Jump to content

WHO'S ON BOARD: Officers, Staff and Crew: PART 2


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Orator said:

Virgin has been heavily recruiting Celebrity personnel. Some, like Jordan Bernstein have  made the switch, most have not. Guess Virgin recognizes the quality of the Celebrity staff!

 

I'm sure that Captain Kate was their first choice (and yes, I know her husband is Virgin employee #1). I'm sure she is being compensated very well by Celebrity.

Edited by MisterBill99
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, spencerdrivecruiser said:

It is just a matter of time before Kate gives in to Virgin.  Jill Anderson will be the First HD on the ship. Pass the popcorn waiting for the next round of Celebrity Recruits. 

 

I dunno on Kate. It's probably best that she and her husband do not put all their eggs in one basket since there is no guarantee that Virgin will succeed.  Unless they offer to make her the CEO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There was some dissension because Kate wanted to work with her husband at Celebrity which of course is verboten.  I had heard through a source that Mr B. will allow it on his ships. He is very innovative and a trend setter.  Let see how this all plays out.  I can’t think of one married couple that would not want to see their spouses on a regular basis.  If they even have the same schedule, 3 months on, 3 months off, that only half a year together.  I doubt that’s do-able for the long run when you are young in your prime.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spencerdrivecruiser said:

I can’t think of one married couple that would not want to see their spouses on a regular basis.  If they even have the same schedule, 3 months on, 3 months off, that only half a year together.  I doubt that’s do-able for the long run when you are young in your prime.

 

Come on, how is that any different from the situation where one spouse is at home all of the time while the other is at sea for 3-6 months at a time?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spencerdrivecruiser said:

It is just a matter of time before Kate gives in to Virgin.  Jill Anderson will be the First HD on the ship. Pass the popcorn waiting for the next round of Celebrity Recruits. 

 

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

 

I dunno on Kate. It's probably best that she and her husband do not put all their eggs in one basket since there is no guarantee that Virgin will succeed.  Unless they offer to make her the CEO.

 

1 hour ago, spencerdrivecruiser said:

There was some dissension because Kate wanted to work with her husband at Celebrity which of course is verboten.  I had heard through a source that Mr B. will allow it on his ships. He is very innovative and a trend setter.  Let see how this all plays out.  I can’t think of one married couple that would not want to see their spouses on a regular basis.  If they even have the same schedule, 3 months on, 3 months off, that only half a year together.  I doubt that’s do-able for the long run when you are young in your prime.

 

1 hour ago, Beanb41 said:

Someone will be starting a Kate for President campaign next 

 

I have nothing really to add, but I'd like to make an observation.  I don't see anyone calling the other Captains by just their first name.  She has worked hard and earned her rank/title.  I think it would be respectful to address her when speaking about her as Captain Kate or Captain McCue.  Just a thought...

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EMBFlyer said:

 

 

 

 

I have nothing really to add, but I'd like to make an observation.  I don't see anyone calling the other Captains by just their first name.  She has worked hard and earned her rank/title.  I think it would be respectful to address her when speaking about her as Captain Kate or Captain McCue.  Just a thought...

She has made the point on social media that she just wants to be referred to as Captain for the points that you raised but she has for some reason especially amongst women contributors been elevated to some demi god status purely on account that she is a woman. It should be noted that Celebrity also have women on their Galapagos ships as Captains but they just get on with the job. McClure has also not been backward in promoting her social media profile so it is a two way street. Get on with the job and drive ships or become a media personality. If the latter is prominent then a degree of flak some deserved and perhaps some not is going to flow in that direction. Being very photogenic improves her profile and the fact that she is an American also increases her profile. If one reads the comments about her nearly all are from women correspondents, perhaps that says something . I guess the words of the Tammy Wynette song have some truth about them : "sometimes its hard to be a woman."

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, EMBFlyer said:

I have nothing really to add, but I'd like to make an observation.  I don't see anyone calling the other Captains by just their first name.  

