rodenboy

Flying from the UK to Puerto Rico!

Hello fellow British cruisers!! Has anyone here flew to Puerto Rico for a cruise that starts from there? If so, did you book your flight through the cruise company or did you do it separately.

What were the costs like to get there ? Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We flew BA to Miami and then swapped to AA down to San Juan.

On the way back we flew SJU to Philadelphia, spent a night there ( fabulous city by the way) and then flew home the next evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cheapest I've flown direct to PR was with Norwegian Air from Gatwick price at the time was under £500 and like the previous poster I have also done BA via Miami... which ever way you choose to fly I would recommend spending spending a few days pre or post cruise enjoying the island it has much to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You may want to re-think going to PR as it has been devastated by the Hurricane. I imagine it will be some time before it gets some semblance of catering for tourists.

To be fair, I posted the original question in July.

Yes I realise that.

However, depending on when you planned to go next year, it will likely be a poorer experience now with all the devastation.

To be fair, I posted the original question in July.

Certainly understand! Gosh, no way you could have known then what San Juan has experienced.

My point was that whatever was booked may need to be changed now while the TA and airlines have it fresh in their minds about the hurricane damage.

My point was that whatever was booked may need to be changed now while the TA and airlines have it fresh in their minds about the hurricane damage.

Most cruise companies don't know what they are planning in the next few week, let alone next year and I suspect the only way the OP could amend his booking would be to cancel and lose his deposit.

On the subject of PR, we flew over on a BA/AA combo from Heathrow via JFK, narrowly missing the airport closure in March this year by a few hours. We got very lucky. It certainly has made me now think twice about needing connecting flights for a cruise. Other guests flying via Miami weren't so lucky. Their flight was delayed and connection missed and had the night in Miami only just making the cruise start by a few hours. I'd never opt to use AA again.

Our flights were part of our package costing us £299 economy return. A no brainier not to use it. At the time, Norwegian and Virgin were the only airlines operating direct flights. I did look into the possibility of a San Juan start for next year also and Norwegian have now stopped. (They've just started a £149 service to Singapore which I'm personally thinking of utilising and having a short break there.)

What I learnt from my experience is if you deviate your plans through fear of missing your cruise because of severe weather, it's at your expense despite effectively saving your insurance company a fortune for a cancelled vacation.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

I hadn't booked yet - all hypotheticals at this stage so thank you all for the advice :)

I hadn't booked yet - all hypotheticals at this stage so thank you all for the advice :)

No worries, in that case, I would think about a cruise out of Florida instead, they will have changed any of the ports that are out of action and replaced them with others.