VgsBby

Fire on Island Princess May 15

Hello, I'm on board the Island Princess, we have just completed an amazing day viewing the glaciers in Galcier Bay National Park.

This morning about 7:30 there was an emergency announcement for a fire in the deck 4 engine room. We were having breakfast in the Horizons buffet area. About 5 minutes later, the general emergency alarm was sounded and all crew were called to their emergency stations. They remained for about 30 minutes before being released. We were advised that the fire was struck pretty quickly and that we were in no danger. We continued a fantastic day in Glacier Bay NP.

Shortly after dropping the rangers, inspectors from coast guard boarded the ship as we sat still in the water. They were onboard for about 1 and a half hours and now we are continuing in.

The captain has done a great job keeping us informed of the situation. He advised the fire was due to a leaking oil pipe in the engine room. We have no indication that the itinerary will be altered in any way.

Ben

4e986c022bea85ca82b4d2ca1bd9614c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Glad everyone is ok and there was no serious damage (such that would render the ship un-sailable). Beautiful picture. We will be in Glacier Bay in 10 days. I hope we have such beautiful weather.

Glad all is well!

Agree, in any emergency situation being kept informed is what pax want.

Happy to hear everything turned out ok! Your photo shows why May is our favorite time to "do" Alaska!

About 5 minutes later, the general emergency alarm was sounded and all crew were called to their emergency stations. They remained for about 30 minutes before being released.

Were you called to muster stations? If not then it wouldn't have been the General Emergency alarm as that's the call to passengers to muster?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The best kind of "excitement" - that which actually causes you no delay and causes physical harm to nobody. Like posted above: If you have to get stuck somewhere for a little while it's a great spot. :) I would guess it was quite a surprise though and it's great that it turned out to not be anything serious. It gives you a great "cruise story" to tell your shore-bound friends back home.

Well if you have to get stuck somewhere dead in the water, what a beautiful backdrop.

Personally, If I had to be stuck somewhere dead in the water with a fire onboard, I'd rather be alongside the pier or at least in much warmer water...;p

Anyway, thanks for the info OP.

First a drug bust and now a fire. This is more like an adventure on the high sea in addition to a cruise.