Cruise Critic Community
moriarty00

Ultimate Beverage promo, 3 adults in the same cabin

Hi, all. Planning to go on a Norwegian Getaway cruise next winter, and looking to possibly room with 2 friends (3 adults total). I'm wondering if choosing the Ultimate Beverage package as our Free At Sea promo might make sense. I don't drink, but my friends do. The promo only applies to the first 2 people in the room. So the question is, am I forced to purchase it also at full price, or can I opt out? I know that normally if you're buying the package, you have to buy it for everyone in the room, but does that apply to the Free At Sea version of the package too?

Hoping for answers from people who know for sure or have done this themselves, not just guesses, if possible. Thanks!

The first two people and NOT THE THIRD get the promo. The 3rd is not required to buy it. Just list yourself as the 3rd passenger.

Yes, that's correct. The requirement for everyone to have the package only applies if it being purchased.

We booked 3 adults in one room on the Getaway last year with the drinks promo. We simply booked our friend who might drink 3 glasses of wine the entire cruise as "passenger 3". No problem! Had a great cruise!

We booked 3 adults in one room on the Getaway last year with the drinks promo. We simply booked our friend who might drink 3 glasses of wine the entire cruise as "passenger 3". No problem! Had a great cruise!

With that situation in mind can the third person occasionally get a drink if one of the other persons in the room would get it for them and bring it to them. Will the bartender give the person getting the drinks two at one time. How strict are they on this policy. I am the third person and would like a few drinks once in awhile. Thank you.

With that situation in mind can the third person occasionally get a drink if one of the other persons in the room would get it for them and bring it to them. Will the bartender give the person getting the drinks two at one time. How strict are they on this policy. I am the third person and would like a few drinks once in awhile. Thank you.

You certainly can do it.

Whether you should or not is another discussion of course. It is against the T&Cs of the package, but I assume you are aware of that.

Honesty :confused:

They do allow you to get two drinks in one order with one card with the current UBP. So can you get away with it? probably. Is it dishonest? Yes. No, one person getting snuck a couple drinks over the course of one cruise doesn't affect NCL's bottom line but 1 in 3 passengers getting snuck a few drinks over thousands of sailings a year leads to the UBP costs going up for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a risk that NCL will revoke the UBP without refund if the rightful owner of the UBP is seen giving drinks to someone without the UBP.

People hate paying the 18% on the package but imagine paying the 18% without the drinks.

Actually, in Jan of this year, the T&Cs for UBP is back to 1 drink per transaction and this was done in part to combat theft

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

There is a risk that NCL will revoke the UBP without refund if the rightful owner of the UBP is seen giving drinks to someone without the UBP.

People hate paying the 18% on the package but imagine paying the 18% without the drinks.

My hubby and I got the UBP however my hubby does not drink at all...not even one beer. We paid gratuities for 2 people...........so in light of that, I may let my brother who is the cabin next to us and did not choose the UBP, have a glass of wine or 2 using my husband's comp. Brother does not drink much so it was not worth him getting the package.....but he does like a glass of wine with dinner. Since we paid for the gratuities I don't feel like we are cheating NCL.

We paid gratuities for 2 people...........so in light of that, I may let my brother who is the cabin next to us and did not choose the UBP, have a glass of wine or 2 using my husband's comp. Brother does not drink much so it was not worth him getting the package.....but he does like a glass of wine with dinner. Since we paid for the gratuities I don't feel like we are cheating NCL.
You would be violating the Terms & Conditions of the promo. No matter how you rationalize it, you would still be in violation.

To put it another way, if a Haven couple decides to go to the waterslides, would it be wrong to let the non-Haven brother hang out in the Haven courtyard? The Haven couple "paid" for 2 bodies to use the courtyard but they aren't allowed to let someone else use it while the couple is not in the courtyard. Even though you paid the 18% for 2 people to enjoy the UBP, you cannot/should not give drinks to someone who didn't pay for the promo.

You would be violating the Terms & Conditions of the promo. No matter how you rationalize it, you would still be in violation.

To put it another way, if a Haven couple decides to go to the waterslides, would it be wrong to let the non-Haven brother hang out in the Haven courtyard? The Haven couple "paid" for 2 bodies to use the courtyard but they aren't allowed to let someone else use it while the couple is not in the courtyard. Even though you paid the 18% for 2 people to enjoy the UBP, you cannot/should not give drinks to someone who didn't pay for the promo.

That is hardly the same thing. Both people in that couple are using the courtyard during their cruise and then sharing it with someone else....my husband is NOT using his UBP at all. That said, maybe I will just list my brother as the second person in our cabin and list my husband as the second person in my brother's cabin and then there will be NO violation going on. It's that simple.

