phantom5777

New Cunard Drink Package

Just received a promotion for new bookings that includes a drink package. According to the Cunard website Q&A section, they offer a coffee card and wine package. I contacted my travel agent and she says it is for ANY beverage up to $12. Are we safe to assume alcohol, wine, coffee, tea, soft drinks?

Anyone know for sure?

I'm guessing that's USA rather than Uk unless it's possibly the Grills

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok, I'm in the USA but cruise is in 2018 from Hamburg. Baltic cruise. Does it include ALL beverages priced up to $12 each? Are you still charged the 15% s/c?

Thank you for your replies!

Ok, I'm in the USA but cruise is in 2018 from Hamburg. Baltic cruise. Does it include ALL beverages priced up to $12 each? Are you still charged the 15% s/c?

Thank you for your replies!

We had drinks package last Xmas in PG & it included all drinks up tp $13( alcohol,juice,.coffee, soda etc )

15% was not charged. You cannot order a bottle of wine but can get unlimited glasses under price limit..

The prices appeared on your daily staenent but disappeared overnight.

I assume the drink package includes beverages in the mini-fridge?

You better check on that as I don't think that is included ?

No way to control who is accessing those drinks .

I assume the drink package includes beverages in the mini-fridge?

I would very much doubt that unless the passengers were travelling in Queen's Grill when they'd get the fridge contents and two bottles of wine/spirits of their choice, 'free' anyway..

Vannerhawk summed it up correctly. We were in PG in June and received this free drinks perk. It included just what Vannerhawk wrote about, but not the drinks in the fridge. Just about all the servers were very flexible and clever about meeting our drink needs within the $12 limit. We enjoyed our beverages. Oh, and we have the same deal on our upcoming October crossing, and are looking forward to it.

seems totally unfair that the offer is not available for cruisers in the UK who have already booked QG suites or are thinking of booking in the future. Surely it is only right that Cunard should have the same offers wherever you book your cruise.

seems totally unfair that the offer is not available for cruisers in the UK who have already booked QG suites or are thinking of booking in the future. Surely it is only right that Cunard should have the same offers wherever you book your cruise.

This is another case of double standards, unfortunately. United States cruising booking conditions imho are far more customer focused than the UK. Whatever the price is when we book, is the price we are stuck with, no reduction for us if the fair subsequently goes down for new bookings. In the US, I understand they just phone the cruise line and the new price is honoured.

This is another case of double standards, unfortunately. United States cruising booking conditions imho are far more customer focused than the UK. Whatever the price is when we book, is the price we are stuck with, no reduction for us if the fair subsequently goes down for new bookings. In the US, I understand they just phone the cruise line and the new price is honoured.

Just to clarify: in the US, if the fare goes down, yes - passengers can obtain that reduced price PROVIDED that it is not past final payment date. (Final payment date varies, depending on voyage but most often it is 120 days prior to sale date.) Also, many special offers state that no further price reductions may be made, and that deposit is non refundable and due within (usually) three days. Some special offers require non-refundable payment in full at the time of booking

I believe UK posters have mentioned special offers that they availed themselves of - and those offers were not available to North American passengers.

Salacia

Just to clarify: in the US, if the fare goes down, yes - passengers can obtain that reduced price PROVIDED that it is not past final payment date. (Final payment date varies, depending on voyage but most often it is 120 days prior to sale date.) Also, many special offers state that no further price reductions may be made, and that deposit is non refundable and due within (usually) three days. Some special offers require non-refundable payment in full at the time of booking

I believe UK posters have mentioned special offers that they availed themselves of - and those offers were not available to North American passengers.

Salacia

In the UK once we have booked the cruise we pay a deposit of 15% of cruise price if booked before final payment day and does not matter how far in advance we book our deposit is non refundable if we cancel and if price of cruise comes down we cannot access that new price. The only option we have if it is financially advantageous is cancel and lose your deposit and then book at the new lower price.

So book through the US website?
You can't,we live in Italy and we can't access cunard uk,even though we type it in.Cunard only recognises your location online.

You can't,we live in Italy and we can't access cunard uk,even though we type it in.Cunard only recognises your location online.

Use a VPN then you can access cunard uk or anywhere.

Hi,we live in UK for a few months a year and can access that website when there.We can access CP from abroard though.I was responding to the sarcastic suggestion that a UK resident should book via US website,which is impossible unless done via a US TA maybe,cheers,Brian.

What about booking through an US TA or US Travel website ?

Download "Tunnel Bear"

Tricks the target website that you are from a selected country.

I.e. - target UK location UK - tunnel rom ;). Simples

Long free useage

Vannerhawk summed it up correctly. We were in PG in June and received this free drinks perk. It included just what Vannerhawk wrote about, but not the drinks in the fridge. Just about all the servers were very flexible and clever about meeting our drink needs within the $12 limit. We enjoyed our beverages. Oh, and we have the same deal on our upcoming October crossing, and are looking forward to it.

How did you go about getting this offer. Was it offered to you or did you have to ask.

We received a mailing advertising various sailings with the special $12 drink offer. Additionally, when researching Cunard cruises, also saw it offered on the Cunard site as well as our travel agency. It does apply to specific sailing though.

The only time I have ever seen a "free drinks package" to Queens Grill suites was for a very short time last summer for our cruise in October. We booked our suite priced at £3000 pp and with discounts came to £2700 pp. Shortly after we booked they offered the so called "free drinks package" if you booked a QG suite and the Cunard price for our cruise was just over £3500 pp so to pay for the "free drinks package" Cunard increased the price by over £500 pp so not "free" after all.