 

This is not true.  There are a lot of other captains addressed by Captain (First Name).  Leo and Matt are two examples. 

Edited by Texed
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Texed said:

 

This is not true.  There are a lot of other captains addressed by Captain (First Name).  Leo and Matt are two examples. 

So you'd just walk up to the guy with the 5 gold stripes and call him Leo or Matt?

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, EMBFlyer said:

So you'd just walk up to the guy with the 5 gold stripes and call him Leo or Matt?

 

No sir/ma'am, I would walk up to them and say hello Captain Leo or hello Captain Matt.  😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Texed said:

 

No sir/ma'am, I would walk up to them and say hello Captain Leo or hello Captain Matt.  😊

Very few Celebrity Captains are called by their last name and these tend to be the more senior Captains.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Orator said:

Very few Celebrity Captains are called by their last name and these tend to be the more senior Captains.

I've noticed that's a trend on Royal Caribbean, too.  Over the PA, they tend to address themselves as Captain (First Name).

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

She has made the point on social media that she just wants to be referred to as Captain for the points that you raised but she has for some reason especially amongst women contributors been elevated to some demi god status purely on account that she is a woman. 

 

I hate how this has somehow erupted the "Captain Kate is nothing special" discussion but since it's started...

 

First, it's because she is the first American woman to be captain of a major vessel. Second, she is an incredibly nice person, as those of us who have met her can attest. And yes, she does a great job promoting Celebrity (and herself, if you like) on social media.

 

My other favorite Celebrity captain is Dimitrios Kafetzis, who was our captain on Silhouette and took over Edge the week we left (although we saw him while we were on board) and is now headed to take out Apex. Unfortunately, he is not on social media (despite my attempts to get him to join) so unless you've sailed with him, you won't know him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re on the Solstice for a 12 night cruise ending Nov 8.  Could Capt Tasos  be leaving in the middle of the cruise?  Or am I misinterpreting the spreadsheet?  Will we have Capt Alex instead for the entire cruise?

Edited by capsplace
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, capsplace said:

We’re on the Solstice for a 12 night cruise ending Nov 8.  Could Capt Tasos  be leaving in the middle of the cruise?  Or am I misinterpreting the spreadsheet?  Will we have Capt Alex instead for the entire cruise?

IDK specifically about your cruise, but I have been on cruises where the captain changes mid cruise. It happened on Silhouette this past December.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cruizinforever said:

Who will be the Captain on the Solstice inSeptember 2019?

 

1 hour ago, capsplace said:

We’re on the Solstice for a 12 night cruise ending Nov 8.  Could Capt Tasos  be leaving in the middle of the cruise?  Or am I misinterpreting the spreadsheet?  Will we have Capt Alex instead for the entire cruise?

Most likely Capt Alex for the Sept cruise. Don’t know when his rotation ends nor which captain takes over for him since Capt Tasos moves to EQ after his current stint on Solstice.

 

Capt Tasos has his time off (3 mos?) before joining Equinox on 11/2.

He returned to Solstice 6 weeks early  to cover for an emergency with the other captain’s (Zisis’) family. That was in Early April, before my 4/12/19 cruise.

 

Not sure what effect that has on the typical 3 mos on/3 mos off rotation. 

 

Jane

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:19 PM, Arno. said:

The list needs some major input but here is a partial update:

Aboard june 1.png

Thank you for the list Arno!

We are on Reflection again in November and was wondering who the Cruise Director was. We have our favorites and not so favorites. We have never met Giuseppe yet so hopefully he is a good one :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 4:47 PM, philpcruiser said:

Bumping.  Does anyone have an update on the Summit (staffing)?  We're sailing in two weeks.

Yes.

The Staff list is on the TV a real pain...IMG_0882.thumb.JPG.d854bcee8e53b4c7934fd957cd4a9753.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2020
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...