Serious Question about Internet on Princess

Carl Nival

It's just 90 days until my first Princess cruise! My traveling companion likes to stream TV shows. Can the internet on board a Princess ship handle this?

Particulars: We'll be on the Star Princess. What he does is download stuff from the Tivo app and then watches the shows on his phone. We're not talking about trying to use Netflix.

Thank you in advance for your help.

It's just 90 days until my first Princess cruise! My traveling companion likes to stream TV shows. Can the internet on board a Princess ship handle this?

Particulars: We'll be on the Star Princess. What he does is download stuff from the Tivo app and then watches the shows on his phone. We're not talking about trying to use Netflix.

Unlikely.

No.

I was actually able to FaceTime from the Coral Princess in December. It may depend on the ship. But it would be horribly expensive to stream a tv show, even if it were possible. I only FaceTimed for a few minutes on Christmas morning, using some of my elite minutes.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

Princess actually blocks streaming video services , face time and similar video services.

I don't believe it is a full block of video service. It is more a function of managing their bandwidth through the server. They limit certain services that tend to take a lot of bandwidth when other passengers are using the Internet. Off hours usage improves although everyone will experience a lag time because of the satellite delay. I have found that the cruise industry in general have improved their service greatly over the past 5 years or so.

I don't believe it is a full block of video service. It is more a function of managing their bandwidth through the server. They limit certain services that tend to take a lot of bandwidth when other passengers are using the Internet. Off hours usage improves although everyone will experience a lag time because of the satellite delay. I have found that the cruise industry in general have improved their service greatly over the past 5 years or so.

I read somewhere on the Princess site . They actually block the programs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I read somewhere on the Princess site . They actually block the programs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You could be very well right. In February on the Grand I was able to download a shot video very early in the morning. That is why I thought they would be doing something a bit more dynamically according to the bandwidth usage. I will ask the CB IT person on the next cruise.

If you have services like Sky Q, Netflix or Amazon Prime Video then you can now download shows and movies as part of your package to phones and tablets to use whilst abroad. I live it the UK and have used these services many times in offline mode around the world and on cruise ships on my iPad and iPhone.

Thank you, everybody, for your advice and guidance. I decided to purchase 240 minutes of internet access. It reads on my Cruise Personalizer as "Internet cafe". Can I use these minutes in my stateroom? How do you redeem your internet minutes if you prepaid for them like I did? Sorry for all the questions. I'm a Princess newbie.

One thing to know is that Princess Internet is extremely slow ( depending of course how many others are using the Internet at the time). Downloading a video at sea will take much longer than what you are probably use to at home ( if you are able to successfully do so at all).

I generally download the movies I want prior to leaving home.

Thank you, everybody, for your advice and guidance. I decided to purchase 240 minutes of internet access. It reads on my Cruise Personalizer as "Internet cafe". Can I use these minutes in my stateroom? How do you redeem your internet minutes if you prepaid for them like I did? Sorry for all the questions. I'm a Princess newbie.

You can use your minutes on any digital device you have access to and do it anywhere on the ship there is a good wifi signal. (If the signal is poor in your cabin, prop the door to the hallway open a little and you will get a much improved signal.)

Redeeming your minutes is easy. When you first go onto the ship's wifi, you need to access a link to the ship and this link will be listed in the embarkation day Patter (the daily list of events on the ship). Then just follow instructions. At some point having identified yourself, it will know how many minutes you have purchased and ask if that is what you want to use at no additional cost or do you want to purchase a bigger package of minutes. If any questions, the Internet Cafe manager can assist you.

Be sure to log off (it will tell you how) when you are finished as that is the only way to stop your minutes from being used.

I've seen it used at times but I wouldn't count on the connection speed to be fast enough to guarantee it most times.

Sure. But simply telling people it is blocked on princess isn't very helpful.

There was also some glitch with the princess internet, where one could disconnect their internet session,

but continue to use facetime for a few minutes afterward.

We found Internet to be very slow and unreliable on Royal Princess. It was disconnecting often. I had trouble posting photos on my fb page... Cannot even imagine streaming videos or anything.