I looked at the fine print on the drinks package and see that it only covers drinks up to $12. If a drink is more expensive, it will not be compensated and no partial payment will be allowed.

I looked at the Commodore Club menu and see that MANY items, including most, if not all, martinis and US-sized shots of call vodkas, are priced at $12.95 or $12.50 and are not covered. Similar shenanigans in the wine pricing. (Although in some cases two sizes of pour are available and the smaller ones fall within the guidelines)

The details http://www.cunard.com/settings/terms-and-conditions/us-fare-features/?page=17825&mg=0&lead=1

Menu http://www.cunard.com/Global/Images/Ships/QM2/refit/Commodore_Club_bar_menu_2016.pdf

Edited by MarkBearSF

I looked at the fine print on the drinks package and see that it only covers drinks up to $12. If a drink is more expensive, it will not be compensated and no partial payment will be allowed.

I looked at the Commodore Club menu and see that MANY items, including most, if not all, martinis and US-sized shots of call vodkas, are priced at $12.95 or $12.50 and are not covered. Similar shenanigans in the wine pricing. (Although in some cases two sizes of pour are available and the smaller ones fall within the guidelines)

The details http://www.cunard.com/settings/terms-and-conditions/us-fare-features/?page=17825&mg=0&lead=1

Menu http://www.cunard.com/Global/Images/Ships/QM2/refit/Commodore_Club_bar_menu_2016.pdf

Mark, the only drinks that expensive are specialty or with top shelf liquor. We had the package as Queens Grill in May when we did the roundtrip and never paid out of pocket for a drink the whole cruise. If I want the top shelf stuff, it's at home in my bar setup.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also for a strong pour they call it a double and charge for two single drinks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mark, the only drinks that expensive are specialty or with top shelf liquor. We had the package as Queens Grill in May when we did the roundtrip and never paid out of pocket for a drink the whole cruise. If I want the top shelf stuff, it's at home in my bar setup.

Look at the menu and see if it compares with your experience. I believe an earlier post on this thread (it could have been you) mentioned a $13 limit for the grills promotion at the time. That one dollar makes all the difference with the current pricing.

Certainly, one can have a perfectly good time within the limits of the package. In some cases ordering a smaller size glass or foregoing one's usual label. And foregoing common cocktails.

The best thing about the (upgraded) drinks package on Celebrity a few years ago was the simple convenience of not needing to worry. It appears that the current Cunard promotion offers anything but.

However, considering it's being offered at no additional cost, it may very well be a great option for many cruisers. I just think that it's important to know the details beforehand so as to set one's expectations and strategies appropriately.

- Mark

The possible downside is NCL offered free drinks package (up to $15) on our TA in 2016 on the Spirit. The passenger breakdown was about 50% Brits 30% US/Canadian, 20% elsewhere. We ran out of canned/bottle Beer three days away from Barcelona, I found that out when I wanted a beer instead of my usual drink. Made me laugh at the time.[emoji41]

On a similar promotion in the UK last year the price for a P1 increased by a £1,000.

After the promotion finished the fare went back down again.

That's a lot of drinking to make up for the difference.

On a similar promotion in the UK last year the price for a P1 increased by a £1,000.

After the promotion finished the fare went back down again.

That's a lot of drinking to make up for the difference.

I think that underlines the level of contempt Cunard (or Carnival) show for their customers. They really do think we are that gullible.

Cunard's pricing is very fluid. Everyone has their own price point at which they deem the cruise and stateroom/suite offered a 'good' price.

When we booked our last trip (back in October 2016 for a July 2017 cruise) they were offering the 'free unlimited drinks package' for Grills. It was what we considered a good price and the drinks promo was the icing on the cake. Two weeks after we booked, the price went up and there was no drinks promo.

It's not simply a case of Cunard putting the price up and offering a drinks promo, then reducing it back down again. There's lots of factors at play.

I would agree with ClanMcLean. We recently received the "$12 Drink Promo" in a mailing, which prompted me to look at sailings. We ended up finding a Princess Grill at an excellent price point, with the drink promo and OBC offered by our TA as the icing on the cake. The double icing was when my TA called yesterday and said Cunard even further discounted our P2 Grill! Very wonderful news!

We experienced a similar drink promotion on Celebrity, which really left libation consuming problem-free, and allowed us to indulge in various cocktails that we would never have considered. I do think we took advantage of the offer, but didn't sloppily over-consume and waste alcohol.

I'd say 85% of the drinks on offer were within price for the $12 package. You just need to make sure you ask for a small measure where appropriate e.g wine.

You don't need to add the service charge, so it's the pice on the menu.

For those who watch for these deals, HAL has a similar offer for bookings through mid-November. We booked Greece for August 2018 while on an Alaska cruise this week.

(I'm sure there's been discussion as to why Cunard seems not to be going to Greece in 2018. We'd much prefer to be on a Queen.)

Any likelihood that Cunard might extend their Drinks Package to U.K. bookers. I can accept that there can be different contractual arrangements for those who book in different countries, but onboard packages should apply to all passengers

Any likelihood that Cunard might extend their Drinks Package to U.K. bookers. I can accept that there can be different contractual arrangements for those who book in different countries, but onboard packages should apply to all passengers

Some of the people on here that had the offer are from the uk. It just depends on who they are trying to attract and different itineraries. There are also some very good OBC offers from time to time.