LIVE From the Emerald - Vancouver-Seattle - 5/20/17

CanadianBurger

Hello again CCers, and welcome to another (too brief, unfortunately) of my photo LIVE Froms.

Today will be by first time aboard the Emerald as we set sail from a beautiful sunny day in Vancouver for a quick one-nighter to Seattle.

It's early, but I'm still on Eastern time, so I'm up and headed to the port shortly.

I started the trip off yesterday, flying Buffalo-San Francisco-Seattle, then renting a car for the drive up to Vancouver. Unlike the Ruby two weeks ago, this one was planned in advance, using United flight certificates to get those all-important Premier Qualifying Segments (I always volunteer whenever I can to give up my seat for cash...), National Car Rental free days, and Hilton Honors points for my stay at the Hampton Vancouver Airport. I booked an inside (IF) on Lido, but unfortunately no cabin upgrade. So all-in-all, a pretty inexpensive weekend getaway.

Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not real sure I could do a one day cruise as I think I would get arreasted because I will refuse to get off the ship. LOL< I would feel like someone played a joke on me. Have fun!

Well, the morning is not off to a great start. I put my bag in the trunk of the rental car, and milliseconds after closing it realized the keys were also in the trunk. So I'm now spinning my wheels waiting for roadside assistance to come unlock the car...

Hello again CCers, and welcome to another (too brief, unfortunately) of my photo LIVE Froms.

Today will be by first time aboard the Emerald as we set sail from a beautiful sunny day in Vancouver for a quick one-nighter to Seattle.

It's early, but I'm still on Eastern time, so I'm up and headed to the port shortly.

I started the trip off yesterday, flying Buffalo-San Francisco-Seattle, then renting a car for the drive up to Vancouver. Unlike the Ruby two weeks ago, this one was planned in advance, using United flight certificates to get those all-important Premier Qualifying Segments (I always volunteer whenever I can to give up my seat for cash...), National Car Rental free days, and Hilton Honors points for my stay at the Hampton Vancouver Airport. I booked an inside (IF) on Lido, but unfortunately no cabin upgrade. So all-in-all, a pretty inexpensive weekend getaway.

Stay tuned!

See you on board! We are heading down to the port in the next half hour. Fortunately, it's only a 7 minute walk from our front door!

I know those 1-nite cruises can become one big party (been there, done that) but we'll be boarding 2 weeks after you so don't damage the boat too much, especially the bar stock :D

Could someone please do us a favor and find out if the current machine at the forward end of the Lotus Spa pool is currently operational? We love swimming as a workout and those machines on Grand-class ships are what got us hooked on Princess. Lately though, we've noticed that numerous ships no longer keep the machines operational. Not a deal breaker for the upcoming cruise of course, but it'd be nice to know.

Thanks in advance.

So the procedure has changed from two weeks ago. You go upstairs first to a huge hall for all ships, and are handed a numbered card for boarding. There is no separation for preferred check-in yet. I'm group 18; they just called 16.

91b8b0cdc07ccc87a62fcf13db1e060d.jpg

Turned into a gong show after check in! Long lines post security for US CBP. Then ushered into a room and told to sit but there were no available seats. Staff yelling at people to stay in their seats but there were no seats! Then ushered into another room where we were separated by ship. Preferred boarding is for elite only. Lots of platinum very unhappy. Not boarding yet. Just waiting. I suspect a scrum once boarding begins.

After check in, it's outside, then down to security.

53c4745efc6c5a8c9bdb5764e30e711d.jpg

a09283247d518db4dccc01a1216768f8.jpg

NOTE: IF YOU HAVE NEXUS, YOU CAN BYPASS THE MASSIVE SECURITY LINE BY GOING LEFT AND FOLLOWING THE LITTLE NEXUS SIGN! You go right in to security at the side and show your card.

I haven't left home yet (live in Richmond,BC) and people are already waiting to board. On my cruise instruction sheet from PCL it stated that my boarding time was set for 13:30 / 1:30 pm. Do the boarding times really start this early ?

I haven't left home yet (live in Richmond,BC) and people are already waiting to board. On my cruise instruction sheet from PCL it stated that my boarding time was set for 13:30 / 1:30 pm. Do the boarding times really start this early ?

Yes, the boarding times are just a suggestion. Especially for a 1-day, you want to board as early as possible to maximize your time on board.

I think this is the latest I've ever been, due to my locking the keys in the car...

Just arrived at the terminal (the train from Seattle ran about an hour behind schedule) and got group #72. They just called group 45.

Still more organized than the last one-day cruise where we waited two hours in the security line and got off easy. I heard people waited as much as four hours for that one.

Edited by Vexorg