Cruise Critic Community
CDNPolar

Vegan Diet on Viking Ocean? (Or River)

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Hello, we are WFPB diet.  I posted above.  We have just completed our 4th cruise on Viking and we have 3 more booked.  We cruise Viking both River and Ocean.

WFPB (Whole Food Plant Based) is not a simple diet for any chef to prepare.  Vegan food is more and more mainstream all the time but if you ask any Chef no matter how professional or how well trained to cook for you without using any oil, that is going to be in my opinion more than they can accommodate easily.

When we decided to go WFPB we clearly realized that we are a tiny tiny portion of the population and that we would have challenges when travelling.

Let me tell you however about OUR experience with Viking and diet.

First - call Viking and don't ask, but tell them what your dietary needs are.  If they tell you they DON'T do vegan or WFPB, that is fine, just ask them to include in the passenger manifest the dietary needs that you request.  State your needs and ask them to repeat them back.

When on board, talk to the Chef and the Maitre d' about your dietary restrictions.  

Our experience on a River Cruise last November with Chef Pedro is that he prided himself on creating Vegan options for us every day.  He also agreed to limit the oil and only for sautéing and no added oil.  Each day the Maitre d' came to us and explained the menus and what was available for us to be modified and if we did not like that option that they would create options for us.  They actually were very proud of what they served us every day and we were with 6 others on this cruise and all our travel companions said:  "I wish we said we were Vegan because I like your option over the menu." !!!   Haha.

On an Ocean cruise that we just completed - 15 days around Japan - one of the managers in the dining room approached us and knew us by name on the first day by our passport pictures.  Yes, Viking have a "Dietary Manager" on the Ocean ships now.  He talked to us at length and ensured that we were pleased with our choices everyday.

I will say that when you call in to Viking they have some work and training to do with their reservation centre.  But when you are on the ship we have only experienced the desire to accommodate us in every and any way.   I am sorry that you had the experience that you did.

Again - please don't take offence to this statement - but WFPB is in my opinion more to ask than you should expect.  Every commercial recipe out there has some component of fat or oil in it.  Think of how you have had to adjust at home and going to restaurants.  WFPB is not readily available and will be years before it is that common.  

Understanding that you may have adopted WFPB diet for serious or chronic health problems ( I eat this way because I am diabetic) you may have to be more open to eating slightly off the side of that diet for the length of your trip.  Again - no offence.  But if you are not willing to bend your rules to travel, I would say that you will have a hard time finding compliant food anywhere in the world.  There are Vegan cruises, but Vegan is NOT WFPB.  In fact Vegan's use more oil and fat than many diets.

I will end by saying that Viking have impressed us with the way they have treated our dietary needs.  This is why we continue to cruise and book more cruises.  

This is a very sensible approach and the information and recommendations are very helpful. We adopted a WFPB diet 5 weeks ago, which was after we booked our next VO cruise to Alaska in June of 2020. We eat primarily at the World Cafe and have already decided that as long as we can avoid meat, dairy, and eggs we are willing to eat something that may be prepared with or include oil. Since I’m allergic to soy, I will prioritize this in my dealings with Viking. They have been very accommodating on our prior cruises (1 river, 2 ocean). 

17 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Hello, we are WFPB diet.  I posted above.  We have just completed our 4th cruise on Viking and we have 3 more booked.  We cruise Viking both River and Ocean.

WFPB (Whole Food Plant Based) is not a simple diet for any chef to prepare.  Vegan food is more and more mainstream all the time but if you ask any Chef no matter how professional or how well trained to cook for you without using any oil, that is going to be in my opinion more than they can accommodate easily.

When we decided to go WFPB we clearly realized that we are a tiny tiny portion of the population and that we would have challenges when travelling.

Let me tell you however about OUR experience with Viking and diet.

First - call Viking and don't ask, but tell them what your dietary needs are.  If they tell you they DON'T do vegan or WFPB, that is fine, just ask them to include in the passenger manifest the dietary needs that you request.  State your needs and ask them to repeat them back.

When on board, talk to the Chef and the Maitre d' about your dietary restrictions.  

Our experience on a River Cruise last November with Chef Pedro is that he prided himself on creating Vegan options for us every day.  He also agreed to limit the oil and only for sautéing and no added oil.  Each day the Maitre d' came to us and explained the menus and what was available for us to be modified and if we did not like that option that they would create options for us.  They actually were very proud of what they served us every day and we were with 6 others on this cruise and all our travel companions said:  "I wish we said we were Vegan because I like your option over the menu." !!!   Haha.

On an Ocean cruise that we just completed - 15 days around Japan - one of the managers in the dining room approached us and knew us by name on the first day by our passport pictures.  Yes, Viking have a "Dietary Manager" on the Ocean ships now.  He talked to us at length and ensured that we were pleased with our choices everyday.

I will say that when you call in to Viking they have some work and training to do with their reservation centre.  But when you are on the ship we have only experienced the desire to accommodate us in every and any way.   I am sorry that you had the experience that you did.

Again - please don't take offence to this statement - but WFPB is in my opinion more to ask than you should expect.  Every commercial recipe out there has some component of fat or oil in it.  Think of how you have had to adjust at home and going to restaurants.  WFPB is not readily available and will be years before it is that common.  

Understanding that you may have adopted WFPB diet for serious or chronic health problems ( I eat this way because I am diabetic) you may have to be more open to eating slightly off the side of that diet for the length of your trip.  Again - no offence.  But if you are not willing to bend your rules to travel, I would say that you will have a hard time finding compliant food anywhere in the world.  There are Vegan cruises, but Vegan is NOT WFPB.  In fact Vegan's use more oil and fat than many diets.

I will end by saying that Viking have impressed us with the way they have treated our dietary needs.  This is why we continue to cruise and book more cruises.  

Thank you for posting this.  Your experiences are far more in keeping with what we have experienced and expect from Viking.  Sometimes I think attitude and approach can seriously affect the response one gets when making special requests!

17 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

As someone that is also WFPB with no oil (my cardiologist prescribed this diet for the record) so  I get it :)  I had to compromise and eat a whole lot of things I would not eat normally on my Viking cruise. I figured 1 week was not going to kill me, I stayed away from the meat and animal products but choices were either drown in oil or very few things I could eat safely.  Oceania is coming out with a Plant Based menu.  (just FYI ,  google it )

28 minutes ago, newcruiser1956 said:

As someone that is also WFPB with no oil (my cardiologist prescribed this diet for the record) so  I get it :)  I had to compromise and eat a whole lot of things I would not eat normally on my Viking cruise. I figured 1 week was not going to kill me, I stayed away from the meat and animal products but choices were either drown in oil or very few things I could eat safely.  Oceania is coming out with a Plant Based menu.  (just FYI ,  google it )

Yes - but be careful about "plant based" because the Beyond Meat Burger boasts to be Plant Based and it may have touched a plant in the making but not for very long.  Please be careful as there are many restaurants springing up that are "Plant Based" but they are not healthy options and NOT suitable for someone that is truly following a WFPB diet.  There is a big difference.

I started this post and it was a simple "ask for advice" question and it seems to have turned into an argument.

I am asking the Site Administrator to close this post.