Dog on ship

I work in a hospital. I've seen people walk in with their "dogs", clearly marked service, which is acceptable. I've also seen people walk in with unmarked dogs (? comfort). That is unacceptable to me as one of these "comfort" dogs (which was a puppy), sat down and scratched itself behind the ears like it had fleas. Just what we need in a hospital or anywhere for that matter! And how about those other patient's who might just be allergic to dogs? Would you want them sitting among you while you're waiting to be seen? :confused:

The ADA does not require a vest. As for allergies, the person with the allergy can request an accommodation and be moved away from the service animal.

Just because a dog is dressed up or in its buggie doesnt mean it isnt serving its purpose. Its easy to judge without knowing the facts. I've seen people roll around their service dog in public venues for the sole purpose of preventing accidents or just agitating other people. I"m sure the people with service dogs are already uneasy about having the dogs on the ship, so why make them more uncomfortable?

As long as the dog is not bothering you, I see no reason for the hate

Just because a dog is dressed up or in its buggie doesnt mean it isnt serving its purpose. Its easy to judge without knowing the facts. I've seen people roll around their service dog in public venues for the sole purpose of preventing accidents or just agitating other people. I"m sure the people with service dogs are already uneasy about having the dogs on the ship, so why make them more uncomfortable?

It's not hate. I just don't wish to have an animal in the eating area.hygeine and all

We have seen 1 guide dog in 45 cruises so reading the posts we have been fortunate as all the different dogs seem to be on different ships than us.

I live in a city that is dog friendly, perhaps this is why it doenst bother me as much when I actually see support/ service dogs in buggies. Its actually more hygienic than having them walk around and peeing between the aisles in the clothing shop

I think that legitimate service dog owners would want to give others assurance that their dog is legitimate. Insisting on dressing them up and putting them in a stroller gives the appearance of impropriety.

I think that legitimate service dog owners would want to give others assurance that their dog is legitimate. Insisting on dressing them up and putting them in a stroller gives the appearance of impropriety.

Right now the ADA and other privacy laws prevent companies from asking too many questions, but I could see those who use service dogs actually being the ones who push for change like requiring a vest or a special government issued (or overseeing body) license that proves the dog has been properly trained. Not all disabilities are visible and there are legitimate medical uses beyond guide dogs. We saw a dog on a cruise that was used to alert for low blood sugar. Cute little dog but she sat by her owner, followed her owner, and her owner made sure people knew not to pet her.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Dogs should only be allowed for the blind.

Ummmm....no. Service dogs are for handicapped and/or disabled as well. Many are trained to detect seizures and can even smell if a diabetic is about to experience an episode. As already mentioned, those for PTSD can give people their lives back. I've seen several service dogs on cruises - the legit ones have their vests. The dog knows it is working when it wears it's vest. When the vest is off, it gets to be a dog! The ones I've seen on cruises were amazing and I'm glad to see them.

As for the silly selfish little ladies and gents who just want Poopsie on their cruise, that's a different story. I too wish Royal could stop it. I can't wrap my head around the selfishness of those people. The costumes and feeding them at the table are always a dead giveaway. We saw a woman in Harrah's New Orleans last month with her fluffy white dog on her lap while she played 3 card poker. Apparently she's a regular there.

I love my 3 dogs but they don't belong on a cruise ship and would probably be unhappy there anyway.

I live in a city that is dog friendly, perhaps this is why it doenst bother me as much when I actually see support/ service dogs in buggies. Its actually more hygienic than having them walk around and peeing between the aisles in the clothing shop

That is the point people are making about a well trained service dog. They are trained not to eat from the table, not to pee in the aisle of the clothing store and not bark at people that approach.

These fake service dogs are pets.

This is ridiculous.
Our society has far worse problems to work through before we waste time debating the relative merits of trading off the convenience of some against the support needed by others.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

why do you people care? If the dog's not barking or crapping how does it impact your life?

Would never take my pets but if your dog (or kid) doesn't interfere with my cruise take as many as you like.

Never seen a dog: hog a chair, cut in line, brag about their status or reduce their gratuities before so they're ok with me.

Ummmm....no. Service dogs are for handicapped and/or disabled as well. Many are trained to detect seizures and can even smell if a diabetic is about to experience an episode. As already mentioned, those for PTSD can give people their lives back. I've seen several service dogs on cruises - the legit ones have their vests. The dog knows it is working when it wears it's vest. When the vest is off, it gets to be a dog! The ones I've seen on cruises were amazing and I'm glad to see them.

