Recent Oosterdam Alaska cruisers

Tinknock50

If it is a ship excursion your tickets which will be delivered to your stateroom will indicate where and what time to meet. I would expect it to be in the showroom.
Thanks. I knew it would be on the tickets but I was hoping someone who took a recent cruise would know where the meeting place was.

In general, early morning ship tours usually meet in the showroom, and noon and after tours will meet on the pier (assuming you arrive in the early AM). We've been on some tours that meet on shore if the ship arrives late morning/noon. This can be hectic if everyone else is trying to leave that are not on tours.

In general, early morning ship tours usually meet in the showroom, and noon and after tours will meet on the pier (assuming you arrive in the early AM). We've been on some tours that meet on shore if the ship arrives late morning/noon. This can be hectic if everyone else is trying to leave that are not on tours.

The ship docks at 7 and the tour starts at 7:30 am, so it sound like the showroom it is.

Hope also to hear from those who were just on the Oosterdam. :)

Hey Sean - I have no answer to your question other than a guess that yes, due to the early tour time, you will most likely meet in the showroom. But just wanted to wish you and Mike a wonderful Alaska cruise! You must be over the moon with excitement!

Still no lottery winnings here, however you're still on my list for that free Alaska cruise when I do!

Hey Sean - I have no answer to your question other than a guess that yes, due to the early tour time, you will most likely meet in the showroom. But just wanted to wish you and Mike a wonderful Alaska cruise! You must be over the moon with excitement!

Still no lottery winnings here, however you're still on my list for that free Alaska cruise when I do!

Thanks. :) I did win $500 , but that isn't enough for one person, so did not honor our "pact" there.:D

Yes, I am over the moon! What's cool this time is that Mike is doing a lot more research on cruises now.........watching videos and reading reviews on the internet. Before he just waited to see what happens. I like him more involved with it.:)

Any recent Oosterdam cruisers that are willing to share your trip reports? We are sailing June 18th for our 35th anniversary.First time on HAL although we have been to Alaska on one of our 8 Disney cruises. Would like to know what to expect. Thanks

Any recent Oosterdam cruisers that are willing to share your trip reports? We are sailing June 18th for our 35th anniversary.First time on HAL although we have been to Alaska on one of our 8 Disney cruises. Would like to know what to expect. Thanks

Well... I'll do a review when we return but that will be too late for June 18. ;) It's been a while since we cruised with HAL but I think some of the standout differences remain. Lots of "Dutch" traditions and motifs. Dutch split pea soup out on deck for example. The Philippine and Indonesian crew and staff seemed (to us anyway) to have a lot more cohesion than RCCL (our other experience) which has international crews from all over the world. I think with only two dominant cultures they just "click" better. Thinking back the whole atmosphere was more sedate, stately and less hectic than other cruises - but maybe that was an Alaska factor. Definitely looking forward to Oosterdam in about 3-1/2 weeks.

Interesting.... I did not know Oosterdam went to Glacier Bay. Our itinerary for 6/11 sailing says Hubbard Glacier. I wonder if they alternate weeks at each.

6/18 sailing is only Hubbard Glacier also.

Interesting.... I did not know Oosterdam went to Glacier Bay. Our itinerary for 6/11 sailing says Hubbard Glacier. I wonder if they alternate weeks at each.

I believe it was an exception, due to bad weather at Hubbard. Apparently, there was an opening for Glacier Bay that day. They only permit two large cruise ships a day there.

I believe it was an exception, due to bad weather at Hubbard. Apparently, there was an opening for Glacier Bay that day. They only permit two large cruise ships a day there.

That is correct. It was a one-off.

Here is the schedule for Glacier Bay.... http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Glacier-Bay-GB-2017.pdf

There are no scheduled Glacier Bay visits for the Oosterdam.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on the same cruise! First time on HAL and first time to Alaska. Disney and RCCL prior.

We were on Oosterdam for the May 14th sailing. I hope you don't mind just a quick review here? The service and food were great. Tea at 3pm and late night snack in the Lido at 10:30 everyday in addition to regular meals. They weren't themed this time, though (no Dutch tea, although they might have put out some Dutch food, I'm not sure). The entertainment was Lincoln Center Stage (strings and piano), Billboard onboard (2 piano players playing and singing songs for that hour's theme, for example, the 60s, or All Request), B.B. King's All Star (2 singers and a live band--I loved it!), and the Main Stage, which was a bit of a disappointment this time. I didn't go to everything, but the shows were Musicology, featuring Oosterdam's dancers; The Comedy of Mike James (tired jokes about his wife and about getting old. We walked out); Alaska in Concert (live music set against a backdrop of BBC Earth Wild Alaska footage); Comedian/Magician Nick Diffatte (very good!); One World, featuring Oosterdam's singers and dancers; and an Broadway singer. One of my only complaints is that our room steward told us there was no way to remove or lock up the minibar items in the refrigerator. My 12 year old gave in to temptation and had a Coke one night, but she could just have easily taken some liquor. Hope this helps. Sorry I couldn't answer the original question.

We were on Oosterdam for the May 14th sailing. I hope you don't mind just a quick review here? The service and food were great. Tea at 3pm and late night snack in the Lido at 10:30 everyday in addition to regular meals. They weren't themed this time, though (no Dutch tea, although they might have put out some Dutch food, I'm not sure). The entertainment was Lincoln Center Stage (strings and piano), Billboard onboard (2 piano players playing and singing songs for that hour's theme, for example, the 60s, or All Request), B.B. King's All Star (2 singers and a live band--I loved it!), and the Main Stage, which was a bit of a disappointment this time. I didn't go to everything, but the shows were Musicology, featuring Oosterdam's dancers; The Comedy of Mike James (tired jokes about his wife and about getting old. We walked out); Alaska in Concert (live music set against a backdrop of BBC Earth Wild Alaska footage); Comedian/Magician Nick Diffatte (very good!); One World, featuring Oosterdam's singers and dancers; and an Broadway singer. One of my only complaints is that our room steward told us there was no way to remove or lock up the minibar items in the refrigerator. My 12 year old gave in to temptation and had a Coke one night, but she could just have easily taken some liquor. Hope this helps. Sorry I couldn't answer the original question.
Liked your mini-review Thanks!

I was surprised about the mini-bar. On other cruises , we asked and had the fridge emptied .