Grand Stirrup Cay...shade?

uneamie

So, I've been curious as to why they do not supply "umbrellas" at GSC. Someone said it was because when they had them before a storm came in and blew them all away....so they decided not to replace them. Likely story! Wouldn't the logical thing be to put them away if there is a storm coming??? That said....can't they at least "rent them" for a bit less than those stupid clam shells? Case in point....here is the beach in Harvest

Cay full of umbrellas. So it's OK to have them on Harvest Cay but not GSC??? Hmmm....my guess is that they make $$$ off of you renting those stupid clam shells. I am bringing my own portable 24" fold up beach umbrella so we will be fine.........just find this issue annoying.

413454442.jpg

Edited by uneamie

We are also bringing beach umbrellas.

It's not even the cost of the clamshell the bothers me - it is the view! I'm at the beach - I don't want to be staring at the clamshell in front of me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are also bringing beach umbrellas.

It's not even the cost of the clamshell the bothers me - it is the view! I'm at the beach - I don't want to be staring at the clamshell in front of me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly!!! It looks like the only reasonable place to put a clamshell is in "the back"....otherwise it is very obtrusive to other people who are not using one. The cost is not totally an issue for us.....other than if I think that profit is the only reason they will not supply umbrellas then I resent it and get stubborn and won't rent one. That said, we live not more than 45 minutes from our beach here in NJ so buying this portable umbrella will more than make up for its cost of ( $39 ). Now I don't have to rent one which usually cost $15 every time we go.

So we can bring sun umbrellas with us? (leaving on the Gem next week)

We have a great beach umbrella, if we could bring it with us that would be great! Thought it might be worth the $39 not to lug it around....

(first time cruiser, thanks for any information!)

So we can bring sun umbrellas with us? (leaving on the Gem next week)

We have a great beach umbrella, if we could bring it with us that would be great! Thought it might be worth the $39 not to lug it around....

(first-time cruiser, thanks for any information!)

I probably wouldn't lug a regular beach umbrella around either. However the one I am bringing folds up into a 24-inch carry bag with a shoulder strap and easily fits into luggage. It's called a "portabella" at: http://portabrella.com/

So we can bring sun umbrellas with us? (leaving on the Gem next week) We have a great beach umbrella, if we could bring it with us that would be great! Thought it might be worth the $39 not to lug it around.... (first time cruiser, thanks for any information!)

Yes you can bring it with you.

No you should NOT lug it around with you.

Great Stirrup Cay offers little to no shade. The sun will be brutal. Highly recommend getting a clam shell for $30. You can rent one from the ShoreEx dept. and use your voucher as a priority tender ticket with it. Once you get to the island, pick a clam. The clam shell attendant will collect your voucher and set up the clam for you. Select a clam with a mesh ventilation panel at the back. If you pick a solid canvas clam, it will get very hot and you'll end up being a cooked clam.

Have a great time!

Hello

My family and I are just off the GEM, we went July 1-8. At Cay if you can get an early tender ticket do it so you will find what shade there is. As you walketowards the beach to your right is a large tree with big branches with lounge chairs and shade. We got three and for almost all day we were covered. The clam shell cost $35.00.

Home today from Gem 7/8 - 7/15. We brought 3 beach umbrellas to GSC!! I purchased a beach umbrella carry bag - it held 1 large umbrella and 2 smaller umbrellas. We were tender ticket 12 -- when we got to island we were able to find a group of loungers with some shade. The Sand was hard so we did not use the larger beach umbrella because it had to be twisted into sand. But the smaller ones we just kind of wedged between chairs sticking in sand. (No wind). It was absolutely no problem to check in umbrellas at pier in NYC - stuck in corner in cabin - carried over shoulder on tender. Only comment made by security boarding back onto ship " what is this". We answered beach umbrella and put through screener. So NO PROBLEM --- island is hot !!! Had a great time

Home today from Gem 7/8 - 7/15. We brought 3 beach umbrellas to GSC!! I purchased a beach umbrella carry bag - it held 1 large umbrella and 2 smaller umbrellas. We were tender ticket 12 -- when we got to island we were able to find a group of loungers with some shade. The Sand was hard so we did not use the larger beach umbrella because it had to be twisted into sand. But the smaller ones we just kind of wedged between chairs sticking in sand. (No wind). It was absolutely no problem to check in umbrellas at pier in NYC - stuck in corner in cabin - carried over shoulder on tender. Only comment made by security boarding back onto ship " what is this". We answered beach umbrella and put through screener. So NO PROBLEM --- island is hot !!! Had a great time
Yikes! Is the sand that hard on the whole island? I just bought a compact beach umbrella for the cruise so I sure hope I didn't waste my money. I don't think the one I bought can be used without anchoring it into the sand.

Yikes! Is the sand that hard on the whole island? I just bought a compact beach umbrella for the cruise so I sure hope I didn't waste my money. I don't think the one I bought can be used without anchoring it into the sand.

It may have been only around our spot. We sat near entry way because we were meeting others from a later tender

There is shade but limited. I would suggest getting in line early for tender tickets - I wanted til after 8 and there was a long line. I got 12 not too bad. Also they started calling tender numbers earlier than planned. We literally watched a family stop mid bite and run when announcements started. Lol!! So be ready to move!! Have fun. We had so much fun. Also I rented floats and my 50 dollar excursion was applied- didn't expect this. Pleasantly surprised!!