That said, maybe I will just list my brother as the second person in our cabin and list my husband as the second person in my brother's cabin and then there will be NO violation going on. It's that simple.
That would be best. Each "drinker" will have their own card with UBP on it and their picture will show everytime the bartender swipes the card. There will be no problem and no drama. Once onboard, getting access to each other's stateroom will be easy to get done and everyone can sleep where they want to sleep.

My hubby and I got the UBP however my hubby does not drink at all...not even one beer. We paid gratuities for 2 people...........so in light of that, I may let my brother who is the cabin next to us and did not choose the UBP, have a glass of wine or 2 using my husband's comp. Brother does not drink much so it was not worth him getting the package.....but he does like a glass of wine with dinner. Since we paid for the gratuities I don't feel like we are cheating NCL.

As your brother is a second in the other cabin..... he most likely received a promo (paid DSC, wifi, SDP etc) so he would be double dipping into promos.

That is hardly the same thing. Both people in that couple are using the courtyard during their cruise and then sharing it with someone else....my husband is NOT using his UBP at all. That said, maybe I will just list my brother as the second person in our cabin and list my husband as the second person in my brother's cabin and then there will be NO violation going on. It's that simple.

That's what we did. I put me and a drinking relative in one cabin on paper so that we could both get UBP and my BF that doesn't drink was in the other cabin. Just got extra keys onboard. That way there's no issues for your brother and he can get drinks without you being there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, in Jan of this year, the T&Cs for UBP is back to 1 drink per transaction and this was done in part to combat theft

You are correct. Even while staying in the Haven, the bartender would only allow me one drink at a time. He winked at me and told me to come back in 15 minutes to get another. I felt a little uncomfortable because I like to follow the rules. I realized that I had the UDP so I took wink and went back. No harm no fowl.

Just off of the Gem with the UBP, one card, one drink, I was once allowed two (good tipper?), but he did ask that I bring both cards the next time (they only used one card, but needed to see two).

As your brother is a second in the other cabin..... he most likely received a promo (paid DSC, wifi, SDP etc)

Not if I change things and make him the second person in my cabin. That said, he chose the free 250-minute Wifi. Now let's say there were 3 adults in that cabin.....are we to believe that only 2 of them are allowed to surf the Internet and the 3rd adult can only sit and watch? LOL I mean are there "Wifi" police lurking around every corner to catch someone using it other than only 2 cabin passengers? LOL, This could get tricky! iI know there are rules to be followed and I have intentions of following them....but some things can be pretty petty.

Not if I change things and make him the second person in my cabin. That said, he chose the free 250-minute Wifi. Now let's say there were 3 adults in that cabin.....are we to believe that only 2 of them are allowed to surf the Internet and the 3rd adult can only sit and watch? LOL I mean are there "Wifi" police lurking around every corner to catch someone using it other than only 2 cabin passengers? LOL, This could get tricky! iI know there are rules to be followed and I have intentions of following them....but some things can be pretty petty.

Well, there is a finite amount of wifi, where with the beverage package, someone could drink hundreds of dollars worth of alcohol that they otherwise would've had to pay for.

The WiFi promo is per stateroom....

250 minutes per stateroom.

Internet package is per stateroom.

If passenger 1 or 2 uses all 250 minutes, passenger 3 would just sit and watch. The UBP is per person. Guests 1 and 2 drink while passenger 3 would just "sit and watch".

If someone wants to get around the rules, they will always find a way to do it. If the cruise line suspects too many getting around the rules, they will either raise the price of the package (thus folks will pay more for the 18% gratuity when they get it as a perk), raise the price of more drinks so they are outside the UBP or the will limit the number of drinks one can have per day with the UBP, like another line does.

If one is looking for a way to defend sharing, then I'd bet you are going to do it no matter what anyone says.

Edited by NLH Arizona

All of you should also realize that I travel solo and choose the UBP and Specialty dining as perks. I dont get a break because I am only one person. I dont get 6 nights of dining and I am only one person drinking against a 2 person perk. So it helps balance out the folks who might give a few drinks away to folks who dont have the package. Not that it is right; I am only making a point.

Well, there is a finite amount of wifi, where with the beverage package, someone could drink hundreds of dollars worth of alcohol that they otherwise would've had to pay for.
So it makes a huge difference in cost if the person who got the package does not use it at all and allows someone else to use it? Hmm!

The WiFi promo is per stateroom....

250 minutes per stateroom.

Internet package is per stateroom.

If passenger 1 or 2 uses all 250 minutes, passenger 3 would just sit and watch. The UBP is per person. Guests 1 and 2 drink while passenger 3 would just "sit and watch".

Well that's good to know.