Private Cuba tours

Miker1112

We just returned from a cruise last week to Havana on NCL and booked a private tour with Havana tours with Blexie.Thais was our guide and she as wonderful, spoke fluent english and was very knowledgeable. This was a part walking tour and part tour in a classic car with lunch at a paladar (excellent btw). I would highly recommend Thais and Havana Tours with Blexie. I'm a Floridian and see many questions/comments from people want to experience Cuba in a classic convertible. That is fine if that is what you really want, but we went to Cuba in August (90 degees and fortunately sunny skies- no hurricanes) and I would take an air conditioned hard top over a convertible any day. I didn't feel that we missed any experience (aside from sunburn) from not being in a convertible. Just wanted to provide this perspective.

Thank you all for your great input about private touring in Cuba. We are sailing on the Azamara Quest March 19th sailing and have begun our tour option research. The Quest is arriving at 6pm, so we are most interested in seeing Havana after dark. Azamara is currently just offering visits to show options which do not interest us at all. When we contacted one highly rated Havana Tour Operator they sent back this message:

Attention Cruise Ship Passengers. We have had reports that it can take a number of hours to clear customs on arrival in Cuba and disembark the ship. You should take this into consideration when booking a tour with us. Please note in the past cruise ships have been late to dock in Havana so a number of people have missed tours that depart in the morning. We recommend starting the tour at least 2 hours after your ship is scheduled to dock in Havana.

We are now considering hiring a vintage car to drive us around Havana in the evening to get our bearings and to see the sights on the Malcon. We are also considering hiring a private guide for the full day in Havana to do the walking tour as well as the highlights. Does this sound reasonable? Our next Cuba stop is Santiago de Cuba where we are also exploring private tour options. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

We just finished up a cruise to Havana on the Carnival Paradise, and found the procedures for getting of the ship to be pretty straightforward. If your ship has a similar situation as ours, you should be fine with an evening tour followed by a day tour. Our ship pulled into Havana at about 6:30 am, and they started letting passengers off on schedule at 8 am. We were let off about 8:15 after we showed evidence of a private tour we booked, and it only took another 10-15 minutes to go through passport control, leaving us plenty of time before our 10 am tour. Getting back on the ship was also straightforward, with only a few minutes to go through security and passport control. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 weeks later...

What was your itinerary? Ours will be Cuba from 11:30am Thursday to 5pm Friday next year. I'm having an issue with excursions, because I don't care for the ones that are not sold out by Carnival, and the ones I'm finding interesting by local tour companies starting too early (like 9am) the day we arrive.

We just finished up a cruise to Havana on the Carnival Paradise, and found the procedures for getting of the ship to be pretty straightforward. If your ship has a similar situation as ours, you should be fine with an evening tour followed by a day tour. Our ship pulled into Havana at about 6:30 am, and they started letting passengers off on schedule at 8 am. We were let off about 8:15 after we showed evidence of a private tour we booked, and it only took another 10-15 minutes to go through passport control, leaving us plenty of time before our 10 am tour. Getting back on the ship was also straightforward, with only a few minutes to go through security and passport control. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

So from reading many of your post as of now private tours are ok with the Person to Person form. We are not sailing until April 2018 on NCL Sky but we booked in April 2017 so we will have to wait and see what the New Trump policies will be correct if we want to do a private tour if I'm understand correctly. Thanks

• 1 month later...

We just got back from Havana on the Norwegian Sky. We had a great. 6 hour tours in classic convertibles with Lino Blanco and Alain Santana.

They did a great job - professionable, personable, excellent english skills.

Lino can be reached at Lino.blanco1983@nauta.cu.

If you need multiple cars Lino can hook you up with Alain or Felix Martinez. They are a lot of fun and will make sure you have a great time in Havana.

Edited by sharke

We just got back from Havana on the Norwegian Sky. We had a great. 6 hour tours in classic convertibles with Lino Blanco and Alain Santana.

They did a great job - professionable, personable, excellent english skills.

Lino can be reached at Lino.blanco1983@nauta.cu.

If you need multiple cars Lino can hook you up with Alain or Felix Martinez. They are a lot of fun and will make sure you have a great time in Havana.

Which date did you visit Havana? As of November 8 rules changed.

Thank you all for your great input about private touring in Cuba. We are sailing on the Azamara Quest March 19th sailing and have begun our tour option research. The Quest is arriving at 6pm, so we are most interested in seeing Havana after dark. Azamara is currently just offering visits to show options which do not interest us at all. When we contacted one highly rated Havana Tour Operator they sent back this message:

Attention Cruise Ship Passengers. We have had reports that it can take a number of hours to clear customs on arrival in Cuba and disembark the ship. You should take this into consideration when booking a tour with us. Please note in the past cruise ships have been late to dock in Havana so a number of people have missed tours that depart in the morning. We recommend starting the tour at least 2 hours after your ship is scheduled to dock in Havana.

We are now considering hiring a vintage car to drive us around Havana in the evening to get our bearings and to see the sights on the Malcon. We are also considering hiring a private guide for the full day in Havana to do the walking tour as well as the highlights. Does this sound reasonable? Our next Cuba stop is Santiago de Cuba where we are also exploring private tour options. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Can you share who was the highly rated Havana Tour Operator??