You wasted your money and will be stuck lugging this umbrella around with you the whole trip. Should have just rented a clamshell on the island. And you know that some port calls to GSC get cancelled due to high winds or waves (you anchor outside the reef in open ocean vs. anchoring in an enclosed harbor).

Just want to mention it was not a hardship to bring the umbrellas. Just slung over shoulder. The clamshells are weird and claustrophobic. Lol!! Even if I couldn't use the umbrellas it was worth the try. It worked out well for me. It would be so much better if beach umbrellas could be rented. The sun is so strong.

You wasted your money and will be stuck lugging this umbrella around with you the whole trip. Should have just rented a clamshell on the island. And you know that some port calls to GSC get canceled due to high winds or waves (you anchor outside the reef in open ocean vs. anchoring in an enclosed harbor).
Actually we live 45 minutes away from our NJ beach here. So it will get used. That said....the umbrella I bought is a compact travel beach umbrella called "Portabella". It is only 24" long when folded up and in it's bag. Not much to lug around if we have to.....and I certainly won't be lugging it around the "whole trip" LOL. The clam shells are not for me...I like having openness all around. Too claustrophobic in those shells. So we will make our stay on the island short if we can't find shade or can't use our umbrella. No problem.

Just want to mention it was not a hardship to bring the umbrellas. Just slung over shoulder. The clamshells are weird and claustrophobic. Lol!! Even if I couldn't use the umbrellas it was worth the try. It worked out well for me. It would be so much better if beach umbrellas could be rented. The sun is so strong.
I don't get why they can't offer umbrellas for rent. So many people cannot be in the sun all day...especially if you have little ones. They are almost forcing you to get a clam shell if you want to go on this island.

I find it humorous that some don't want to rent a clamshell because being with other clamshells.... YOUR view of the ocean is blocked yet you are bringing all sorts of portable umbrellas (some with multiple umbrellas) to put up which will block that very view you found so precious from the people behind you....... just sayin....

I find it humorous that some don't want to rent a clamshell because being with other clamshells.... YOUR view of the ocean is blocked yet you are bringing all sorts of portable umbrellas (some with multiple umbrellas) to put up which will block that very view you found so precious from the people behind you....... just sayin....
ugh!.....an umbrella nowhere near blocks the view like a clam shell does. Go park yourself in front of one and see for yourself. I sit on our NJ beaches every single year for 50 years now with umbrellas all over the beach.....never had any issues with them blocking my view. I don't go to the beach to stare at a tent in front of me. That said, your post makes me feel like you resent anyone bringing an umbrella and I have to wonder why? What's it to you if we do?

ugh!.....an umbrella nowhere near blocks the view like a clam shell does. Go park yourself in front of one and see for yourself. I sit on our NJ beaches every single year for 50 years now with umbrellas all over the beach.....never had any issues with them blocking my view. I don't go to the beach to stare at a tent in front of me. That said, your post makes me feel like you resent anyone bringing an umbrella and I have to wonder why? What's it to you if we do?

I don't resent people seeking shade at all..... I just found it funny that people complain about the clamshell blocking their view yet have no problem blocking others with their umbrellas. . . I've been behind portabrellas before along with other multi angle umbrellas and they certainly block the "view" (as does the clamshell)...... especially when the sun is behind people and they adjust the umbrella to a near 90 degree angle..... . do what you want but don't be offended when people point out the hipocrisy

I don't resent people seeking shade at all..... I just found it funny that people complain about the clamshell blocking their view yet have no problem blocking others with their umbrellas. . . I've been behind portabrellas before along with other multi angle umbrellas and they certainly block the "view" (as does the clamshell)...... especially when the sun is behind people and they adjust the umbrella to a near 90 degree angle..... . do what you want but don't be offended when people point out the hipocrisy
THere is no hypocrisy here...most people do not have their umbrella's low like a clam shell....they are generally up higher. Yes, tilted ones are just as obstructive but that's not the norm,,,, the norm is what I compare things to. That said...Why do you care?

THere is no hypocrisy here...most people do not have their umbrella's low like a clam shell....they are generally up higher. Yes, tilted ones are just as obstructive but that's not the norm,,,, the norm is what I compare things to. That said...Why do you care?

I will say it again.... I don't care what anyone does...... bring a tent for all I care..... I just voiced an observation that differs from yours..... the next time you want to take a picture or view the ocean you will have a clamshell or umbrella in your way.... high, low, medium, norm, not norm.... still obstructed.... you feel an umbrella is less of an obstruction, OK..... I don't. An umbrella at a baseball game is up high but still obstructs the field of play for those behind..... We can agree to disagree but my opinion is just as valid as yours...... so you can stop with the aggressive "why do I care".....

I will say it again.... I don't care what anyone does...... bring a tent for all I care..... I just voiced an observation that differs from yours..... the next time you want to take a picture or view the ocean you will have a clamshell or umbrella in your way.... high, low, medium, norm, not norm.... still obstructed.... you feel an umbrella is less of an obstruction, OK..... I don't. An umbrella at a baseball game is up high but still obstructs the field of play for those behind..... We can agree to disagree but my opinion is just as valid as yours...... so you can stop with the aggressive "why do I care".....
"why do you care?" is a question, not an aggressive. "I think it's funny" like you stated in your opinion, comes off as ridicule. You have a right to your opinion and I have a right to see right through it for what it is.