Taxi instead of an excursion?

Is it possible (or even advisable) to hire a taxi or private guide to take us to either Uxmal or Chichen Itza instead of the bus excursion? Have read reviews and not exactly thrilled about 2+ hours (each way) on a hot/crowded bus.

Thanks!

Uxmal is about 1hr 30 minutes away and accessible by 2-lane highway (no tolls).

Chichen Itza is about 1hr 45min-2 hours away. Note that the 4 lane highway to Chichen Itza is a TOLL road, so I would assume that the Taxi driver may also charge you for the tolls. I think about $15-$20 USD for tolls.

When paying for the taxi driver, consider that he is not only driving you 4 hours, but also waiting around for you at the site. I am not sure what the cost would be - but be generous with your tip.

There may be a language barrier if you do not know Spanish. Perhaps, google translate your instructions on paper and hand it over to the taxi driver so that he understands that you need him to drive you back to Progreso.

If you want a private tour to Uxmal, contact YucatanCenote .com Eco-Aventuras and ask for a Custom Uxmal tour. They use private cars for groups of 1-3 and private vans for larger groups.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm coming into this thread late as you've already found an alternative. I just wanted to say for anyone else that may be interested in the ruins that the bus ride isn't as bad as you might think. We were worried about it when we went to Uxmal a few years ago. The tour guide was very entertaining and actually made the 90 minute drive seem less than half that.