Royal testing to bring back same drink package for all

I presume you were sailing in Europe ? They are less likely to offer you a receipt to sign in Europe, as the ratio of 'additional tips' given is far lower

That's because they add 20% VAT and 18% gratuity to every drink or drink package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly , it's those who have cheated the system that will probably end up ruining it for everyone else. Our last two cruises we both got the deluxe package. It was nice to know that both of us did not have to purchase . I did consider not getting it for myself last cruse. But I've had numerous people tell me they bought one package and got drinks for the other person. One person even told me the bartender just "hooked them up all week". I can understand if RCCL is losing money this way why they would want to change it back.

I wonder what happens now since I purchased and paid for one deluxe drink package with voom. I checked my planner. I see the purchase. There is no message for me. Wondering if I will be notified before I get on the ship. Or will they tell me when I board that I have to purchase one since he purchased one. Or will the people who already purchased be exempt?

You will have a mysterious computer glitch that will somehow cancel your drink package. When you realize it and call to re-book, they will say that package is no longer available...

Hopefully, like they did when the combined the drink packages, those that had already purchased the premium package got upgraded to the deluxe at no cost. Since you already bought only one, they won't make you buy the 2nd one.

You know, there are always a lot of posts regarding the price of drinks going up etc. Which may indeed be correct to some degree. But w/ packages, and even discounts on packages, plus BOGO50 sales on the packages, alcohol pricing has actually not increased as much as we think.

There have been many posts accusing RCL of forcing people to buy packages, now I'm reading we are being forced to buy two packages... meh. You're either going to drink or you're not.

I wonder what happens now since I purchased and paid for one deluxe drink package with voom. I checked my planner. I see the purchase. There is no message for me. Wondering if I will be notified before I get on the ship. Or will they tell me when I board that I have to purchase one since he purchased one. Or will the people who already purchased be exempt?

I'd guess they'd leave you alone because you purchased before implementation of the policy.

You know, there are always a lot of posts regarding the price of drinks going up etc. Which may indeed be correct to some degree. But w/ packages, and even discounts on packages, plus BOGO50 sales on the packages, alcohol pricing has actually not increased as much as we think.

There have been many posts accusing RCL of forcing people to buy packages, now I'm reading we are being forced to buy two packages... meh. You're either going to drink or you're not.

Well the non drinks package, pay per drink prices, have gone up substantially so that is correct to a high degree. Onboard prices go up, drinks packages go up making buying a package still more economical. Royal 2020:- "bottle of Heineken $25, buy a drinks package for $100 per day and you can drink as many as you want." Whilst people buy into this con they will get away from it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It doesn't affect you because you and your BF both drink. It DOES affect many other couples where only one of them drink. THAT'S why we care. We are being forced to pay twice as much because some people abuse the system.

I don't mean why do you care about the potential change in policy. I was generally referring to people here on CC who get extremely up in arms about people supposedly sharing drink packages, and wondering why they care so much. I get that you think those two are directly related, but I'm not buying into that at the moment. Other cruise lines do the same exact thing with all sorts of policies regarding dining and drinking and we all know if there's a money making bandwagon to jump on, the cruise lines will do it and label it as the norm. That's how I see it. Look at how the specialty dining fees and policies have changed across many lines. Doubtful that was fueled by any kind of scamming. They just know they can get away with it and make a lot more money. No one said life is fair. If I were in a relationship with a non drinker I'd just pay a la carte.

Yep. I drink loads incl. frappacinos and oj etc. so a package is good for me. My husband .... two drink a night so not good for him! Wonder what his reaction will be next time I mention a royal cruise? But, it's no surprise really. Think of NCL where you pay for your drinks in the base fare and have no choice at all.

I don't drink alcohol, don't even drink coffee. DH does. On Anthem in Feb 2018. If they extend this I guess he wont be getting the package.

Nothing booked but I agree

DD went on Carnival Nov. 2016 for honeymoon...her husband wanted the drink package she didn't but they require both to get the package. They said they didn't come close to drinks $700 so next time they will just pay as they go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One of the things I liked about RCCL. This past cruise we both got it. DH got his money's worth (and mine to). I probably broke even, but that was really trying. Even if I had gotten a drink every time I truly wanted one, it would have been cheaper than my drink package. I ended up breaking even by getting things like Chai Latte or hot chocolate, which was fine, but could have done without, extra bottles of water, strawberry mimosas at breakfast (again good but could have done without) or sometimes a 2nd or 3rd drink, when one would have been good (like at Dinner)

No one is forced to buy the package. It's simple math. If buying 2 packages doesn't make sense, go alacarte. If you want to pay in advance instead of having an onboard bill, buy yourself some gift certificates in advance for onboard credit.

This is a terrible rule to implement after a booking has been paid in full. Example - the 9/30 sailing final payment (penalty period) was this past Sunday. 23 friends are discussing arrangements, shows etc. and haven't completed the cruise personalizer - to include the purchasing of spa/alcohol packages, etc. In one cabin, the wife doesn't drink - noting that this family has 3 cabins (two with children) and could have put themselves separately with a child in order to allow the husband to buy his own drink package and not force the wife into buying one. You think now they will change names on the cabins in order to allow the husband to buy a package? Should have been notified in advance and/or implemented before final payment date. Have another wife just recently had gastric surgery - she won't need an alcohol package, and now the husband will need to buy two packages or not buy it at all. This family also had 2 cabins and could have arranged names differently so they could have been accommodated.

No one is forced to buy the package. It's simple math. If buying 2 packages doesn't make sense, go alacarte. If you want to pay in advance instead of having an onboard bill, buy yourself some gift certificates in advance for onboard credit.

Your logic and common sense have no place here.

What if one of the adults is pregnant? Does RCCL still make them buy the booze package?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, they will allow you to buy just the one drink package, or at least that is what they allowed in the past when everyone in the cabin had to buy the drink package.