CC Help Jenn

Community Contest: School's Out for Summer!

Remember when we were kids - most of us had a good chunk of time for summer break. I could remember counting down the days starting from Spring Break on.

What was your favorite part about the lazy days of summer as a kid?

I loved being outside literally all day long. Even lunch and dinner were outside most of the time. A whole neighborhood of kids playing any games we could think of, going to the pool, playing at the park. I loved the freedom of no schedules and days full of social interaction.

How about you?

Post your response as a reply for a chance to win this week's prizes. A few winners will be selected randomly from all who participate. While all are welcome to participate, At this time we can only ship within the US. I can offer a coupon to our store for those who reside outside of the US. Thanks for understanding.

My favorite summer activity was bike riding with friends to bottle-hunt. The deposit on soda bottles was fun spending money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, definitely being outside from early morning until the street lights came on. Playing hide and seek, riding bikes, imaginations running wild as we would "hike" the creek all the way to the lake (a whole three blocks or so), walking to the corner store that sold penny and nickel candy, having popsicles and all the fresh summer fruit (some with pits convenient to spitting contests lol). Our family had a pool so our yard was always a place of activity, and eating outside every chance possible was just how everybody did it. If we were lucky enough to have company from overseas that summer, we'd have a trip to the dairy bar for ice cream sundaes or banana splits (this was not a regular activity by any stretch, it was just too pricey). Oh, and I used to love those hot sticky nights where my mom would let us run out and get wet in the pool in the middle of the night, or let us "camp out" in front of the open patio door. You know, when sleeping on the floor was an adventure, not a hardship, lol....

As I sit here at my desk, looking out the window at the beautiful day, I so miss those summers.

I would spend my summers with my grandparents at a Boy Scout camp in upstate NY....lazy days of fishing, boating, swimming, hiking, etc. Lots of great memories from those summers.

I grew up in foster care in Washington state. The weather was always hit or miss for summer. But I do remember camping, fishing and just running around like a crazy person. After all the long days being cooped up in a class room or at home with all the rain. Just being outside and able to have an adventure was worth the whole 9 months of inside!

I loved spending time at my lakehouse with good friends and family. Every year, my neighbor would invite us over to watch the 4th Of July fireworks that he set off for the whole community in his backyard! The views were gorgeous!

I also counted down the days. We were ALWAYS outside, even after my family got Atari. We rode bikes; pick-up games of baseball; fishing in the creek or the pond; played hide and seek and kick the can at night; swam; played in the creek behind our house; played in the woods; I played little league softball and it was baseball for my brothers; had the sleep overs with neighborhood kids where we'd actually sleep out on decks/in camping trailers outside...sometimes sneaking off for some "mischief" (soaping, toilet papering...nothing destructive though cause it could easily be narrowed down to "who did it"). There were also those times sitting around with neighborhood kids and we had nothing to do. We'd say "what do you wanna do" and they'd respond "I don't know. What do you wanna do?". We'd finally come up with something.

I loved the mornings. It was wonderful to not feel rushed. I enjoyed participating in the activities of the summer recreation program, and then heading back home to watch old black and white movies. After a quick lunch, I was ready to spend the remainder of the afternoon at the public pool. If a good movie was showing, my family might head out to the drive-in movie for the evening.

Spending quality time at my Grandfather's side and doing whatever he was doing.

Running around with bare feet, getting dirty and simply being a kid in the Australian sun.

Wonderful memories of a simpler time.

My fondest memories of summer were smelling the morning and evening summer fresh air from my bedroom open window ( no air conditioners in my day ). Packing picnic lunches and gong on Sunday rides into the mountains with my family and swimming in the mountain streams. Walking in rain puddings after a summer rain. Catching lightening bugs....I could write a book.

My favorite memories were spending the whole day at the pool! I had swim team practice at 7am every morning then I'd ride my bike home, go back to sleep for a couple of hours, eat a quick lunch and ride my bike back to the pool till closing time. I was like a fish. I couldn't get enough of the water.

Swimming and more swimming! Luckily I'm a teacher so I get to spend my summers off with my kids making memories!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My favorite part of summer was going to our local swimming pool with my friends. We all had passess to the pool (I had to work for mine...use my allowance to purchase the pass), and we were there every day. One of my best childhood memories!

Weekend trips to the beach! My Dad would round up my brother and me and our cousins and friends and take us all to the beach for the whole day. We were all skinny then, and a lot of kids could fit into the land-yacht sedans that he drove back in the days of cheap gas and optional seat-belts. (We all survived, including Dad, who is 83 and still going strong.)

My favorite time is when school was out & my friend I would go in the ally behind the AIRLANE LIQUOR store in CHICAGO, one of us would climb the back fence & toos over the fence 3 or quart soda bottles then bring them around the front of the store & get the deposit ( 5 cents a bottle ) Now for the IRONY of the story, I married the owner of the liquor stores daughter. No I never told my father-inlaw about our escapades

PS we will be married 60yrs on JUNE 30th

george35

Remember when we were kids - most of us had a good chunk of time for summer break. I could remember counting down the days starting from Spring Break on.

I loved being outside literally all day long. Even lunch and dinner were outside most of the time. A whole neighborhood of kids playing any games we could think of, going to the pool, playing at the park. I loved the freedom of no schedules and days full of social interaction.