Blexie havana tours was absolutely amazing. How’s down the best tour guide operation I’ve ever used. From reading past reviews and price shopping what was made me choose him. He was already booked so George was our tour guide. Amazing! Part walking tour, part driving tour. In a 55’ Bel-air. Customized the tour on what we wanted to see (I wanted ice cream at La Coppelia). Helped me a ton buying cigars. Took me to three difference cigar shops till we found the ones I was looking for. Cannot say enough great things about him. You can find him on Facebook. Website, or email him. blexie100588@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a great experience using Havanacar Cuba! We only had one full day in Cuba and wanted to go horseback riding in Vinales so we had Havanacar Cuba drive us from Havana and back the same day (3 hour ride each way). We had such an awesome day! Our driver, Alain was so nice and knowledgable. He made a couple of stops at very beautiful places (like a gorgeous viewpoint by Vinales Valley, a mural, and some caves). The car was lovely and had very good AC (which you really need in Cuba!).

Before I booked the trip I communicated by email with Stefano who was also awesome and very professional - he responded to my emails quickly. I highly recommend this company - they are GREAT!!!!

Blexie havana tours was absolutely amazing. How’s down the best tour guide operation I’ve ever used. From reading past reviews and price shopping what was made me choose him. He was already booked so George was our tour guide. Amazing! Part walking tour, part driving tour. In a 55’ Bel-air. Customized the tour on what we wanted to see (I wanted ice cream at La Coppelia). Helped me a ton buying cigars. Took me to three difference cigar shops till we found the ones I was looking for. Cannot say enough great things about him. You can find him on Facebook. Website, or email him. blexie100588@gmail.com

I agree on Blexie Tours. Great experience and price.

We were let off about 8:15 after we showed evidence of a private tour we booked, and it only took another 10-15 minutes to go through passport control

We have a ship tour at 8pm but our ship docks at 2pm. We'd like to get off the ship asap and walk around Havana before getting back to the ship for our tour. Will we not be let off the ship after docking if we want to walk around to shop or see the area? Are we only allowed off the ship for actual tours?

We have a ship tour at 8pm but our ship docks at 2pm. We'd like to get off the ship asap and walk around Havana before getting back to the ship for our tour. Will we not be let off the ship after docking if we want to walk around to shop or see the area? Are we only allowed off the ship for actual tours?

We were able to get off the ship ASAP.

Does it matter when you booked cruise? We just booked and zi am worried will be subject to new restrictions while others on my roll call who booked earlier will not. A mess to administer.

Stefano from Havanacar was very reassuring but waiting to hear from Oceania...

I don´t think it doesn´t rally matter when you booked the cruise. The new restrictios are intended to support the Cuban people by keeping american tourist from using companied owned by the military. In my opinion the best way to support the Cuban people is to book with the private tour companies. Why? Because you would be hiring a local who would take you mostly to privately owned restauratns and the transportation will be definetely private. Ironically, when you book through the cruise only government companies will be used like the bus companies and restaurants.

Please check the top tours in Havana to book your private tours https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147271-Activities-c42-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html

Its not only the best way to support th Cuban people but also the best way to see and enjoy Havana.

Well, right now there are quite a few cruisers booking with the private companies, some do it overnight. They have been doing it even after the new restrictions were approved, just ask the private company to sedn you the receipt just in case. I personally know people who have done it and they haven´t had a single issue back home.

Check out this post, excellent point of view!

Based on your post, Carnival is doing it correctly, putting the responsibility on the guest. As it should be.

RCCL, on the other hand , has sent out a sneakily written, scare tactic letter that states (I'm paraphrasing) that you must go on an approved tour that meets the new rule (we know that, we can read the Treasury Dept .memo), but then states that all their tours do meet the new rule.

It goes on to encourage booking one of their tours.

Nowhere does it say you must go on one of their approved tours. This is the part people are not getting. When you research private tours in Cuba, many already state that they meet the group requirements for people to people.

I was there in June, just after the first mandate. Yes, we filled out the form to leave at the departure port, but nobody cared where we went when we got off the ship in Havana.

My next trip is in Dec 2018, but was booked before the first mandate in June, so I am exempt from any of these recent changes.

That's another thing, are they going to research several thousand bookings per sailing to find out when each guest booked - pre or post Marco Rubio inspired changes?

"OK, you can get off the ship - ooops, sorry, but the person behind you in line can't."

I don't see it happening.

We had a fabulous experience with George, who works with Tours by Blexie. Blexie had given us a suggested itinerary which we customized and George did a great job making sure we saw it all. He was a real pleasure to spend the day with. He speaks fabulous English, is well versed in history and all of the sites in Havana and made us feel totally at ease asking questions about life in Cuba. And these are Cuban citizens, not affiliated with the government, perfectly in line with Supporting the Cuban People. I can't recommend them highly enough!

blexie100588@gmail.com

We had a fabulous experience with George, who works with Tours by Blexie. Blexie had given us a suggested itinerary which we customized and George did a great job making sure we saw it all. He was a real pleasure to spend the day with. He speaks fabulous English, is well versed in history and all of the sites in Havana and made us feel totally at ease asking questions about life in Cuba. And these are Cuban citizens, not affiliated with the government, perfectly in line with Supporting the Cuban People. I can't recommend them highly enough!

blexie100588@gmail.com

We also had a great experience with Blexie Tours and had Raul as our tour guide.