As for the silly selfish little ladies and gents who just want Poopsie on their cruise, that's a different story. I too wish Royal could stop it. I can't wrap my head around the selfishness of those people. The costumes and feeding them at the table are always a dead giveaway. We saw a woman in Harrah's New Orleans last month with her fluffy white dog on her lap while she played 3 card poker. Apparently she's a regular there.

I love my 3 dogs but they don't belong on a cruise ship and would probably be unhappy there anyway.

These people are selfish,you leave your dogs at home and are being responsible so why should other people bring theirs unless it is for genuine purposes.

My late mam was diebetic and knew when her sugar was low and my niece is epileptic and takes tablets but she knew the warning signs and neither needed dogs.

why do you people care? If the dog's not barking or crapping how does it impact your life?

Would never take my pets but if your dog (or kid) doesn't interfere with my cruise take as many as you like.

Never seen a dog: hog a chair, cut in line, brag about their status or reduce their gratuities before so they're ok with me.

It is not hygenic and lots of people are allergic to dogs.

Lots of people pretend to be allergic to dogs. I was visiting my friend's condo one time and I already was in the elevator holding my dog in my arms, when a lady got on after me and told me she was allergic to dogs, and asked if I could get off and go on the next one. That was rude. Its not my business shes allergic to dogs, so I just looked at her straight in the face and didnt budge. She got in and sure enough I didnt see her allergy symptoms at all for the 22 floors until she got off.

People who claim dogs are unhygienic, you're not eating off the dog's plate, nor are you sharing the same table. So why does it matter to you? I dont know why its anyone's business why someone has a service dog with them. You may not see their reasons for needing one, but they might even have a legit reason. I'm pretty sure enough people make it uncomfortable for people to have a service dog, so if they go through the lengths of taking one with them on a trip, so be it.

These people are selfish,you leave your dogs at home and are being responsible so why should other people bring theirs unless it is for genuine purposes.

We'll have to respectfully disagree on our definition of genuine purposes. I think a service dog for someone with seizures or diabetes or a host of medical reasons is legit. I'm glad your relatives were able to rely on traditional medicines. Some people need more assistance.

I'm a dog lover. I love seeing dogs in appropriate places and to me, a real service dog should be welcome everywhere. As so many of us have said, the overly entitled that insist on traveling with their lap dogs, are an entirely different story.

We'll have to respectfully disagree on our definition of genuine purposes. I think a service dog for someone with seizures or diabetes or a host of medical reasons is legit. I'm glad your relatives were able to rely on traditional medicines. Some people need more assistance.

I'm a dog lover. I love seeing dogs in appropriate places and to me, a real service dog should be welcome everywhere. As so many of us have said, the overly entitled that insist on traveling with their lap dogs, are an entirely different story.

Fair enough.

Lots of people pretend to be allergic to dogs. I was visiting my friend's condo one time and I already was in the elevator holding my dog in my arms, when a lady got on after me and told me she was allergic to dogs, and asked if I could get off and go on the next one. That was rude. Its not my business shes allergic to dogs, so I just looked at her straight in the face and didnt budge. She got in and sure enough I didnt see her allergy symptoms at all for the 22 floors until she got off.

People who claim dogs are unhygienic, you're not eating off the dog's plate, nor are you sharing the same table. So why does it matter to you? I dont know why its anyone's business why someone has a service dog with them. You may not see their reasons for needing one, but they might even have a legit reason. I'm pretty sure enough people make it uncomfortable for people to have a service dog, so if they go through the lengths of taking one with them on a trip, so be it.

Nobody should complain about a genuine service dog but as previous posters have said a lot of people bring dogs which are not for any legitimate health purpose.

As to your post,if the other person felt like that they should have got out of the lift because you were already in.

Nobody should complain about a genuine service dog but as previous posters have said a lot of people bring dogs which are not for any legitimate health purpose.

As to your post,if the other person felt like that they should have got out of the lift because you were already in.

However we dont know for a fact if people are abusing the system or not. We dont know if their reasons are legitimate or not. Everyone's making assumptions just because the dog is dressed up or in a buggie its not a legitimate service/ support dog

However we dont know for a fact if people are abusing the system or not. We dont know if their reasons are legitimate or not. Everyone's making assumptions just because the dog is dressed up or in a buggie its not a legitimate service/ support dog

Do we need a thread on dress codes for dogs in the MDR? [emoji6]

What about formal night? [emoji33]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

This is not a service dog. You will never see her onboard.

c480de1331a71e454541804197db9ae6.jpg

She is however very well behaved in the elevator. [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Does your condo association allow dogs in the elevator? The building my Mom lives in prohibits pets in the elevator. People are supposed to take the stairs with their pets.