will have to find out when we board if that's possible.... sure looks like a great way to see part of Alaska!!!:)

We took our wine and the receipt for the corkage fee to the Gala dinner and there was no extra charge in the MDR or Tamarind when we later took our 2nd bottle with the receipt .

I don't think that dinner in the room with family would be a problem but ask the concierge to arrange it . However , them eating in the Neptune Lounge might be so once again I would check . We did meet some suite guests on Princess who showed us their lounge and room , but we would not feel comfortable taking anything that we didn't pay for . And that visit was part of the reason we upgraded from a Signature to a Neptune . :) :D

After dinner is was nice to see that the laundry which we had sent out that morning was back on hangers

DSC00888_zpsvg5hxoxx.jpg

And that some things were folded and wrapped . The laundry service is free in the Neptune suites .

DSC00886_zpsxvyt9ip3.jpg

The next day we were scheduled to arrive in Juneau after lunch

DSC00891_zpsuyqydp8o.jpg

DSC00892_zpsr1mzjncn.jpg

Monday morning we were charting our progress with the TV and the map that came with the book

DSC00907_zpsrmhmchp0.jpg

DSC00909-001_zpsprzowxk5.jpg

We took our wine and the receipt for the corkage fee to the Gala dinner and there was no extra charge in the MDR or Tamarind when we later took our 2nd bottle with the receipt .

I don't think that dinner in the room with family would be a problem but ask the concierge to arrange it . However , them eating in the Neptune Lounge might be so once again I would check . We did meet some suite guests on Princess who showed us their lounge and room , but we would not feel comfortable taking anything that we didn't pay for . And that visit was part of the reason we upgraded from a Signature to a Neptune . :) :D

I will check with the concierge about dinner, but have no plans to have them "crash" the Neptune Lounge...:) I just assume that since everyone eats dinner it might be possible for all 4 of us in the room....we'll see...not a huge deal...

That's nice to know about the wine, even though we booked under the "explore 4" which includes a basic alcohol package the lists of wines I've seen that are eligible on the package are few and for the most part not one we would choose..and it's my understanding that unlike on X you can't just "pay the difference" of what the package includes on a drink that is not on it....so bringing a bottle to the MDR will work for us too!!!

We are getting so excited!! 18 days!!! And your review has arrived in Juneau where we are scheduled for the helicopter ride to the glacier!!! WOO HOO!:)

We enjoyed it and it $10 p.p.

The Jordan was a splurge at just a little over market price but we had to pay 15% gratuity additionally .

We brought 4 bottles of wine and paid the corkage fee on 2 for total cost of $130 .

1 bottle of the same wine on HAL was $82.80 with gratuity .

1 bottle of the same wine on Celebrity was $ 107 with gratuity.

Corkage was $65 per bottle????

:eek:

I know Celebrity's markup is much higher than most. Several years ago we did B2B with Celebrity and Princess and found a disparity similar to yours .

And to Jeannie - our thoughts and good wishes are sent your way for your Mom's speedy and full recovery!!!

Corkage was $65 per bottle????

:eek:

I know Celebrity's markup is much higher than most. Several years ago we did B2B with Celebrity and Princess and found a disparity similar to yours .

It was $ 36 for the corkage fee and we had 4 bottles of wine with an average price of $ 23.50 for a total of $130 . 2 we kept in the room for lunch or after dinner 2 went with us for dinner and were uncorked , and kept for us there . And we bought the splurge wine when we saw that it was reasonable . This is usually what we would drinks in 2 weeks but we were in the HAL party mode .

And to Jeannie - our thoughts and good wishes are sent your way for your Mom's speedy and full recovery!!!

I'm sorry if I missed that Jeannie ! She will be in our prayers , thoughts and wishes for a good and comfortable outcome ! I've been a little loopy with some medication that I've been taking recently . :confused:

I will check with the concierge about dinner, but have no plans to have them "crash" the Neptune Lounge...:) I just assume that since everyone eats dinner it might be possible for all 4 of us in the room....we'll see...not a huge deal...

That's nice to know about the wine, even though we booked under the "explore 4" which includes a basic alcohol package the lists of wines I've seen that are eligible on the package are few and for the most part not one we would choose..and it's my understanding that unlike on X you can't just "pay the difference" of what the package includes on a drink that is not on it....so bringing a bottle to the MDR will work for us too!!!

We are getting so excited!! 18 days!!! And your review has arrived in Juneau where we are scheduled for the helicopter ride to the glacier!!! WOO HOO!:)

We are thrilled for you guys !

The helicopter is cozy since we had 4 guys in the back seat in the same size space as the pilot and 2 ladies in the front . Did you book directly or shore excursion ?

We are thrilled for you guys !

The helicopter is cozy since we had 4 guys in the back seat in the same size space as the pilot and 2 ladies in the front . Did you book directly or shore excursion ?

We booked as a shore excursion with HAL.....we did more ship shore excursions than we've done in our last 4-5 cruises combined, which is okay...suspect we spent a few more dollars on some but also ran into issues in some places, like Haines, where many of the vendors have agreements with the ships to not book privately to passengers..... didn't book anything for Ketchikan...plan to tour on our own there....

Are the whales on the map that I see when I zoom in where whales were spotted from the ship?

The whales on the map are where they normally may be found . We saw a few spouts in the distance , but no heads or tails . We were supposed to do a private wildlife boat tour with whales , puffins and sea otters in Sitka , but that port was cancelled .

We booked as a shore excursion with HAL.....we did more ship shore excursions than we've done in our last 4-5 cruises combined, which is okay...suspect we spent a few more dollars on some but also ran into issues in some places, like Haines, where many of the vendors have agreements with the ships to not book privately to passengers..... didn't book anything for Ketchikan...plan to tour on our own there....

Enjoy as it may be a once in a lifetime visit ! We did have a retired Park Ranger as our guide in Ketchikan who was good and covered a lot of ground . :) :D

We haven't featured many outdoor shots as it was grey and overcast but sometimes the light broke thru

DSC00724_zpsatroi2cj.jpg

We also noticed that we had picked up a tail

DSC00915_zpsogoxh02j.jpg

so I changed lenses and went up top .

DSC00950_zpssjwgembn.jpg

This area looked like Cape Horn

IMG_5592_zpsxaipa8qe.jpg

We were getting closer to shore

IMG_5602_zpsqeqh6w6a.jpg

IMG_5617_zpsfhxifluj.jpg

The ship behind us was the Nieuw Amsterdam and it was gaining on us .

IMG_5627_zpsxwkphllk.jpg

I headed back to our room where is was less windy and we were in a channel now

DSC00966_zps2oer2prt.jpg

Pat spied some ice using her binoculars

IMG_5649_zpsib4kfgkl.jpg

IMG_5657_zps6nmltdg4.jpg

And we were seeing signs of life

IMG_5709_zpsisoe7uaz.jpg

This house had a very tall river from the snow melt that ran under the house !

IMG_5730_zpskw6dtmea.jpg