How about you?

Post your response as a reply for a chance to win this week's prizes. A few winners will be selected randomly from all who participate. While all are welcome to participate, At this time we can only ship within the US. I can offer a coupon to our store for those who reside outside of the US. Thanks for understanding.

A chance to spend some time down at the Jersey shore and the beach and collect sea shells to add to my collection.:D

MARAPRINCE

Just being outside all day with my friends. At night all the neighbors would sit on their stoops and watch the kids play. It was always like one big block party.

Some of my fondest memories of my childhood summers were playing in the neighborhood with my friends. We lived in a "neighborhood" consisting of 13 houses...everyone knew everyone. There were 6 girls- 3 my age, 3 my sisters - I imagine there were boys too, but we didn't really play with them :) One summer we put on a "circus" in the back yard and charged everyone 25 cents for admission - everyone in the neighborhood came. It was quite a grand event! So much fun!

Cathy

I grew up in NYC! Midtown Manhattan to be exact. My fondest memory was playing in the fire hydrants and hanging out with friends until the street light came on!

I loved traveling about 3 hours to stay a week at my Aunt and Uncle's house on Lake George in Midway, GA with all my cousins. We went crabbing, boating, fishing, picked vegetables from the garden - which became awesome meals, and learned to drive on the dirt roads! What great memories as my cousins were my first best friends!

I grew up on the North Shore of Massachusetts, two streets away from the ocean. My favorite activity was riding my bike along Lynn Shore Drive, and swimming at the beach with my friends. We'd all go out for ice cream on warm summer nights.

Staying in the house watching TV all day was not done.

We played baseball throughout the day and we were flipping cards on the corner when not playing. I lived in a neighborhood of row homes and there were so many kids--always someone to pal around with. AND do you remember the mosquito man. We ran in the fog (DDT) behind the truck and loved it. We were well greased with the poison --AND we were having a ball. For the good times:D

Now mind you this is 40 years ago, but we truly enjoyed "each other" back then. Meaning we actually interacted. Instead of computers, hand held games and cell phones we played flashlight tag, hide and go seek, kick the can/ball, bicycle races or just plain took walks. Those were the truly the days of a great childhood. :hearteyes:

Going to grandma and grandpa's house and riding on their tractors, playing in the corn bins, running through the corn mazes, and grandma's cooking! Also getting in trouble was fun and running away from them.

I remember playing outside with my neighborhood friends all day!

We were literally outside from sun up until sun down. I loved family picnics at the local park and making the kinds of memories that a lot of kids (living in this time) may never know.

Sometimes thinking about work, bills, kids and other issues makes me think back to those times when I had no cares in the world. Love & miss the good ol' days!

I loved going to our little community beach or swimming in someone's pool, riding my bike around the neighborhood, playing softball, tag, kick the can, hopscotch, etc., down the street from my house and catching killie fish in the creek. All of the kids were outside all day for the summer. We only returned home when someone rang the dinner bell. We were rarely inside; probably only on the rainy days.

During the summer, all we did was play outside until it was dark. We'd go to the community pool, ride bikes, wait for the ice cream man, slide down hills on cardboard boxes, make secret flower potions...you name it. The rule was no TV unless it was the weekend. Fine by me! Funny thing, until I just typed it I never realized that I had some great times growing up in southern California in the 70's and 80's. :)

Edited by momincolorado
clarification

I rode my bike a lot during the summer. I went on bike trips to other towns near by. Something you could never do these days.

Lots of memories....swimming for badges, reading books at public library for stickers, stickball contests at neighborhood pool, riding bicycle in parade, City wide festival and fireworks called Austin Aqua Festival, time spent at grandparents's, tennis lessons....

Family trips were always fun. Living in SC, we visited Myrtle Beach or the Smoky Mountains. We did all the touristy things and loved every minute of it!

My favorite part of my early-age summer was the simplicity. We didn't have much in the country, so we made a lot from alittle. My brother, sister, and I would spend the summer with our grandmother, eating oatmeal in the mornings and watching "The Price is Right." (loved Plinko!) Afterwards, we'd go outside to play with the cats (about 30 outdoor cats), run through the clothing on the clothing line, and prepare mudpies. We'd go inside for a simple lunch and cool off from the Louisiana heat-- many times catching naps or "nodding off" on a couch. Energized, we'd go back outside to check on our mudpies and play in the old well, which we were NOT supposed to do. We'd play tag or hide-and-go-seek and hope that we didn't run into a snake. As the sun set, we'd prepare for the ice cream truck man and have to wait to eat our treats after dinner. Just a simple country life . . .

Living on the coast of California, most summer days included lazing around the beach soaking up the sun or body surfing (boogie boards hadn't been invented yet). If we had the bad luck of running into our swim coach who filled in as a lifeguard at the beach, he'd make us swim around the pier. Good memories!!

I loved spending time with my grandmother, who I also considered my best friend. We would bake and play card games. She would teach me how to sew and tend to the garden. On the weekends, I would do the typical kid stuff at home by bike riding, swimming and basking in the sun.

How about you?

I grew up in New York City . My summers were days at either a beach or a pool.On the days i did not do that I would be playing Handball in a city park.

Lenny