Is Holland sailing Panama in Fall of 2018?

I've been looking to book a fall of 2018 Panama Canal Cruise...end of October/early November. I don't see that they are sailing? Could it be they really aren't sailing the canal next fall? Thanks. I suppose I can call and ask them but figure somebody here may know. I've never sailed Holland America or the Panama Canal. I want to do a roundtrip - not a one way.

I've been looking to book a fall of 2018 Panama Canal Cruise...end of October/early November. I don't see that they are sailing? Could it be they really aren't sailing the canal next fall? Thanks. I suppose I can call and ask them but figure somebody here may know. I've never sailed Holland America or the Panama Canal. I want to do a roundtrip - not a one way.

I would guess the schedule hasn't been posted yet? They do have to relocate their ships from Alaska to the Caribbean so most likely they'll be at least two separate ships, one probably being the Eurodam since this is her 1st Alaska season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are six Panama Canal cruises for Oct/Nov 2017 and for 2018 it appears that the schedule for has not been published for canal cruises beyond May 2018 yet. I am sure they will sail there when you want to.

Currently HAL is rolling out the winter 2018/19 schedule, and apparently, Caribbean and Panama Canal, as well as West Coast USA/Mexico are still missing.

Australia/NZ and Asia/Far East have been rolles out recently.

Just be a little patient still... :)

When I look at the HAL booking engine and select "December 2018" they list schedules for only 4 of 15 ships. There are still a lot of cruises to be announced in the next few months.

Roy

My assumption is that Cuba has thrown a wrench into the 2018/2019 HAL cruise schedule. Typically HAL uses smaller ships for the PC full transit run and uses the Zuiderdam (Vista Class) for the 10-day taste of PC round trips to Florida (just goes in and then back out of the Gatun locks). With Cuba's current infrastructure the smaller S-class (R-Class as well?) ships are better suited for those Cuba port visits. (Also factor in that prices for Cuba will not need to be discounted much - so Cuba will be a higher-profit cruise for HAL).

In my opinion, they were most likely planning to sell off the last two S-Class (Veendam & Maasdam) prior to Nieuw Statendam hitting the fleet in December 2018. Now with Cuba opening up, my guess is the sale of the two S-Class are now on hold as they are optimal size for Cuba until the infrastructure in Cuba can be upgraded by Carnival Corp...so now they have to decide whether or not they are going to commit a larger ship to do full PC transits (R-Class or Vista).

Just my $0.02 and speculation...

My assumption is that Cuba has thrown a wrench into the 2018/2019 HAL cruise schedule. Typically HAL uses smaller ships for the PC full transit run and uses the Zuiderdam (Vista Class) for the 10-day taste of PC round trips to Florida (just goes in and then back out of the Gatun locks). With Cuba's current infrastructure the smaller S-class (R-Class as well?) ships are better suited for those Cuba port visits. (Also factor in that prices for Cuba will not need to be discounted much - so Cuba will be a higher-profit cruise for HAL).

In my opinion, they were most likely planning to sell off the last two S-Class (Veendam & Maasdam) prior to Nieuw Statendam hitting the fleet in December 2018. Now with Cuba opening up, my guess is the sale of the two S-Class are now on hold as they are optimal size for Cuba until the infrastructure in Cuba can be upgraded by Carnival Corp...so now they have to decide whether or not they are going to commit a larger ship to do full PC transits (R-Class or Vista).

Just my $0.02 and speculation...

Would agree with most of your analysis but HAL did full transits with their larger ships this year, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would agree with most of your analysis but HAL did full transits with their larger ships this year, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam?

You are correct, HAL does do PC "repositioning" cruises when moving ships to and from the Pacific for the summer Alaska season (HAL uses a lot of ships in Alaska during the summer that they don't need on the Pacific side during the winter). In addition some Grand and collectors cruises may have a PC segment. All the HAL fleet with the exception of the new Pinnacle class will fit through the older PC locks.

Besides those repositioning cruises they usually have had a dedicated ship do the 14-day full transit from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale (and reverse) the whole winter season. Repositioning cruises are only available in the spring and fall (usually April & September).

My assumption is that HAL would struggle to fill a Vista class to do the 14-day runs and that's why they have been using the S-class in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are correct, HAL does do PC "repositioning" cruises when moving ships to and from the Pacific for the summer Alaska season (HAL uses a lot of ships in Alaska during the summer that they don't need on the Pacific side during the winter). In addition some Grand and collectors cruises may have a PC segment. All the HAL fleet with the exception of the new Pinnacle class will fit through the older PC locks.

Besides those repositioning cruises they usually have had a dedicated ship do the 14-day full transit from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale (and reverse) the whole winter season. Repositioning cruises are only available in the spring and fall (usually April & September).

My assumption is that HAL would struggle to fill a Vista class to do the 14-day runs and that's why they have been using the S-class in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Westerdam (Vista class) is doing them this winter.