Venice to Rome or Civitavecchia, on Train

Motorcycle Gma

So, we're coming into Venice, spending the night and planning the fast train to Rome, then probably the next day to Civitaveccia (Option 1). Or we might go direct from Venice to Civit.?? (Option 2) We have been both places once so are somewhat familiar with Venice & Rome. Venice was just the cheapest airfare -- we are NOT planning any touring other than maybe taking the gondola which we skipped last time.

So far, I'm spending one night near train station in Venice on 8/29 and one night near the Coliseum/Termini on 8/30 and our ship departs 5:00 pm on 8/31 Civit. I'm rethinking whether we should just leave Venice & go direct to our ship on 8/31, but I know it's a long day schlepping luggage and we stop at Roma Termini anyway.

Question: Which Civitavecchia is the correct stop on the train? There are 3 on the Trenitalia website. Civitavecchia, Civitavecchia Tutte La Statione, or Civitavecchia Viale Della Vittoria. HELP! Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated on Option 1 or Option 2 for the train trip?

Last time we did this (2010) we took the Regional train from Roma Termini to Civit. but I understand the station has moved further away?? I remember dragging luggage up or down steps and walking a short couple blocks then getting the shuttle to our ship. I did read some other threads, but nobody mentioned the 3 Civitavecchia stops.

I really don't know why Trenitalia shows three stations, only one - Civitavecchia - is operational.

The station hasn't moved but the port entrance has. You can still enter the port at the fort (the southern entrance) but on foot only, no vehicles. It's also questionable whether or not the port shuttle bus will pick up at this entrance so if your ship is way out there, it's a long haul.

• 3 weeks later...
So, we're coming into Venice, spending the night and planning the fast train to Rome, then probably the next day to Civitaveccia (Option 1). Or we might go direct from Venice to Civit.?? (Option 2) We have been both places once so are somewhat familiar with Venice & Rome. Venice was just the cheapest airfare -- we are NOT planning any touring other than maybe taking the gondola which we skipped last time.

So far, I'm spending one night near train station in Venice on 8/29 and one night near the Coliseum/Termini on 8/30 and our ship departs 5:00 pm on 8/31 Civit. I'm rethinking whether we should just leave Venice & go direct to our ship on 8/31, but I know it's a long day schlepping luggage and we stop at Roma Termini anyway.

Question: Which Civitavecchia is the correct stop on the train? There are 3 on the Trenitalia website. Civitavecchia, Civitavecchia Tutte La Statione, or Civitavecchia Viale Della Vittoria. HELP! Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated on Option 1 or Option 2 for the train trip?

Last time we did this (2010) we took the Regional train from Roma Termini to Civit. but I understand the station has moved further away?? I remember dragging luggage up or down steps and walking a short couple blocks then getting the shuttle to our ship. I did read some other threads, but nobody mentioned the 3 Civitavecchia stops.

We are thinking about flying back to the states from Venice, instead of Rome. Planning to stay for two nights, where are you planning to stay? We were thinking of taking the train from Rome to Venice when we return from our cruise.

Hi, It depends what you are looking for. We're perfectly happy staying in a small B&B called Aquavenice, see Trip Advisor for reviews. It's on the main road near train & one block to pick up the boat to airport. We've stayed here before. Beautiful room with murano glass chandeliers & friendly staff. They provide breakfast in your room. Last time we paid over $200. This year it's maybe $150. Reasonable for Venice. Very small & no lobby or elevator. One flight of stairs didn't bother us.

There is a Hilton hotel on an adjoining island (Gugliano?) if you prefer a large hotel or have miles. We stayed in a private apartment next to the Hilton with beautiful views of a large canal. This was thru Home Away or Vrbo. We loved it, full kitchen & free boat shuttle to St. marks. Long boat ride to airport tho!

I prefer booking.com to find places to stay in Venice or Rome. There's a map with hotels, prices & reviews. Plus you don't pay until you get there & flexible cancellation.

If you're thinking of flying Alitalia, beware!!! See my thread on their financial issues.

Good luck, happy travels.