Why you fly in a day or two early

Be careful especially with london heathrow connections....i had 2 1/2 hours but with slow moving lines and zealous security checks and gates far far apart i had to run to barely make a connection and was the last person on as the doors closed.

Wow. So sorry to hear of your trials, dfish. The most important part is that you are there, so I'm happy to hear that. I always book my own flights, but decided to request a quote from HAL for my upcoming. You can bet I was also scratching my head when I got the results. None of it made sense, including the price. Thanks for the warning to others. Enjoy your cruise and your new clothes!

That was a headscratcher for me, too. I did flights through HAL.

I've heard stories of odd routings before. The cruise line is interested in getting you there as cheaply as possible. So if they can get a deal for a longer, less convenient connection for less money, that's what they will choose.

I can't believe they lost your luggage on top of all the trouble you've already been through. I wonder if the lost luggage is related to the disconnect on the boarding passes. I hope they get it to you as promised.

So for today, focus on Amsterdam and look for relaxing things to do. Take a canal boat trip. Visit the tulip museum. (If you really need to de-stress, visit a "coffee shop")

Not everyone has the time to add extra days in the departure city. We're fortunate in that we can do that, and we always do. When we did a river cruise that started in Amsterdam, many of the passengers had arrived the morning of embarkation. By afternoon, they were nearly dead on their feet. Several people asked us why we weren't tired. The answer was, we'd taken care of that days ago.

How often does someone make trans-Atlantic trips? It seems that squeezing an extra day or so should not be that hard - to ensure timely arrival, to start a cruise rested rather than wrung out, and (perhaps more important) making the trip more than just about a cruise. From many of the posts on these threads I get the sense that many people focus so completely on the cruise part - and saving a few dollars and a vacation day or two - that they fail to take advantage of being on a different cotinentent.

How often does someone make trans-Atlantic trips? It seems that squeezing an extra day or so should not be that hard - to ensure timely arrival, to start a cruise rested rather than wrung out, and (perhaps more important) making the trip more than just about a cruise. From many of the posts on these threads I get the sense that many people focus so completely on the cruise part - and saving a few dollars and a vacation day or two - that they fail to take advantage of being on a different cotinentent.

I know people in their 30s with demanding jobs that just don't let them take a long vacation. They can afford a nice long trip, but can't get the time off to take it. Or they want to keep it all very simple--get on the cruise and let the cruise line take care of them. When you've been retired for a while, you forget what the rat-race was like. My BF's kids had to rebook to a shorter cruise for this fall because she changed jobs and was stuck with limited vacation for her first year. We all cruised together last year, and BF and I agreed that watching them de-stress on the cruise was a flashback to our working days.

Everyone's situation is different, and there may be a variety of personal reasons as to why someone cannot (or will not) spare extra days on either end of a cruise. Be that as it may, we always fly in at least a day ahead of time. We are lucky to be in a position to do so. Not everyone can.

Jet lag flying to London on a Red-eye leaves us pretty much worthless for the day we arrive. We normally take the train and then the tube into town and to our hotel for early check-in and a veryyy long nap - rising in time for a shower and a nice dinner nearby to the hotel.

Why did I let HAL arrange my flights? HAL had done our flights to Florida for the cruise we were supposed to take in January. They were direct, non-stop flights for less money than I could find them. That all depends on the market you are in. When we had to cancel due to my lack of coordination and a fractured hip, it took one phone call to cancel everything and the insurance covered the flights as well, I appreciated that at the time.

Three weeks later I booked this cruise. And I wanted easy peasy. And it was. I needed that at the time, The same thing could have happened with flights I booked myself. There are no direct flights from where I live and it can be a pain getting from point A to point B. And, every time there is a connection involved, you introduce the possibility of something like this happening.,

In fact, the last time this happened to me, it was traveling from Malaga, Spain to Dublin, Ireland. I wasn't sure we were ever getting our luggage back that time, especially after they told me they were sending it to my final destination, Kent, England. That was one I arranged myself.

Another update: bag has arrived at Schiphol and is being delivered shortly. All's well that ends well. So, not only will I be on a ship tomorrow, I will have clean clothes to wear and nice shoes for Gala night.

Another update: bag has arrived at Schiphol and is being delivered shortly. All's well that ends well. So, not only will I be on a ship tomorrow, I will have clean clothes to wear and nice shoes for Gala night.

YAY :). That is really good news.

Another good reason to arrive early - the hopes that the bags can catch up to you before you board.

I love a happy ending :)

Now, you can relax and enjoy your cruise :)

Take it from a retired airline ticket/gate agent, get there at least 1 day early.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people in tears because they missed their flight or it was delayed or even canceled causing them to miss their ship.

A typical day at the airport was never routine. Be it weather, mechanicals, crew or whatever.

We have over 40 cruises under our belts and always arrive at least 1 day early even if the port is within a day's drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Take it from a retired airline ticket/gate agent, get there at least 1 day early.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people in tears because they missed their flight or it was delayed or even canceled causing them to miss their ship.

A typical day at the airport was never routine. Be it weather, mechanicals, crew or whatever.

We have over 40 cruises under our belts and always arrive at least 1 day early even if the port is within a day's drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our first cruise was to Alaska from Vancouver. The guy at passport control asked me what time my ship left when I arrived there breathless, I told him the next day because I didn't trust the airlines to get me there in time, He said that was a very smart thing to do. He said they always had people coming through in tears because their flights were delayed and they were late and afraid they were going to miss the ship.

Unless I live less than 2 hours away from teh departure port, I always stay the night before. Of course this means I am driving. Later this year we will be staying 2 nights prior in San Diego before our Hawaiian cruise. It will also help with the 3-hour time difference from East coast and West coast.

Unless I live less than 2 hours away from teh departure port, I always stay the night before. Of course this means I am driving. Later this year we will be staying 2 nights prior in San Diego before our Hawaiian cruise. It will also help with the 3-hour time difference from East coast and West coast.

That's what we did on our February Hawaii cruise. Make sure you go up to Little Italy - India Street for dinner - great, inexpensive restaurants in a fun area.

It depends on when and where the ship leaves' date=' .[emoji3']

We line in NE and many of our cruises have been out of port Everglades. And, many times, flights have been cancelled due to weather. So we've made it a policy to book our flights 3 days pre cruise...just in case we have to get in the car and drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on when and where the ship leaves' date=' .��[/quote']

Not always true. We live on the west coast of Florida. When we cruise out of Port Everglades, (Fort Lauderdale), we usually rent a car, drive to the port, and drop off the car. Much cheaper than the parking fee for a long cruise. Multiple times, we have been delayed on the 75 freeway or even US 41 trying to cross the state and had to turn back. It's only a 3 hour drive, but when there's brush fires or serious accidents that close those roads, there is no easy way to go. So, even if we are driving to the port, we leave a day early. A night in a FLL hotel is hundreds of $$$ cheaper than a one-way flight for 2 people to St. Thomas or some other island. You are spending thousands on your cruise, so take an extra day vacation and spend $100 in a hotel for the night.